Old 09-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Richard Owlett

Default Finding "man page" related information on the WEB

1. I'm looking for something similar to a quick reference
card one might have carried in a shirt pocket. I want
something organized by function rather than alphabetically.
What I found with Google were too verbose and organized
alphabetically.

2. At the moment I do not have a functioning Linux system so
I am getting man pages from
http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi . That generally
works fine. At the end of many pages is something similar to:

<BEGIN QUOTE>
SEE ALSO
The full documentation for cp is maintained as a
Texinfo manual. If
the info and cp programs are properly installed at
your site, the com-

mand

info coreutils 'cp invocation'

should give you access to the complete manual.
<END QUOTE>

How do I find "the complete manual" on the WEB?

TIA

Archive: 50548D9E.6070308@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/50548D9E.6070308@cloud85.net

Old 09-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 09:15:58 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> 1. I'm looking for something similar to a quick reference card one might
> have carried in a shirt pocket.

Like this?

http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#refcard

> I want something organized by function rather than alphabetically. What
> I found with Google were too verbose and organized alphabetically.
>
> 2. At the moment I do not have a functioning Linux system so I am
> getting man pages from
> http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi . That generally works fine.

Well, man pages are a bit "spartan" and their main goal is not explaining
concepts but arguments that you can append to the commands.

> At the end of many pages is something similar to:
>
> <BEGIN QUOTE>
> SEE ALSO
> The full documentation for cp is maintained as a
> Texinfo manual. If
> the info and cp programs are properly installed at
> your site, the com-
> mand
>
> info coreutils 'cp invocation'
>
> should give you access to the complete manual.
> <END QUOTE>
>
> How do I find "the complete manual" on the WEB?

You mean the "info" pages? You have to run the suggested command "as is",
e.g.:

info coreutils 'cp invocation'

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Brian

On Sat 15 Sep 2012 at 09:15:58 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> info coreutils 'cp invocation'
>
> should give you access to the complete manual.
> <END QUOTE>
>
> How do I find "the complete manual" on the WEB?

"info coreutils" in a search engine gave it me as the second hit.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Richard Owlett

Brian wrote:

should give you access to the complete manual.
<END QUOTE>

How do I find "the complete manual" on the WEB?

"info coreutils" in a search engine gave it me as the second hit.

DUH! Do I have to admit how many times I've given similar
advice ;/

It is even formatted in a manner that provides what I was
looking for when a asked for something like the pocket
reference cards of old.

Thank you.