Old 04-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Alex Samad

Default JFS

Hi

I remember reading in the list that JFS was a dying FS, because IBM
wasn't maintaining it full time. And that it might disappear from the
kernel soon.

Any one still using it. I was actually thinking of using it for my /tmp
directory

Alex

--
"First of all, I'm not going to let Congress erode the power of the Executive Branch. I have a duty to protect the Executive Branch from legislative encroachment."

- George W. Bush
03/13/2002
Washington, DC
White House Press Conference

Old 04-16-2008, 01:39 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 07:26:15AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> I remember reading in the list that JFS was a dying FS, because IBM
> wasn't maintaining it full time. And that it might disappear from the
> kernel soon.
>
> Any one still using it. I was actually thinking of using it for my /tmp
> directory

It would be a waste on /tmp since /tmp is cleared on reboot you don't
need to waste time on a fsck. I just have extra swap and have tmp on a
tmpfs. /tmp doesn't usually get used much so it may as well reside in
memory. Combined with an encrypted swap it gives handy encrypted
filesystem for some scratch work.

Doug.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:05 AM
Alex Samad

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:39:05PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 07:26:15AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> > I remember reading in the list that JFS was a dying FS, because IBM
> > wasn't maintaining it full time. And that it might disappear from the
> > kernel soon.
> >
> > Any one still using it. I was actually thinking of using it for my /tmp
> > directory
>
> It would be a waste on /tmp since /tmp is cleared on reboot you don't
> need to waste time on a fsck. I just have extra swap and have tmp on a
> tmpfs. /tmp doesn't usually get used much so it may as well reside in
> memory. Combined with an encrypted swap it gives handy encrypted
> filesystem for some scratch work.
I usually fill up tmp with crap.

but i did follwo up some more on jfs , seems like there is no full time
maintenance on it so, and i had thought I had read that it was meant to
be fast for lots of small files, but I must have miss read that.

I am going to still to ext3, wait till ext4 comes ready and keep using
xfs for my large (video) partitions

> Doug.

"I understand that the unrest in the Middle East creates unrest throughout the region."

- George W. Bush
03/13/2002
Washington, DC

Old 04-16-2008, 04:39 AM