-   -   Configure Virtual IP interfaces (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/705140-configure-virtual-ip-interfaces.html)

Pietro Paolini 09-18-2012 03:40 PM

Configure Virtual IP interfaces

Hi all,

*

I am not really sure this is the correct newsletter* for* my question, if not please apologize me and suggest me a right newsletter, thanks.

*

My goal is to simulate more than one IP interface using just a physical interface, for do that I tried using this alias

*

Ifconfing ethX:1 <IP>

*

But when I try to send a packet over that interface I see the IP source the same as the original, and real,* Ethernet interface. Then I tried to use TAP interface but I was unable to “link” them with my physical one, I notice them can communicate
each others but can not ping (ping –I tap0* <ip real IF>) the original one.

It is still valid if I create a bridge with all them.

*

I would like avoid to install many Virtual Box as I need but what I want is exactly what it do: build a new virtual interface and bridge it with a real one in order to have more IP interface attached at one physical.

*

Any suggestion ?

*

Thanks in advance,

Pietro.

Chris Davies 09-19-2012 02:30 PM

Pietro Paolini <P.Paolini@ext.adbglobal.com> wrote:
> My goal is to simulate more than one IP interface using just a physical
> interface, for do that I tried using this alias - ifconfing ethX:1 <IP>

"ethX" is your real interface, yes?

> But when I try to send a packet over that interface I see the IP source
> the same as the original, and real, Ethernet interface.

It depends where you're trying to send it to.

Consider this addressing:

eth0 192.168.1.1
eth0:1 172.16.2.2

Then ping 172.16.2.4 will use 172.16.2.2 as source address, and ping
192.168.1.6 will use 192.168.1.1 as the source address.

Chris

Camalen 09-19-2012 05:32 PM

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 15:40:24 +0000, Pietro Paolini wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi :-)

(people, avoid sending html formatted posts, they are really annoying to
deal with...)

> My goal is to simulate more than one IP interface using just a physical
> interface, for do that I tried using this alias
>
> Ifconfing ethX:1 <IP>

More information about virtual interfaces can be found here:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_virtual_interface
http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#Multiple_IP_addresses_on_One_ Interface

> But when I try to send a packet over that interface I see the IP source
> the same as the original, and real, Ethernet interface.

That sounds logic because there is only "one" real interface handling the
traffic.

> Then I tried to use TAP interface but I was unable to "link" them with
> my physical one, I notice them can communicate each others but can not
> ping (ping -I tap0 <ip real IF>) the original one. It is still valid
> if I create a bridge with all them.
>
> I would like avoid to install many Virtual Box as I need but what I want
> is exactly what it do: build a new virtual interface and bridge it with
> a real one in order to have more IP interface attached at one physical.
>
> Any suggestion ?

Mmm... I'm not sure to have properly understood your main goal here. Can
you please detail what's what you want to get?

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Pedro Eugênio Rocha 09-20-2012 08:11 PM

Configure Virtual IP interfaces

Pietro,

Can you send us the output of "ifconfig" and "route -n"? Maybe this way
it would be easier for us understanding what you're trying to do.

Best,

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Pietro Paolini

--
Pedro Eugênio Rocha