Old 04-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Ron Johnson

Default migrating to 64 bit...

Old 04-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 03:44:27PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/15/08 12:32, Sam Leon wrote:
> > Could one easily upgrade to an amd64 system just by formating /,
> > reinstalling with the proper arch, and then reinstalling all the apps
> > that were installed and hopefully all the conf files in /home/user will
> > be compatible with the arch change of kde and other apps? (of course I
> > am only talking about if you have /home and a separate partition)
>
> That's what I'd do... I'd also cherry pick certain important files
> and directories from /etc, such as those that configure the MTA,
> plus a few from /var/games that keep high scores, nethack bones
> files, etc.

I second that.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:37 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:32:26PM -0500, Sam Leon wrote:
> Could one easily upgrade to an amd64 system just by formating /,
> reinstalling with the proper arch, and then reinstalling all the apps
> that were installed and hopefully all the conf files in /home/user will
> be compatible with the arch change of kde and other apps? (of course I
> am only talking about if you have /home and a separate partition)

Only formatting / will only work if you don't have a separte /usr or
/var...

I run amd64 Etch and have an i386 chroot for iceweasel with flash.
Prior to that I had i386 Sarge on a different box. The configs in /home
worked just fine. I always migrate /etc by hand when I do a new
install.

Doug.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:55 AM
michael

Could one easily upgrade to an amd64 system just by formating /,
reinstalling with the proper arch, and then reinstalling all the apps
that were installed and hopefully all the conf files in /home/user
will
be compatible with the arch change of kde and other apps? (of
course I

am only talking about if you have /home and a separate partition)

Only formatting / will only work if you don't have a separte /usr or
/var...

I run amd64 Etch and have an i386 chroot for iceweasel with flash.
Prior to that I had i386 Sarge on a different box. The configs in /
home

worked just fine. I always migrate /etc by hand when I do a new
install.

I presume you have iceweasel in an i386 chroot since there's no
working flash for the 64 bit? This is something I am thinking of
doing. I am starting from amd64 Etch (no other Debian on the system).
Do I really need to install a full i386 Etch as implied by the Debian
manual

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-chroot
or is there a quicker/shorter way (that wastes less disk space)?

Thanks, Michael

Doug.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:55:57AM +0100, michael wrote:

> On 16 Apr 2008, at 02:37, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:32:26PM -0500, Sam Leon wrote:
>>> Could one easily upgrade to an amd64 system just by formating /,
>>> reinstalling with the proper arch, and then reinstalling all the apps
>>> that were installed and hopefully all the conf files in /home/user
>>> will
>>> be compatible with the arch change of kde and other apps? (of course
>>> am only talking about if you have /home and a separate partition)
>>
>> Only formatting / will only work if you don't have a separte /usr or
>> /var...
>>
>> I run amd64 Etch and have an i386 chroot for iceweasel with flash.
>> Prior to that I had i386 Sarge on a different box. The configs in /
>> home
>> worked just fine. I always migrate /etc by hand when I do a new
>> install.
>>

> I presume you have iceweasel in an i386 chroot since there's no working
> flash for the 64 bit? This is something I am thinking of doing. I am
> starting from amd64 Etch (no other Debian on the system). Do I really
> need to install a full i386 Etch as implied by the Debian manual
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-chroot
> or is there a quicker/shorter way (that wastes less disk space)?

when I migrated to amd64, I did nothing special for flash, and it
seems to just work... (Now I'm thinking I need to go check). In
theory, in sid, you use nsplugin-wrapper to allow 32bit flash to run
on 64bit systems.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:58 AM
Rich Healey

Old 04-17-2008, 11:00 AM
michael

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 08:12 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:55:57AM +0100, michael wrote:

> >> Only formatting / will only work if you don't have a separte /usr or
> >> /var...
> >>
> >> I run amd64 Etch and have an i386 chroot for iceweasel with flash.
> >> Prior to that I had i386 Sarge on a different box. The configs in /
> >> home
> >> worked just fine. I always migrate /etc by hand when I do a new
> >> install.
> >>

> > I presume you have iceweasel in an i386 chroot since there's no working
> > flash for the 64 bit? This is something I am thinking of doing. I am
> > starting from amd64 Etch (no other Debian on the system). Do I really
> > need to install a full i386 Etch as implied by the Debian manual
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-chroot
> > or is there a quicker/shorter way (that wastes less disk space)?
>
> when I migrated to amd64, I did nothing special for flash, and it
> seems to just work... (Now I'm thinking I need to go check). In
> theory, in sid, you use nsplugin-wrapper to allow 32bit flash to run
> on 64bit systems.

what about running Java apps? I thought nsplugin-wrapper didn't support
that?

but generally, I'm eager to learn how to do a small chroot for iceweasel

Old 04-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Jochen Schulz

michael:
> On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 08:12 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>>
>> when I migrated to amd64, I did nothing special for flash, and it
>> seems to just work... (Now I'm thinking I need to go check). In
>> theory, in sid, you use nsplugin-wrapper to allow 32bit flash to run
>> on 64bit systems.
>
> what about running Java apps? I thought nsplugin-wrapper didn't support
> that?

Java *applications* do work, only the browser plugin doesn't. But hey,
recently I read that Sun might release a 64Bit plugin in 2009.

J.
--
I enjoy shopping, eating, sex and doing jigsaw puzzles of idealised
landscapes.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:55 PM
michael

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 14:28 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> michael:
> > On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 08:12 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >>
> >> when I migrated to amd64, I did nothing special for flash, and it
> >> seems to just work... (Now I'm thinking I need to go check). In
> >> theory, in sid, you use nsplugin-wrapper to allow 32bit flash to run
> >> on 64bit systems.
> >
> > what about running Java apps? I thought nsplugin-wrapper didn't support
> > that?
>
> Java *applications* do work, only the browser plugin doesn't. But hey,
> recently I read that Sun might release a 64Bit plugin in 2009.

Thanks for the clarification... but it confirms that, for now, I should
perhaps try a chroot for just 32 bit iceweasel, so my Q remains -

Old 04-19-2008, 01:54 PM
michael

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 14:28 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> michael:
> > On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 08:12 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >>
> >> when I migrated to amd64, I did nothing special for flash, and it
> >> seems to just work... (Now I'm thinking I need to go check). In
> >> theory, in sid, you use nsplugin-wrapper to allow 32bit flash to run
> >> on 64bit systems.
> >
> > what about running Java apps? I thought nsplugin-wrapper didn't support
> > that?
>
> Java *applications* do work, only the browser plugin doesn't. But hey,
> recently I read that Sun might release a 64Bit plugin in 2009.

I've probably got something wrong, but for my AMD64 machine, I installed
nspluginwrapper (sic) from etch-backports and restarted iceweasel but it
still appears not to run flash despite their being several flash-related
entries in 'aboutlugins'

mkb@amd64:~$ dpkg -l|grep -i flash
ii kwordquiz 3.5.5-1
flashcard and vocabulary learning program fo
ii libflash-mozplugin 0.4.13-8
GPL Flash (SWF) Library - Mozilla-compatible
ii libflash0c2 0.4.13-8
GPL Flash (SWF) Library - shared library
ii libswfdec0.3 0.3.6-2.2
SWF (Macromedia Flash) decoder library

... any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong or the steps to debug this?

thanks, Michael