Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Camaleón

Default Is it safe to remove /usr/share/locale after 'locales' package is removed

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:47:23 +0200, Zsolt Ero wrote:

(...)

> My question is that is it safe to remove the all the leftover file from
> /usr/share/locale after removing the locales package?
>
> Or are those files required for anything else?

(...)

Google points to a tool called "localepurge", available from the usual
repositories. Before manually removing folders that where not purged
after the locale packages have been removed, I would look at this, just
to get a second opinion.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2012-09-17 19:22 +0200, Camaleón wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:47:23 +0200, Zsolt Ero wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> My question is that is it safe to remove the all the leftover file from
>> /usr/share/locale after removing the locales package?
>>
>> Or are those files required for anything else?
>
> (...)
>
> Google points to a tool called "localepurge", available from the usual
> repositories. Before manually removing folders that where not purged
> after the locale packages have been removed, I would look at this, just
> to get a second opinion.

Besides localepurge, there is also dpkg's path-exclude option (in
Squeeze and later), see [1].

Cheers,
Sven

1. http://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/11/15/save-disk-space-by-excluding-useless-files-with-dpkg/