Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Brent Clark

Default Ignore package dependency ruby.

Hiya

I need to install puppet on one of my machines. Problem is, I already
have Ruby Enterprise, and i don't want to have both on the same machine.

If you see the following:

num-web01:/tmp# aptitude -t squeeze-backports install puppet facter git-core
augeas-lenses{a} debconf-utils{a} facter libaugeas-ruby1.8{a}
libaugeas0{a} libruby{a} libruby1.8{a} libshadow-ruby1.8{a} puppet
puppet-common{a} ruby{a} ruby-json{a} ruby1.8{a}

git-core
1 packages upgraded, 13 newly installed, 0 to remove and 51 not upgraded.

Ruby is looking to be pulled in.

Would anyone know of a way to exclude / ignore Ruby?

Kind Regards
Brent Clark

Archive: 50588B92.6060500@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/50588B92.6060500@gmail.com

Old 09-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Darac Marjal

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 04:56:18PM +0200, Brent Clark wrote:
> Hiya
>
> I need to install puppet on one of my machines. Problem is, I
> already have Ruby Enterprise, and i don't want to have both on the
> same machine.

I'm not familiar with "Ruby Enterprise", but I assume it's a
non-packaged version of ruby?

> If you see the following:
>
> num-web01:/tmp# aptitude -t squeeze-backports install puppet facter git-core
> augeas-lenses{a} debconf-utils{a} facter libaugeas-ruby1.8{a}
> libaugeas0{a} libruby{a} libruby1.8{a} libshadow-ruby1.8{a} puppet
> puppet-common{a} ruby{a} ruby-json{a} ruby1.8{a}
> git-core
> 1 packages upgraded, 13 newly installed, 0 to remove and 51 not upgraded.
>
> Ruby is looking to be pulled in.
>
> Would anyone know of a way to exclude / ignore Ruby?

You have a number of options:
* See if Ruby Enterprise is available as a .deb (this is the best
option as it will register with the package manager)
* See if Ruby Enterprise is available as some other package which can
be converted using "alien".
* If you installed Ruby Enterprise using the typical "./configure;
make; make install", consider replacing the final step with
"checkinstall".

Note, however, that these may not provide all the right "lib..."
dependencies, though.

So, as a last resort, you can use "equivs" packages
(http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html) which
will allow you to create a "dummy" package, letting the package system
know that, yes, you DO actually have something that provides "ruby".