Old 09-18-2012, 12:57 PM
T Elcor

Default Grub2: grub.cfg for live Knoppix running from USB-card

Hi,

Am trying to create a bootable USB card running Knoppix, which I use as a recovery tool in case if there are problems with my main Debian system.

I succeeded creating a bootable USB-card based on grub1 but am having problems with grub2, see http://knoppix.net/wiki/USB_Based_FAQ for instructions I used.

Anyone running Knoppix from a USB-card with grub2? How does your /boot/grub/grub.cfg look like?

Thanks

Old 09-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:57 AM, T Elcor <telcor@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Am trying to create a bootable USB card running Knoppix, which I
> use as a recovery tool in case if there are problems with my main
> Debian system.
>
> I succeeded creating a bootable USB-card based on grub1 but am
> having problems with grub2, see http://knoppix.net/wiki/USB_Based_FAQ
> for instructions I used.
>
> Anyone running Knoppix from a USB-card with grub2? How does
> your /boot/grub/grub.cfg look like?

Don't you think that you;e more likely to find Knoppix users on a
Knoppix list like debian-knoppix or in a Knoppix Forum like
http://knoppix.net/forum/ ?

Old 09-18-2012, 03:45 PM
T Elcor

> Don't you think that you;e more likely to find Knoppix users on a
> Knoppix list like debian-knoppix or in a Knoppix Forum like
> http://knoppix.net/forum/ ?

I think you're right, of course. I simply don't have an account there and was hoping maybe I could solve this little problem without creating new accounts (already have too many). Thanks

Old 09-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Brian

On Tue 18 Sep 2012 at 05:57:54 -0700, T Elcor wrote:

> Am trying to create a bootable USB card running Knoppix, which I use
> as a recovery tool in case if there are problems with my main Debian
> system.

To satisfy our curiosity: what does Knoppix on a USB device as a
recovery tool give you that Debian on the device doesn't?

> I succeeded creating a bootable USB-card based on grub1 but am having
> problems with grub2, see http://knoppix.net/wiki/USB_Based_FAQ for
> instructions I used.
>
> Anyone running Knoppix from a USB-card with grub2? How does your
> /boot/grub/grub.cfg look like?

The question you really wanted to ask was -'How do I boot Knoppix on my
Debian machine and copy it to a USB stick?' Which would have nicely put
us on-topic.

Anyway: in /etc/grub.d/40_custom put

menuentry "Knoppix Adriane" {
set root=(hd0,1)
loopback loop /boot/isos/knoppix-adriane.iso
linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux bootfrom=/dev/sda1/boot/isos/knoppix-adriane.iso
initrd (loop)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
}

changing (hd0,1) and sda1 to suit your situation. Run 'update-grub' and
boot into Knoppix. Get a terminal, plug in a USB stick and transfer
Knoppix to it with 'flash-knoppix'.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM, T Elcor <telcor@yahoo.com> wrote:
> From: Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>
>>
>> Don't you think that you;e more likely to find Knoppix users on a
>> Knoppix list like debian-knoppix or in a Knoppix Forum like
>> http://knoppix.net/forum/ ?
>
> I think you're right, of course. I simply don't have an account
> there and was hoping maybe I could solve this little problem
> without creating new accounts (already have too many).

There'll hopefully be someone here who'll know and reply but it seems
too specific to Knoppix to expect an answer here. (I understand your
account problem though!).

Looking at the url that you posted earlier, I assume that you've
already tried a straight transposition of the grub1 stanza into a
grub2 one:

menuentry "Knoppix" {
linux /boot/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us
apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
}

Old 09-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Brian

On Tue 18 Sep 2012 at 17:28:22 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> There'll hopefully be someone here who'll know and reply but it seems
> too specific to Knoppix to expect an answer here. (I understand your
> account problem though!).
>
> Looking at the url that you posted earlier, I assume that you've
> already tried a straight transposition of the grub1 stanza into a
> grub2 one:
>
> menuentry "Knoppix" {
> linux /boot/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us
> apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
> initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
> }

Knoppix boots using grub-legacy so wouldn't the OP have to change to
GRUB 2 first? Considering the OS can be installed to a USB device from
the CD I'm beginning to wonder why GRUB 2 matters and what exactly the
problem is.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Tom H

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue 18 Sep 2012 at 17:28:22 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> There'll hopefully be someone here who'll know and reply but it seems
>> too specific to Knoppix to expect an answer here. (I understand your
>> account problem though!).
>>
>> Looking at the url that you posted earlier, I assume that you've
>> already tried a straight transposition of the grub1 stanza into a
>> grub2 one:
>>
>> menuentry "Knoppix" {
>> linux /boot/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us
>> apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
>> initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
>> }
>
> Knoppix boots using grub-legacy so wouldn't the OP have to change to
> GRUB 2 first? Considering the OS can be installed to a USB device from
> the CD I'm beginning to wonder why GRUB 2 matters and what exactly the
> problem is.

The OP specifically asked for grub2. Maybe he want to add a Knoppix
stanza to his Debian grub2 setup.