Old 09-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Zsolt Ero

Default Is it safe to remove /usr/share/locale after 'locales' package is removed

I'm trying to make a minimalistic Debian install for a low-mem VPS
box. I'll be uninstalling the locales package, as there is no need for
any kind of locale support for my purposes (only a few server
programs, English only is perfectly enough).

My question is that is it safe to remove the all the leftover file
from /usr/share/locale after removing the locales package?

Or are those files required for anything else?

I know that there are a few temporary perl ... LC_ALL missing kind of
errors after removing the locales package, but it is normal and is
fixed after the first reboot. My question about that if there is no
locales package, is there any point in keeping the files?

Zsolt