-   -   Preseed for Wheezy - Multi-disk Alternative (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/703992-preseed-wheezy-multi-disk-alternative.html)

09-15-2012 06:10 AM

Preseed for Wheezy - Multi-disk Alternative

>From what I have read, it looks like preseeding is only good for one
disk. So I am looking for alternatives.

I would guess that it would be possible to write a script for partman.
So I wonder how/where/when such a script should be run. Any suggest on
scripting for partman would be appreciated.

Are there other ways to partition multiple drives during an automated
installation?

The installation is from a USB stick.

ray

Camaleón 09-15-2012 05:21 PM

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 23:10:52 -0700, ray wrote:

> From what I have read, it looks like preseeding is only good for one
> disk. So I am looking for alternatives.

(...)

Where did you get that impression? :-?

I think preseeding should be able to work with multiple devices and
partitions, you will only have to use the right naming that points to the
device ("/dev/sda", "/dev/sdb", and so on...) and maybe a bit of bash
programming.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

09-16-2012 03:50 AM

Preseed for Wheezy - Multi-disk Alternative

> (...) Where did you get that impression? :-?

The 'instructions' inside the installer state one disk. The examples on
this website state one disk. The threads in this mail list state one
disk.I have not experience but with out an example, I am not sure how to
experiment.

> I think preseeding should be able to work with multiple devices
> and partitions, you will only have to use the right naming
> that points to the device ("/dev/sda", "/dev/sdb", and so on...)
> and maybe a bit of bash programming. Greetings, -- Camaleón

I guess I could put multiple lines to configure files and see what
happens, but my concern is that since the developers say singal disk, I
may get it to work one time but there may be no guarantee that it will
continue to work. I have no idea how I might use bash programming in
this. What interaction would be useful this and where would the bash be
used?

ray

Camaleón 09-16-2012 03:21 PM

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 20:50:32 -0700, ray wrote:

>> (...) Where did you get that impression? :-?
>
> The 'instructions' inside the installer state one disk. The examples on
> this website state one disk. The threads in this mail list state one
> disk.I have not experience but with out an example, I am not sure how to
> experiment.

(...)

Ah, okay. But the fact the sample preseed files do not show a multi-disk
layout does not mean it cannot be done.

I Googled a bit a got some hits:

http://bit.ly/ORct20

You can see some examples listed there and start your own experiments (I
would recommed a virtual machine for this, it will be a quicker way to
run the tests before doing it for real).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Tom H 09-16-2012 05:11 PM

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 23:10:52 -0700, ray wrote:
>
>> From what I have read, it looks like preseeding is only good for one
>> disk. So I am looking for alternatives.
>
> Where did you get that impression? :-?
>
> I think preseeding should be able to work with multiple devices and
> partitions, you will only have to use the right naming that points to the
> device ("/dev/sda", "/dev/sdb", and so on...) and maybe a bit of bash
> programming.

You cannot use partman recipes to format more than one disk unless
you're using mdraid or lvm.

Camaleón 09-16-2012 05:30 PM

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 13:11:12 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 23:10:52 -0700, ray wrote:
>>
>>> From what I have read, it looks like preseeding is only good for one
>>> disk. So I am looking for alternatives.
>>
>> Where did you get that impression? :-?
>>
>> I think preseeding should be able to work with multiple devices and
>> partitions, you will only have to use the right naming that points to
>> the device ("/dev/sda", "/dev/sdb", and so on...) and maybe a bit of
>> bash programming.
>
> You cannot use partman recipes to format more than one disk unless
> you're using mdraid or lvm.

You mean there's some limit that avoids the user to run additional
commands for partitioning more that one disk? If so, can you please
expand this info?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Tom H 09-16-2012 07:00 PM

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 13:11:12 -0400, Tom H wrote:

>>> Where did you get that impression? :-?
>>>
>>> I think preseeding should be able to work with multiple devices and
>>> partitions, you will only have to use the right naming that points to
>>> the device ("/dev/sda", "/dev/sdb", and so on...) and maybe a bit of
>>> bash programming.
>>
>> You cannot use partman recipes to format more than one disk unless
>> you're using mdraid or lvm.
>
> You mean there's some limit that avoids the user to run additional
> commands for partitioning more that one disk? If so, can you please
> expand this info?

Put another way, if you want to format more than one disk and aren't
using mdraid or lvm, you have to do so with "d-i preseed/late_command
string ..." (or post-install).

Camaleón 09-17-2012 01:23 PM

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 15:00:54 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>>> You cannot use partman recipes to format more than one disk unless
>>> you're using mdraid or lvm.
>>
>> You mean there's some limit that avoids the user to run additional
>> commands for partitioning more that one disk? If so, can you please
>> expand this info?
>
> Put another way, if you want to format more than one disk and aren't
> using mdraid or lvm, you have to do so with "d-i preseed/late_command
> string ..." (or post-install).

Ah, that's more in the line of what I've read ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

09-23-2012 01:27 AM

Preseed for Wheezy - Multi-disk Alternative

Camaleón,

I tried http://bit.ly/ORct20 but only got google search. I am very
interested in what you found.

ray

Camaleón 09-23-2012 02:41 PM

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 18:27:11 -0700, ray wrote:

> Camaleón,
>
> I tried http://bit.ly/ORct20 but only got google search.

Exactly.

> I am very interested in what you found.

The same as you... okay, okay, I'll do your homework ;-)

***
How can partman partition more than one disk in a Debian installer
preseed file?
http://superuser.com/questions/281518/how-can-partman-partition-more-than-one-disk-in-a-debian-installer-preseed-file
***

Greetings,