Old 09-18-2012, 02:19 AM
lee

Default What is playing videos in web browsers?

Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 08:26:13PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
>> >
>> There used to be mozilla-mplayer, but it looks like it's not in the
>> Squeeze repos. There is mozilla-plugin-vlc. Maybe give that a shot.
>>
> Hmm, I just tried it and many of the videos on youtube and vimeo won't
> play. I got a few youtube videos to play, but they seemed to be using
> HTML5. I installed the gnash plugin and some of the youtube videos
> started working, but vimeo isn't working.
>
> I can't figure out how to get the vlc plugin to play anything...
>
> By the way, I also notice that there is totem-mozilla in the Squeeze
> repos, and I have it installed. But I can't seem to use it.

Hm, I installed browser-plugin-vlc, and it shows up on the aboutlugins
page. There's also gnash, registered for
"application/x-shockwave-flash". The vlc plugin is registered for many
types. Now if we could somehow register the vlc plugin for
"application/x-shockwave-flash" instead, it might work.

When I look at "Edit->Preferences->Helper Applications" in seamonkey, it
tells me that the vlc plugin is supposed to be used to play "Flash
video". This can be changed to xine (Why not vlc and mplayer? I have
those installed, too, and I don't remember installing a xine plugin for
seamonkey (which I might have years ago).) and to "Always ask" (which it
never does). There's also "Shockwave Flash file" for which it says "Use
Shockwave Flash", and I can change that to use gnash or be asked.
What's the difference between "Flash video" and "Shockwave Flash File"?

The browser could just let me download the files. Why doesn't it do
that, that would be so much easier. Why does this have to be so
complicated?

--
Debian testing amd64

Old 09-18-2012, 04:19 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 23:42 +0200, lee wrote:
> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 23:09:43 +0200, lee wrote:
> >
> > what trouble are you having with Adobe Flash Player?
>
> Besides that I hate it, if you use it, you don't have key bindings like
> you do in mplayer. It probably doesn't use VDPAU, either.
>
> There might be the problem that, in a while, you can't play videos with
> it anymore since Adobe says there aren't going to be any further
> releases. I don't know what their plans are, perhaps it just becomes
> obsolete and what's built into the web browsers replaces it.
>
> >> It's no more than a video which mplayer can play once you can download
> >> it, so what's the problem?

Flashplayer is for more than just for playing videos. At the moment
flashplayer still works, so why not using it? Once flashplayer is
dropped there might be better solutions available. Since tablet PCs and
mobiles are affected too, a huge market, there will be successors.
Perhaps web designers then will take care about accessibility. I at
least know one blind Linux user who's forced to download flash stuff (to
listen to audio).

Regards,
Ralf

Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 23:42:57 +0200, lee wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 23:09:43 +0200, lee wrote:
>>
>> interactive applications. Anyway, what trouble are you having with
>> Adobe Flash Player?
>
> Besides that I hate it, if you use it, you don't have key bindings like
> you do in mplayer. It probably doesn't use VDPAU, either.

I neither like it, but Adobe Flash Player is the only 1:1 replacement for
Adobe Flash Player, we like it or no :-(

> There might be the problem that, in a while, you can't play videos with
> it anymore since Adobe says there aren't going to be any further
> releases. I don't know what their plans are, perhaps it just becomes
> obsolete and what's built into the web browsers replaces it.

Adobe will continue the maintenance of the Linux packages but no new
releases which means only security patches will be delivered. If you ask
me, I prefer this way: on every Flash Player update there's a high chance
for something that was working it simply breaks so Adobe decision is fine
with me.

OTOH, html5 is now at the corner, my hope is that Flash Player for the
web dies in a very near future...

>>> It's no more than a video which mplayer can play once you can download
>>> it, so what's the problem?
>>
>> None, what problem are you having? Do you have any flash player
>> installed and it fails?
>
> I installed gnash and it doesn't play flash.

(...)

I mean what problem you had with Adobe Flash Player. The rest of the
flash player implementations fail in a way or another.

> So how do I make it so that seamonkey uses mplayer to play all videos?
> You seem to think there's no problem with that.

Yes, because there's no problem with that unless you explicety mention
one. There are (or "there were", I hope they are still there!) plugins to
view flash videos from Mozilla browsers using mplayer -or another video
player- as backend.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 PM
lee

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 23:42:57 +0200, lee wrote:
>
>> There might be the problem that, in a while, you can't play videos with
>> it anymore since Adobe says there aren't going to be any further
>> releases. I don't know what their plans are, perhaps it just becomes
>> obsolete and what's built into the web browsers replaces it.
>
> Adobe will continue the maintenance of the Linux packages but no new
> releases which means only security patches will be delivered. If you ask
> me, I prefer this way: on every Flash Player update there's a high chance
> for something that was working it simply breaks so Adobe decision is fine
> with me.
>
> OTOH, html5 is now at the corner, my hope is that Flash Player for the
> web dies in a very near future...

There is also the possibility that they come up with a new version for
other OSs. They could add features in the new version that make it
impossible to play videos which are compatible with the new version with
the old one. Once the old version is incompatible, there's no point in
continuing to provide security updates for it.

Well, there's not point in worrying about it. We'll see what happens.

>>> None, what problem are you having? Do you have any flash player
>>> installed and it fails?
>>
>> I installed gnash and it doesn't play flash.
>
> (...)
>
> I mean what problem you had with Adobe Flash Player. The rest of the
> flash player implementations fail in a way or another.

It sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, depending on the website you're
looking at. Some want you to download some software. It's just
retarded.

>> So how do I make it so that seamonkey uses mplayer to play all videos?
>> You seem to think there's no problem with that.
>
> Yes, because there's no problem with that unless you explicety mention
> one. There are (or "there were", I hope they are still there!) plugins to
> view flash videos from Mozilla browsers using mplayer -or another video
> player- as backend.

Ok, then how do I do that?

--
Debian testing amd64