Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 AM
Gary Roach

Default workforce 645 printer can't find other network assets (SOLVED SORT OF)

On 09/13/2012 08:58 AM, Camaleón wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:14:09 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:

OK. Lets start over.

Configuration:
1. Epson Workforce 645 All in one
2. Network mix of hardwired Win2K and linux computers and an XP
wireless. All with fixed IP addresses.
3. 645 now hardwired to router. Fixed IP address set in router and 645.
4. Router - Actiontec M1424-WR plus Cisco extention switch (Lan to Lan
connection). I have locked in most of the IP addresses for my usual
hardware but still have the capability to use DHCP for new stuff.

Perfect.

Software
1. XP loaded with Epson drivers and Epson Event Manager from CD supplied
with 645.
2. Linux machines:
2.1 A mix of Debian Squeeze and Wheezy systems.
2.2 Samba and Cups installed (and configured?).
2.3 iscan_2.29.1-5-usb0.1.ltd1.7_i386.deb and iscan-
dat_1.17.0-2_all.deb installed with dpkg.
2.4 Xsane, sane and gimp installed

According to the Epson FAQ, you have now the right packages installed:

http://download.ebz.epson.net/faq/linux/faq_ls_00002.html

(note that you may also want to install the network and image processing
plugins)

Performance:
All computers with the exception of the Win2k print to the printer. All
of the print functions seem to work. The exception being the ink
level indicators that don't show on the Linux machines. Remote
FAX not checked. I don't care. The copier works fine. The scan control
from the XP works fine.

Okay, so printing form Debian works, you only miss the information to get
the ink levels, right?

Epson provides a manual for the printer and a list of Linux FAQS, maybe
you can find something of interest there:

http://download.ebz.epson.net/man/linux/escp.html
http://download.ebz.epson.net/faq/linux/

Sadly, Epson explicitely says that they do not support the linux software
(sigh).

Problems:
1.1. When attempting to scan a document from Linux, Xsane produces the
error: "Failed to start scanner: Error during device I/O". At this
point, the document is run through the scanner but no scan is produced.

Does your Xsane version support this device?

In addition, if Epson has a dedicated tool for this, e.g., "iscan" to
obtain the images from the scanner, try with it.

1.2. When Xsane is purged from the system and sane's scanadf or
scanimage is used, I get the error: "Could not send command to scanner.
Check the scanners's status". This same error occurs if iscan is run
through gimp. The scanners control panel reads: "Communication Error.
Check the printer connection and try again".

Run "iscan" from command line and as root user to discard a problem with
the permissions. Also, as you have connected the AIO using an ethernet
cable, the corresponding network plugin package may be needed so the
device can be properly detected by your system.

2.1 The 645 still can't see any of the Linux systems on the consoles
readout when the "Scan to PC" mode is chosen. I can probably live with
this but an office of any size would be seriously inconvenienced. I
think this problem may be caused by Epson's Event Manager software. I
found at least one instance on the net where someone was complaining
about the quirky nature of this piece on drech.

This can be the same problem that you experience when you try to
communicate with the AIO scanner from Debian and get a "communication
error". Installing the network plugin could also help with this :-?

Editorial: The Event Manager seems to be designed to freeze Linux/Unix
out of the market and to rid the user base of older Microsoft products.
If I were a real suspicious person I would see Microsofts hand in this.
Of course if that's true then Epson's management is a bunch of idiots.
Microsofts own management says that they loose about 20% of sales to
piracy, 10% to Linux and about 5% to Apple. That means that Epson is
throwing away about 10% of their business in this Workforce line by poor
support. Stupid.

Next time, instead giving your money to Epson that shows no interest in
Linux, consider twice another alternatives (HP has a nice job here ;-) )

Greetings,

I gave up. I took the Epson back an traded it in for an HP Office Jet
Pro 8600. I've had minimal trouble installing the thing on both Linux
and XP systems. Everything works. I still can't get the Win2K system to
work. Does anyone know where you can get print drivers for this. I have
the HP 8600 and my XP laptop connected wireless to the router. All
other systems are etherneted. The Win2K system can't seem to find the
printer.

Thank you all for your support.

Gary R.

Archive: 5052BE9E.3080605@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/5052BE9E.3080605@verizon.net

Old 09-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Bonno Bloksma

Hi Gary,

Not really Debian related anymore but here is a quick answer.

> I gave up. I took the Epson back an traded it in for an HP Office Jet Pro 8600.
> I've had minimal trouble installing the thing on both Linux and XP systems. Everything works.
> I still can't get the Win2K system to work. Does anyone know where you can get print drivers for this.
> I have the HP 8600 and my XP laptop connected wireless to the router.
> All other systems are etherneted. The Win2K system can't seem to find the printer.

Find the ip-number for the printer, add a LOCAL printer manually in Win2k and create a new port, a standard tcp/ip-port. Enter the ip-number.

Now the fun part starts, finding a printer driver as the Win2k driver model is different from WinXP. WinXP could still use older Win2k driver but that is no help to you now.
Look for a black and white printer using just PCL and print a test page. Try that first and if it works go for a color printer using PCL.
According to the HP site you printer speaks HP PCL 3 GUI and HP PCL 3 Enhanced

Bonno Bloksma

Old 09-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 22:20:30 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:

> On 09/13/2012 08:58 AM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Next time, instead giving your money to Epson that shows no interest in
>> Linux, consider twice another alternatives (HP has a nice job here ;-)
>> )
>>

> I gave up. I took the Epson back an traded it in for an HP Office Jet
> Pro 8600.

Ouch... I didn't want to sound that contundent O:-)

But you know what? Well done. That's the only way Epson (or any other
manufacturer that claims "not supporting Linux") will learn the lesson.

> I've had minimal trouble installing the thing on both Linux and XP
> systems. Everything works. I still can't get the Win2K system to work.
> Does anyone know where you can get print drivers for this. I have the
> HP 8600 and my XP laptop connected wireless to the router. All other
> systems are etherneted. The Win2K system can't seem to find the printer.

Gary... Windows 2000 is now unsupported by Microsoft and hardware
manufacturers do not usually provide drivers for Windows versions that
have reached their Live Cycle.

But (as always :-P) Google provides a hint you can try:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/i-need-an-hp-officejet-pro-8600-printer-driver-for-win2000/td-p/1836087

> Thank you all for your support.

You're welcome.

Greteings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-16-2012, 04:36 AM
Gary Roach

[...]

Actually, I found a driver for the Win2K system on the HP web site. It
works for printing which is all I really want for that machine.

But (as always :-P) Google provides a hint you can try:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/i-need-an-hp-officejet-pro-8600-printer-driver-for-win2000/td-p/1836087

Thank you all for your support.

You're welcome.

Greteings,

The last post for this subject. Be advised that the Officejet Pro 8600
works great and was easy to set up on all of my systems. I had to
download a linux driver from HP's web site but it was easy to find and
easy to install. Two glitches. The paper feed won't work with Staples
Photo paper. It works with Epson and HP paper fine. Doing the droop test
over the edge of a table showed that the Saples paper is about twice as
stiff as the others. There is a spring loaded deflector in the paper
path that is supposed to deflect the paper upward as it comes out of the
tray. The stiffer paper won't make the bend. The other problem has to do
with network recognition and is probably a Samba problem. I'm starting a
new thread for that one.

See you all and thanks.

Gary R.