-   -   exim, mailname and aliases (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/703501-exim-mailname-aliases.html)

Frank Van Damme 09-13-2012 02:02 PM

exim, mailname and aliases

Hello list,

I'm into a slight struggle with my mail servers. They are satellite
systems (no local mail, everything goes to a smarthost). I figured out
that by changing the mailname to generaldomain.com instead of
themachineshostname.generaldomain.com, all users' mail get delivered
to user@generaldomain.com (I create users with usernames that exist as
a mail alias/address in that domain).
BUT
this breaks the aliases file. "special" or system users, like root,
are not rewritten to me@generaldomain.com, they are smarthosted with
their original user id --> root@generaldomain.com ...

Probably there is a better and cleaner way to reroute local users (not
individually, please) than to forge /etc/mailname?

--
Frank Van Damme
No part of this copyright message may be reproduced, read or seen,

Camaleón 09-13-2012 02:42 PM

exim, mailname and aliases

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 16:02:22 +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> I'm into a slight struggle with my mail servers. They are satellite
> systems (no local mail, everything goes to a smarthost). I figured out
> that by changing the mailname to generaldomain.com instead of
> themachineshostname.generaldomain.com, all users' mail get delivered to
> user@generaldomain.com (I create users with usernames that exist as a
> mail alias/address in that domain). BUT
> this breaks the aliases file. "special" or system users, like root, are
> not rewritten to me@generaldomain.com, they are smarthosted with their
> original user id --> root@generaldomain.com ...
>
> Probably there is a better and cleaner way to reroute local users (not
> individually, please) than to forge /etc/mailname?

If this was Postfix, I would suggest that you look at the address
rewriting rules for doing a selective routing of the outgoing messages
based on their location (local or remote users). For Exim, I'm not sure
how this is handled.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

lee 09-13-2012 08:12 PM

exim, mailname and aliases

Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm into a slight struggle with my mail servers. They are satellite
> systems (no local mail, everything goes to a smarthost). I figured out
> that by changing the mailname to generaldomain.com instead of
> themachineshostname.generaldomain.com, all users' mail get delivered
> to user@generaldomain.com (I create users with usernames that exist as
> a mail alias/address in that domain).

Hm, I don't understand what you are trying to achieve. Incoming mail is
delivered from where to where? On which host do you change the
mailname?

> BUT this breaks the aliases file. "special" or system users, like
> root, are not rewritten to me@generaldomain.com, they are smarthosted
> with their original user id --> root@generaldomain.com ...

What is in your aliases files? In which way are they broken? Are you
referring to recipient or to sender addresses?

> Probably there is a better and cleaner way to reroute local users (not
> individually, please) than to forge /etc/mailname?

What do you mean by "re-route local users"?

--
Debian testing amd64