Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 PM
lee

Default What is playing videos in web browsers?

Hi,

trying out chromium, I have found that both seamonkey and chromium are
able to play arbitrary videos found on youtube. I used to have
libflashplayer.so in the ~/.mozilla/plugins directory which used to play
such videos. I have removed it for testing and both browsers still play
videos. In the past, seamonkey was unable to play these videos when the
flash player library was removed.

What might they be using to play these videos? Where is configured what
they use?

Pstree doesn't show it, and 'lsof |grep seamonkey |wc -l' says
4845. Searching for "flash" or "play" in the output of lsof doesn't find
any results, and manually browsing almost 5000 lines without really
knowing what to look for isn't exactly something I like to do.

--
Debian testing amd64

Old 09-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Frank McCormick

trying out chromium, I have found that both seamonkey and chromium are
able to play arbitrary videos found on youtube. I used to have
libflashplayer.so in the ~/.mozilla/plugins directory which used to play
such videos. I have removed it for testing and both browsers still play
videos. In the past, seamonkey was unable to play these videos when the
flash player library was removed.

What might they be using to play these videos? Where is configured what
they use?

Pstree doesn't show it, and 'lsof |grep seamonkey |wc -l' says
4845. Searching for "flash" or "play" in the output of lsof doesn't find
any results, and manually browsing almost 5000 lines without really
knowing what to look for isn't exactly something I like to do.

Chrome has built-in Flash - it's called PepperFlash so it does not
depend on external libraries,

--
Cheers
Frank

Archive: 50550663.9040204@videotron.ca">http://lists.debian.org/50550663.9040204@videotron.ca

Old 09-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Peter Viskup

trying out chromium, I have found that both seamonkey and chromium are
able to play arbitrary videos found on youtube. I used to have
libflashplayer.so in the ~/.mozilla/plugins directory which used to play
such videos. I have removed it for testing and both browsers still play
videos. In the past, seamonkey was unable to play these videos when the
flash player library was removed.

What might they be using to play these videos? Where is configured what
they use?

Pstree doesn't show it, and 'lsof |grep seamonkey |wc -l' says
4845. Searching for "flash" or "play" in the output of lsof doesn't find
any results, and manually browsing almost 5000 lines without really
knowing what to look for isn't exactly something I like to do.

Hi Lee,
there is something like HTML5 already out.
Try to have a look on http://www.youtube.com/html5 and then search for
HTML5 support for your favorite browser and you will get an answer.

--
Peter

Archive: 50550C0F.1050807@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/50550C0F.1050807@gmail.com

Old 09-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 01:15 +0200, Peter Viskup wrote:
> there is something like HTML5 already out.
> Try to have a look on http://www.youtube.com/html5 and then search for
> HTML5 support for your favorite browser and you will get an answer.

AFAIK HTML5 draft doesn't replace flash completely. Its said that it
doesn't provide what's needed for commercial usage. OTOH at least one
company perhaps won't include flash, to ensure that users buy games etc.
by their iRipoff-Shop.

Regards,
Ralf

Old 09-16-2012, 03:02 AM
Bob Proulx

Frank McCormick wrote:
> lee wrote:
> >trying out chromium, I have found that both seamonkey and chromium are
> >able to play arbitrary videos found on youtube. I used to have
> >libflashplayer.so in the ~/.mozilla/plugins directory which used to play
> >such videos. I have removed it for testing and both browsers still play
> >videos. In the past, seamonkey was unable to play these videos when the
> >flash player library was removed.
> >
> >What might they be using to play these videos? Where is configured what
> >they use?

Youtube supports the brand new HTML5 with direct video object support.
If the browser does too then Flash is not used. Instead the browser
plays the video directly. It is still under development and is not
yet perfect but is quite usable. Here is a reference:

http://www.youtube.com/html5

> Chrome has built-in Flash - it's called PepperFlash so it does not
> depend on external libraries,

Chrome is the nonfree version. It is nonfree because it includes
Flash and probably other nonfree things. Chromium is the free version
and does not have Flash nor any other nonfree thing embedded. That is
the specific difference between Chrome and Chromium. Chromium will
use a Flash plugin just like Firefox will use a Flash plugin.

Chromium is packaged and available for Debian from the main Debian
repositories. Chrome is available directly from Google but is not
available from Debian because it does not meet the DFSG.

Bob

Old 09-16-2012, 04:08 AM
lee

Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> writes:

> On 15/09/12 06:30 PM, lee wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> trying out chromium, I have found that both seamonkey and chromium are
>> able to play arbitrary videos found on youtube. I used to have
>
> Chrome has built-in Flash - it's called PepperFlash so it does not
> depend on external libraries,

Interesting, I was considering this possibility. It doesn't explain how
seamonkey can play flash, unless it has it built in as well.

Adobe says on their website: "Flash Player 11.2 is the last supported
Flash Player version for Linux. Adobe will continue to provide security
updates."[1]

What's that supposed to mean? Will we soon have to go without flash
when that version becomes incompatible, unless we use chromium?

[1]: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

--
Debian testing amd64

Old 09-16-2012, 04:48 AM
lee

Peter Viskup <skupko.sk@gmail.com> writes:

> there is something like HTML5 already out.
> Try to have a look on http://www.youtube.com/html5 and then search for
> HTML5 support for your favorite browser and you will get an answer.

Hmmm. They are saying I'm participating in a test and seamonkey
supports Video-Tag and WebM (whatever that is) and doesn't support
h.264. They are saying chromium supports all of it.

How do I get h.264 support in seamonkey?

I'll gladly remove the stupid flash player, I always hated it. Yet when
I go to [1] for a test, neither seamonkey nor chromium play flash. Now
what?

Hm and I have installed these xul-ext-* things packages, i. e. adblock,
flashblock and flashgot. They don't seem to work with chromium, it says
I don't have any extensions. Are they for other browsers only? If they
don't work, I can't use chromium. These adds are too annoying.

[1]: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

--
Debian testing amd64

Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Mark Allums

there is something like HTML5 already out.
Try to have a look on http://www.youtube.com/html5 and then search for
HTML5 support for your favorite browser and you will get an answer.

Hmmm. They are saying I'm participating in a test and seamonkey
supports Video-Tag and WebM (whatever that is) and doesn't support
h.264. They are saying chromium supports all of it.

How do I get h.264 support in seamonkey?

I'll gladly remove the stupid flash player, I always hated it. Yet when
I go to [1] for a test, neither seamonkey nor chromium play flash. Now
what?

HTML 5 and a video =/= Flash. Also,

Shockwave =/= Flash.

Shockwave (predecessor to Flash) is about dead, and Flash itself is on
its way to being abandoned, and the less well-supported OSes will lose
it first.

What you have to do is wait for your web site(s) to move to the new thing.

< Hm and I have installed these xul-ext-* things packages, i. e. adblock,

flashblock and flashgot. They don't seem to work with chromium, it says
I don't have any extensions. Are they for other browsers only? If they
don't work, I can't use chromium. These adds are too annoying.

XUL is a Mozilla thing. Debian packages it as a separate entity.
Chrome/Chromium has its own plugins/addons. Go to Google for some of those.

[1]: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

Shockwave is not Flash.

Archive: 50557E51.4020709@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/50557E51.4020709@allums.com

Old 09-16-2012, 07:29 AM