FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-16-2008, 01:49 AM
Chris Walters
 
Default JFS / Unsupported file systems

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Alex Samad wrote:
| Hi
|
| I remember reading in the list that JFS was a dying FS, because IBM
| wasn't maintaining it full time. And that it might disappear from the
| kernel soon.
|
| Any one still using it. I was actually thinking of using it for my /tmp
| directory
|
| Alex

Hi Alex,

I use JFS, and have been quite satisfied with its performance, and reliability.
~ On the subject of dead file systems, if they're going to remove JFS from the
kernel because IBM is no longer supporting it, then they'd better also remove
the reiserfs, as well. It is also totally unmaintained. [Google 'reiserfs' or
'hans reiser' - without the quotes, and you'll see why it is unlikely that it
will be supported again - his site is down, as well].

Anyhow, JFS hasn't given me any problems, and at one time I used it for
everything except for my /boot partition.

Regards,
Chris
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIcBAEBCgAGBQJIBVs1AAoJEIAhA8M9p9DAgRUP/3Dn5ELqeeYZnYtnUUW53ugh
bwOONsPFlAs5oRFV7a242SjaAm2RWvOODTPCU9ZAVV1QSlYzl9 hmc2k3OOo6NbeB
38coTkK9yw+1mMGM3ED9hU90nIRUL1+2WZVZ8N19BMlC5NzVnV eAPyBT5awOGRVj
cHPPslMCgmnZZRrIXPcKnYwjZUzLfYxwVmby+lpGOD9OcXrC/zsAjqrrVlCJDYf8
PjH667jiH3cGMTgolmfgVJs1oe7Z0fgiUavBwhIoy4yiJPbxYc o70Jd7z/iDSJ15
TZsywHL7ZmQ6ozorT/zJJEm9lTFq1xufSBClKuliZaznwbjxVeyVHO0y+69X2n4T
0/FDy3NLOKMAguT0uCnasbFYcSaVxsKRKNasQheBfxAGLLrkDUtL tPlZ18WwwCyC
QSVglWfDatME5NWOIZsOw9PsiCmpwxhsAZWXZL9mMBDMwZO7pW Gnys48UZLNNSXE
ds9ggzqZZoBqheMwaz+xFemwVbWnV0LtBNN3L+nfGFet2ZxKmE X3pT0qYQ3NGCLv
NMWkbAHX63xgHQ3FKiR9NGhNch8LSLK2zqujXNNKjlMbOeNrlp 10q5rKYh+1MmDC
oWcsvo3ugiZsVnunYf4oJ9Q4jzWbcibs8mhjlRvR3PU+4HLgLW wqtj5ydI2Um3kb
DZ5LECTnGpio+UL61ayT
=wkee
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-16-2008, 03:07 AM
Alex Samad
 
Default JFS / Unsupported file systems

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:49:44PM -0400, Chris Walters wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA512
>
> Alex Samad wrote:
> | Hi
[snip]
> Hi Alex,
>
> I use JFS, and have been quite satisfied with its performance, and reliability.
> ~ On the subject of dead file systems, if they're going to remove JFS from the
> kernel because IBM is no longer supporting it, then they'd better also remove
> the reiserfs, as well. It is also totally unmaintained. [Google 'reiserfs' or
> 'hans reiser' - without the quotes, and you'll see why it is unlikely that it
> will be supported again - his site is down, as well].
>
> Anyhow, JFS hasn't given me any problems, and at one time I used it for
> everything except for my /boot partition.
yes i have read about hans, also read bad things about reiserfs. also
read bad things about xfs but i have a ups sho that should be okay.

most of the followup googling I did on jfs seems to give the impression
that jfs is not that fast a fs on lots of small files.


>
> Regards,
[snip]
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a
> subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>

--
"I knew it might put him in an awkward position that we had a discussion before finality has finally happened in this presidential race."

- George W. Bush
12/02/2000
Crawford, TX
describing a phone call to Sen. John Breaux.
 
Old 04-16-2008, 04:16 AM
Hose
 
Default JFS / Unsupported file systems

On Apr 15, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Chris Walters wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Alex Samad wrote:
| Hi
|
| I remember reading in the list that JFS was a dying FS, because IBM
| wasn't maintaining it full time. And that it might disappear from
the

| kernel soon.
|
| Any one still using it. I was actually thinking of using it for
my /tmp

| directory
|
| Alex

Hi Alex,

I use JFS, and have been quite satisfied with its performance, and
reliability.
~ On the subject of dead file systems, if they're going to remove
JFS from the
kernel because IBM is no longer supporting it, then they'd better
also remove
the reiserfs, as well. It is also totally unmaintained. [Google
'reiserfs' or
'hans reiser' - without the quotes, and you'll see why it is
unlikely that it

will be supported again - his site is down, as well].

Anyhow, JFS hasn't given me any problems, and at one time I used it
for

everything except for my /boot partition.

Regards,
Chris


I have to agree - I've been using a combo of reiser and jfs for the
past 5 years as different parts of production systems, and I find both
to be fairly reliable, and much less annoying to use than ext{2,3}.
Unfortunately I'm not sure where to go from here on out for the
future, as JFS *does* seem to be on a dead-end path, and reiser4 isnt
even close to being standard (then again, even finding a JFS supported
live cd can sometimes be a hassle). I have a severe dislike for ext,
though I haven't looked much at 4. Anyone have suggestions? ZFS
looks interesting, but I've heard mixed things of it in practice.


hose


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-16-2008, 04:21 AM
Chris Walters
 
Default JFS / Unsupported file systems

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Alex Samad wrote:
| On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:49:44PM -0400, Chris Walters wrote:
|> Alex Samad wrote:
|> | Hi
| [snip]
<snip squared>
|> Anyhow, JFS hasn't given me any problems, and at one time I used it for
|> everything except for my /boot partition.
| yes i have read about hans, also read bad things about reiserfs. also
| read bad things about xfs but i have a ups sho that should be okay.
|
| most of the followup googling I did on jfs seems to give the impression
| that jfs is not that fast a fs on lots of small files.

Hi Alex,

Well, every file system has its good points and its flaws. Reiser set out to
create the "perfect" file system, and ReiserFS performs admirably on lots of
small files - better than any of the others. Its main flaw is that version 3
is prone to FS corruption, and version 4 is not complete (you can run it, with
a kernel patch, but it is not everything that it was promised to be).

JFS, in my experience performs equally well with all sizes of files, with the
drawback that, with time, it will slow down (probably due to file system
fragmentation). I find that doing a full backup, running 'mkfs.jfs' on the
partition, and restoring the data fixes that problem.

XFS. I've used it and, believe it or not, I found it not really much faster
than the EXT3 file system. Then there is the problem that it uses extensive
buffering to achieve this "speed boost", which I never saw - basically meaning
that you must have a UPS or you *will* lose data.

EXT3. Of course we all know the benefits and flaws of this one, and its
predecessor. I thought I would bring it up because it is the 'tried and true'
file system of Linux based systems.

Regards,
Chris
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIcBAEBCgAGBQJIBX7VAAoJEIAhA8M9p9DAjBAP/A0w7l5OIJCtJnfb4Gq9dYIq
jhLizcPy0G38/Mt0FHImHePRmMTVd8DJfOtQnqgxFJtMchMi6X8eygJFCHDOxNN H
EQWf78Z2uWSejFo2qtD+4OTKWq2Wznd/H93hjG3oc3Ty8l3LhNRs4KEJqVbZKYAM
RgAQ80U20DitiqC6ZXz/2w9ZnhJMD3u7YAgHP85ZiU7UQe5pP1wq9alDrECVZ68S
yZbEV+8GD1sDwB7wn/KPpBPN26/l+fC73jguVuR7yKAmCKDt67wymiNxLj7FVRvf
8SRowAHmZNDqpiHcvmkxoOo+0Y86EwdZ3v2WW52EgqNCYLSarf Gv+/gNaAXciMmD
csCzD0ssgnj9YF5DbWU/rwirMxvIYdp9EqNGYkp85FclqL9mjkiQws8gTcHXuaYA
/rCpPtmD5VaImWtRU+QcZfnaIt8StZKbVbjN+msQX5whx/DwDj27CjTN81rIcfZm
wCP0TC1X6oihVG4yqM3gvQ99Et4cSD+do88qdnxiDMk0RktBN7 HQ4QLIm5ONMxah
Y/dwdmE4rKx37YfYH+cn/+fo7slx33+5+Ylii8UJTIx8dBfCMvD9AabLWJQ5cebb
xeoYBwIbqGPcAMHuui+1Y6C87TkPJ+Em8uUgmcsYrCuXbteTAI SwNZhJZ/3tp07Q
HbELYtiYc44Xa1qArLhe
=eFGm
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-16-2008, 06:39 AM
Chris Walters
 
Default JFS / Unsupported file systems

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Hose wrote:
| On Apr 15, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Chris Walters wrote:
<snip>
|> I use JFS, and have been quite satisfied with its performance, and
|> reliability.
|> ~ On the subject of dead file systems, if they're going to remove JFS
|> from the
|> kernel because IBM is no longer supporting it, then they'd better also
|> remove
|> the reiserfs, as well. It is also totally unmaintained. [Google
|> 'reiserfs' or
|> 'hans reiser' - without the quotes, and you'll see why it is unlikely
|> that it
|> will be supported again - his site is down, as well].
|>
|> Anyhow, JFS hasn't given me any problems, and at one time I used it for
|> everything except for my /boot partition.
<snip>
|
| I have to agree - I've been using a combo of reiser and jfs for the past
| 5 years as different parts of production systems, and I find both to be
| fairly reliable, and much less annoying to use than ext{2,3}.
| Unfortunately I'm not sure where to go from here on out for the future,
| as JFS *does* seem to be on a dead-end path, and reiser4 isnt even close
| to being standard (then again, even finding a JFS supported live cd can
| sometimes be a hassle). I have a severe dislike for ext, though I
| haven't looked much at 4. Anyone have suggestions? ZFS looks
| interesting, but I've heard mixed things of it in practice.
|
| hose

Hello,

Actually, you usually don't need a LiveCD with support for JFS. You can use a
tool called RIPLinuX (the RIP stands for "Recovery is Possible"). It comes in
the form of a bootable ISO that can be used to do many things. The latest
version is 4.5 - I have not looked at it yet, but it seemed to support JFS,
XFS, Reiserfs 3/4, the EXT 2/3 file systems, and some others, I think. The
link is here.

http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/

As for ext4dev, I tried it, and I wouldn't bother with it, just yet. To enable
it, you must have it enabled in your kernel. Then using the utils is a tricky
proposition - you have to download an older version of e2fsprogs with a patch
and compile the patched version to use any of the utilities on it (e.g. fsck).
It really wasn't all that great, on the performance end, either. I'd rather
wait until they either stabilize it, or someone picks up Reiser4fs and decides
to work on it.

Regards,
Chris
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIcBAEBCgAGBQJIBZ87AAoJEIAhA8M9p9DAicwQAKQbwnUS8g Q9DDb5jx2HjEuT
Ep/aeH8FhKmeNkM4ts1HnJLnceE5fR5AHikkR9TSlLv/kgzCh6ZE/1vtimgwghBB
In/jK2LpzJciR9X0b3bmzLJ5bdry3qNNen3NNfp4qZLbXQGpesSEL zA4TeDm5Qgl
Uvj7zgpwiRAOF1EGsu5iL0l4TS19INZ5Pb70/iqOAaVEljePZj/zFyqIzFXL4boH
MishailOnU2Cc+5+9DBUsax9i63JwWNT/6RKb+4DuF9c5Fshhx2uZlYz26+XzIa5
cDCCT1zWLVZ9SX8a7S+PeXPWU0Z1QIPmUFknJRCrTI7TzKUn2V OcN51bt8tMKmEr
LW5CC59cxZc3/s53XRTts2WpeqF8q+TZ2dmAY/oFXzno1PcZypiQdyKTs4XcPAhK
QkzrWligdX153w9e8jTx+DcTcWUlD/EHzww60+0HyKHCnTHLa0mhIdbv5xsl22J+
hCfLksIhb+w+2GUL/6dsCA8ugcUXJJ0mmj/8tNLNKFzV3iE7MC7lAYUcyInwLepR
fpHO+Xg9KhNCxAi7MEx5yX2NhMF1UIkUo9bP3af6FXyvAEhdJp tk7N38BDMNa321
Wg5rXbAs5gxd6Iqe1LoX3835RWmnSqRLINYcwuIBWODAisPQXG cE2LkYyFXBaZ0t
bo5Nhxh8F52qAfRoSK1Y
=uZ1E
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default JFS / Unsupported file systems

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 04/15/08 23:16, Hose wrote:
>
[snip]
> sometimes be a hassle). I have a severe dislike for ext, though I

Why?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

We want... a Shrubbery!!
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFIBcTOS9HxQb37XmcRAi6AAJ9lNs/9uGG7VDQEb8/cwAoUw7+2HgCg15Ol
Nifc0FHvyzfx/R2O4bt4mPo=
=G/qg
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-28-2008, 11:17 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"
 
Default JFS / Unsupported file systems

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:16:12PM -0500, Hose wrote:
> On Apr 15, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Chris Walters wrote:

> I have to agree - I've been using a combo of reiser and jfs for the
> past 5 years as different parts of production systems, and I find both
> to be fairly reliable, and much less annoying to use than ext{2,3}.
> Unfortunately I'm not sure where to go from here on out for the
> future, as JFS *does* seem to be on a dead-end path, and reiser4 isnt
> even close to being standard (then again, even finding a JFS supported
> live cd can sometimes be a hassle). I have a severe dislike for ext,
> though I haven't looked much at 4. Anyone have suggestions? ZFS
> looks interesting, but I've heard mixed things of it in practice.

FreeBSD has had ffs2 for a while and OpenBSD is just bringing it into
the main there (I guess they figure its secure enough now) which solves
their fs>1TB limitation. Can Linux rw ffs2?

Doug.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-28-2008, 11:25 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"
 
Default JFS / Unsupported file systems

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:16:12PM -0500, Hose wrote:


On Apr 15, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Chris Walters wrote:




I have to agree - I've been using a combo of reiser and jfs for the
past 5 years as different parts of production systems, and I find both
to be fairly reliable, and much less annoying to use than ext{2,3}.
Unfortunately I'm not sure where to go from here on out for the
future, as JFS *does* seem to be on a dead-end path, and reiser4 isnt
even close to being standard (then again, even finding a JFS supported
live cd can sometimes be a hassle). I have a severe dislike for ext,
though I haven't looked much at 4. Anyone have suggestions? ZFS
looks interesting, but I've heard mixed things of it in practice.



FreeBSD has had ffs2 for a while and OpenBSD is just bringing it into
the main there (I guess they figure its secure enough now) which solves
their fs>1TB limitation. Can Linux rw ffs2?

Doug.



What is annoying about ext3? Not looking for a religious debate, or
which is better then the other, just asking/
"and much less annoying to use than ext{2,3}". I find the fs to be
transparent for day to day use. What annoyance? What horror have I missed?


--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dchesser


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Alex Samad
 
Default JFS / Unsupported file systems

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 07:17:56PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:16:12PM -0500, Hose wrote:
> > On Apr 15, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Chris Walters wrote:
>
> > I have to agree - I've been using a combo of reiser and jfs for the
> > past 5 years as different parts of production systems, and I find both
> > to be fairly reliable, and much less annoying to use than ext{2,3}.
> > Unfortunately I'm not sure where to go from here on out for the
> > future, as JFS *does* seem to be on a dead-end path, and reiser4 isnt
> > even close to being standard (then again, even finding a JFS supported
> > live cd can sometimes be a hassle). I have a severe dislike for ext,
> > though I haven't looked much at 4. Anyone have suggestions? ZFS
> > looks interesting, but I've heard mixed things of it in practice.
>
> FreeBSD has had ffs2 for a while and OpenBSD is just bringing it into
> the main there (I guess they figure its secure enough now) which solves
> their fs>1TB limitation. Can Linux rw ffs2?

some reason that xfs is not being talked about?

>
> Doug.
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>

--
"I understand there's a suspicion that we?we're too security-conscience."

- George W. Bush
04/14/2005
Washington, DC
 
Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default JFS / Unsupported file systems

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 04/28/08 19:22, Alex Samad wrote:
[snip]
>
> some reason that xfs is not being talked about?

We hate it because Dr. Evil uses it.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

We want... a Shrubbery!!
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFIFo1gS9HxQb37XmcRAssaAKCXr1ta1pFnwgt9gVsZGv K/My1UygCgww3g
AbfA07PcKuVvRGLSHB+5J5c=
=p9Xc
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org