Old 09-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Mauro

Default IA64 or AMD64?

Hello.
I have a HP proliant DL580 G5 server with 4 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330
@ 2.40GHz processors.
What architecture port I've to install, IA64 or AMD64?
Thank you.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Mauro

On 20 September 2012 09:53, Markus Schönhaber
<debian-user@list-post.mks-mail.de> wrote:
> 20.09.2012 09:44, Mauro:
>
>> I have a HP proliant DL580 G5 server with 4 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330
>> @ 2.40GHz processors.
>> What architecture port I've to install, IA64 or AMD64?
>
> AMD64.
> IA64 is for Itanium processors. You'd know if you had one.

Ok, thank you, I have only Xeon processors.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:44:35 +0200, Mauro wrote:

> I have a HP proliant DL580 G5 server with 4 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330
> @ 2.40GHz processors.
> What architecture port I've to install, IA64 or AMD64? Thank you.

The available architectures are detailed and explained here:

http://www.debian.org/ports/index.en.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Stan Hoeppner

On 9/20/2012 2:44 AM, Mauro wrote:
> Hello.
> I have a HP proliant DL580 G5 server with 4 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330
> @ 2.40GHz processors.
> What architecture port I've to install, IA64 or AMD64?
> Thank you.

This may be a bit harsh, but it's the glaring truth: your employer
should fire you and hire someone qualified to do your job. The answer
you seek is only one click deep from the Debian home page, under the
"Support" heading on the right side of the page:

http://www.debian.org/ports/

On this page we find:

64-bit PC, (amd64)

First officially released with Debian 4.0. Port to the 64 bit AMD64
processors. The goal is to support both 32bit- and 64bit-userland on
this architecture. This port supports AMD's 64-bit Opteron, Athlon and
Sempron processors, and Intel's processors with EM64T support, including
the Pentium D and various Xeon and Core2 series.

Intel Itanium, IA-64

First officially released with Debian 3.0. This is a port to Intel's
first 64-bit architecture. Note: this should not be confused with the
latest Intel 64-bit extensions for Pentium 4 and Celeron processors,
called EM64T; for these, see the AMD64 port.

You are either:

1. Horribly lazy
2. Incompetent

--
Stan

Old 09-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Richard Hector

On 21/09/12 09:04, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> You are either:
>
> 1. Horribly lazy
> 2. Incompetent

Or having a bad day, or been dropped in the deep end by the employer, or
any one of a number of things we don't know about.

Suggesting google or debian.org or whatever is fine, but this is way
over the top, IMHO.

I'll assume _you're_ having a bad day :-)

Richard

Old 09-21-2012, 01:24 AM
Stan Hoeppner

On 9/20/2012 4:40 PM, Richard Hector wrote:
> On 21/09/12 09:04, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>
>> You are either:
>>
>> 1. Horribly lazy
>> 2. Incompetent
>>

> Or having a bad day, or been dropped in the deep end by the employer, or
> any one of a number of things we don't know about.
>
> Suggesting google or debian.org or whatever is fine, but this is way
> over the top, IMHO.
>
> I'll assume _you're_ having a bad day :-)

Not at all.

That box is a couple of generations old, however, it cost over $10K USD
when it was acquired, sans edu etc discounts. It was top of the line.
Anyone working for an organization with that kind of budget, acquiring
this caliber of hardware, should already know the basics of most, if not
all, processor architectures commonly used with Linux, both CISC/RISC,
and VLIW (EPIC). And if not, should be able to find it one click deep
on the website without needing to ask here.

IA-64 has been with us for just over a decade. x86-64/AMD64/EM64T have
been with us for almost exactly a decade. This should be common
knowledge by now, and especially so for someone working with such machines.

--
Stan

Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 AM
Joe Pfeiffer

Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> writes:

> On 9/20/2012 4:40 PM, Richard Hector wrote:
>> On 21/09/12 09:04, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>
>>> You are either:
>>>
>>> 1. Horribly lazy
>>> 2. Incompetent
>>>

>> Or having a bad day, or been dropped in the deep end by the employer, or
>> any one of a number of things we don't know about.
>>
>> Suggesting google or debian.org or whatever is fine, but this is way
>> over the top, IMHO.
>>
>> I'll assume _you're_ having a bad day :-)
>
> Not at all.
>
> That box is a couple of generations old, however, it cost over $10K USD
> when it was acquired, sans edu etc discounts. It was top of the line.
> Anyone working for an organization with that kind of budget, acquiring
> this caliber of hardware, should already know the basics of most, if not
> all, processor architectures commonly used with Linux, both CISC/RISC,
> and VLIW (EPIC). And if not, should be able to find it one click deep
> on the website without needing to ask here.
>
> IA-64 has been with us for just over a decade. x86-64/AMD64/EM64T have
> been with us for almost exactly a decade. This should be common
> knowledge by now, and especially so for someone working with such machines.

Why do you assume he's doing it for work? If he said something about
being an experienced sysadmin, I missed it. This could easily be a box
he bought as the n'th owner or from ebay or something.

Everybody has to start somewhere, and none of us knew what we were doing
when we started (sort of by definition). That he's at that stage now
doesn't mean he's an idiot.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:43 AM
Stan Hoeppner

On 9/20/2012 8:43 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> Why do you assume he's doing it for work? If he said something about
> being an experienced sysadmin, I missed it. This could easily be a box
> he bought as the n'th owner or from ebay or something.

The noise level of a DL580 is 52 dBA. 99.999% of people will not
tolerate this noise level, continuously, in their home, unless it
resides in the basement or a dedicated compute room. It draws about
400-500 watts continuously at idle, up to 900 at load. 99.999% of
people will not tolerate this on the home electric bill. Additionally,
it requires a 4 post rack/cabinet. 99.99999% if people don't have nor
will they ever install a 4 post rack in their home.

Those that would have this in the home are hardware freaks. I have some
experience here. Note my email domain. Hardware freaks will know
everything about such a box before they acquire it for home use.

Thus, it's very unlikely that this is a home use scenario.

> Everybody has to start somewhere <snip>

Yes, but people don't start with a quad socket DL580. This is analogous
to learning to drive in a Porsche 911 turbo. I doubt this was a 2nd
hand purchase, but if it was, and if it's in his home, then the OP has
more money than grey matter, and simply likes acquiring expensive toys
that he doesn't know how to use.

Regardless of all that above, he could have found the answer more
quickly and more easily via Google or simply hitting the home page and
clicking the ports link.

--
Stan

Old 09-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2012-09-20 at 19:43 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> That he's at that stage now doesn't mean he's an idiot.

Even if somebody should be an idiot, I wonder about the intolerance.
Isn't it wanted that everybody should use FLOSS?

Old 09-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2012-09-20 at 23:43 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> It draws about 400-500 watts continuously at idle, up to 900 at load.
> 99.999% of people will not tolerate this on the home electric bill.

99.9991% of the people don't have knowledge about this, their motto is
"more is better".