Old 09-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Pietro Paolini

Default Disable X-Server temporary

Hi all,

*

How disable the X-Server temporary ?

*

Thanks,

Pietro.

*

Old 09-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Mi, 19 sep 12, 07:37:39, Pietro Paolini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> How disable the X-Server temporary ?

If you use gdm/gdm3 you can boot with option 'text'. Otherwise you have
to give more details about your system. Why do you need to disable X?

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Bob Proulx

Pietro Paolini wrote:
> How disable the X-Server temporary ?

It all depends upon how you are starting X. Are you using one of the
xdm/gdm/kdm/lightdm X display managers? I will assume so since that
is most typical.

Do you really need to disable it? Ctrl-Alt-F1 gets you to the
first text console and Alt-F2, F3, and so forth for the next few linux
virtual consoles.

I often use 'service gdm stop' (substitute the name of your xdm
program in place of gdm) to stop the running X server. But that won't
disable it for a reboot if that is the type of disabling that you are
asking about. Something that survives a reboot.

In that case you can simply prevent those from running. They use a
file /etc/X11/default-display-manager to control which one starts. I
often hack that file and change the name to /usr/sbin/lightdm.disabled
to prevent it from starting and then remove the ".disabled" to allow
it to start again afterward.

Bob

Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2012-09-19 at 07:37 +0000, Pietro Paolini wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> How disable the X-Server temporary ?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Pietro.

By switching the running level, resp. by stopping X. It depends to the
display manager you're using and to the way your startup is handled. I
suspect you're using init and GDM. As root try "/etc/init.d/gdm stop"
without the "s. If this shouldn't work, google for Debian running level
or Debian stop X etc..

Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Brian

On Wed 19 Sep 2012 at 02:21:00 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Pietro Paolini wrote:
> > How disable the X-Server temporary ?
>
> It all depends upon how you are starting X. Are you using one of the
> xdm/gdm/kdm/lightdm X display managers? I will assume so since that
> is most typical.
>
> Do you really need to disable it? Ctrl-Alt-F1 gets you to the
> first text console and Alt-F2, F3, and so forth for the next few linux
> virtual consoles.
>
> I often use 'service gdm stop' (substitute the name of your xdm
> program in place of gdm) to stop the running X server. But that won't
> disable it for a reboot if that is the type of disabling that you are
> asking about. Something that survives a reboot.
>
> In that case you can simply prevent those from running. They use a
> file /etc/X11/default-display-manager to control which one starts. I
> often hack that file and change the name to /usr/sbin/lightdm.disabled
> to prevent it from starting and then remove the ".disabled" to allow
> it to start again afterward.

Without hunting down and editing files there is:

update-rc.d gdm disable

Old 09-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Mi, 19 sep 12, 10:50:03, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> By switching the running level, resp. by stopping X. It depends to the
> display manager you're using and to the way your startup is handled. I
> suspect you're using init and GDM. As root try "/etc/init.d/gdm stop"
> without the "s. If this shouldn't work, google for Debian running level
> or Debian stop X etc..

By default all runlevels are identical on Debian.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Brian

On Wed 19 Sep 2012 at 14:58:06 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> By default all runlevels are identical on Debian.

You didn't really mean to say that, did you.?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2012-09-19 at 14:58 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 19 sep 12, 10:50:03, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > By switching the running level, resp. by stopping X. It depends to the
> > display manager you're using and to the way your startup is handled. I
> > suspect you're using init and GDM. As root try "/etc/init.d/gdm stop"
> > without the "s. If this shouldn't work, google for Debian running level
> > or Debian stop X etc..
>
> By default all runlevels are identical on Debian.

Oops, indeed: "Default Debian installation does not make any difference
between runlevels 2-5. You may customize them to your liking." -
http://wiki.debian.org/RunLevel

OT: When I read about Debian's runlevel 1 I noticed that for
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/212 using Firefox 15.0.1 I
have to scroll to the right, no line break .

Ralf

Old 09-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Mi, 19 sep 12, 13:07:47, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 19 Sep 2012 at 14:58:06 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
> > By default all runlevels are identical on Debian.
>
> You didn't really mean to say that, did you.?

Right, I should have written runlevels 2-5.

Anyway, the point is, one can indeed shut down X by changing runlevels,
but the result may not be the one expected

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 09-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 07:37:39 +0000, Pietro Paolini wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi, but please, do not send html formatted posts.

> How disable the X-Server temporary ?

By disabling the load of the login manager from the init 3 level (e.g.,
you can run "update-rc.d [your_login_manager_here] disable").

Greetings,

--
Camaleón