-   -   How to redirect input/output to another console? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/701729-how-redirect-input-output-another-console.html)

Juan Sierra Pons 09-08-2012 02:41 PM

On Sep 8, 2012 4:25 PM, "Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,

> *

> I know, maybe this is not the right forum, as my question is not really debian based. But maybe you might want to help either.

> *

> I have a friend far away from me, which is using debian/testing same as me. As I am helping this woman sometimes, and she is willing to learn, I would give her an option, to see, what I am doing in the shell (input, output and error).

> *

> She is also capable working in the shell (but still not very experienced with it), and so I am looking for a way, that

> - either she can see, what I am doing in my shell

> - I can see her shell

> - or best, we can both work in ONE shell

> *

> IMO it is a good way for her, to learn, what is going on.

> *

> I know, that the first was possible in the past, but I cannot remember any more how I did it, it was something with redirecting, Of course I read the manuals, and searched the web, but I still did not find the best solution, yet.

> *

> Any hints are welcome.

> *

> Thanks for your help!

> *

> Best regards

> *

> Hans

Hi

You can get connected to the same console and interact at the same time using the byoubu package.

Hope it helps

Best regards

Lars Noodén 09-08-2012 03:03 PM

How to redirect input/output to another console?

On 9/8/12 4:58 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
[snip]
> ... and so I am looking for a way, that
> - either she can see, what I am doing in my shell
> - I can see her shell
> - or best, we can both work in ONE shell
[snip]

You should be able to share a shell using screen and maybe tmux.

A) It's very easy if you are both logged in as the same user. In one
terminal, where foobar is the name of your screen session:
screen -S foobar

In the other terminal, attach to that session:
screen -x foobar

B) If you are logged in as two different users, then you have to use
acls and screen must be set suid. I don't know about the safety of
that. In the first user's terminal, start screen as above, where foobar
is the name of the screen session and user2 is the second account to be
sharing the session:
screen -S foobar
^A:multiuser on
^A:acladd user2

Then in the other terminal, attach to the first user's session
screen -x user1/foobar

I think something similar should be possible with tmux, but I haven't tried.

Regards,
/Lars

Dom 09-08-2012 03:56 PM

[...]

I'd use screen. Get your friend to start a screen session with

screen -U -a -S myscreen

then log in to her machine and connect to the same session with

screen -U -a -x myscreen

for this.

The -U (use UTF-8) and -a (use full terminal capabilities) are optional.

It's low bandwidth and you'll be sharing the same shell session. Screen
also has the advantage that if you get disconnected, you can reconnect
to the same session again.

--
Dom

Archive: 504B6A9A.9010305@rpdom.net">http://lists.debian.org/504B6A9A.9010305@rpdom.net

Juan Sierra Pons 09-08-2012 06:10 PM

How to redirect input/output to another console?

Hi again,

With the byobu package you can do the same as stated by Lars or Dom as
it is based on GNU Screen

byobu - powerful, text based window manager and shell multiplexer

Another option you have for share read-only your session or kept logs
of your sessions is the script tool (from bsdutils package)

In your session (the one you want to share as read-only) type: script -f
This will save in the current path all you screen movement (your
commands and its results) in a file called typescript

In the other user session only is needed to tail -f typescript

This session will see all the changes in the original session in real
time. Like a text based VNC read-only session.

Best regards

Juan Sierra Pons juan@elsotanillo.net
Linux User Registered: #257202 http://www.elsotanillo.net
GPG key = 0xA110F4FE
Key Fingerprint = DF53 7415 0936 244E 9B00 6E66 E934 3406 A110 F4FE

Andrei POPESCU 09-09-2012 07:33 AM

On Sb, 08 sep 12, 20:10:26, Juan Sierra Pons wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> With the byobu package you can do the same as stated by Lars or Dom as
> it is based on GNU Screen
>
> byobu - powerful, text based window manager and shell multiplexer

Further from the description:

Byobu is Ubuntu's text-based window manager based on GNU Screen.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Lars Noodén 09-10-2012 08:43 AM

How to redirect input/output to another console?

On 9/8/12 4:58 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
[snip]
> She is also capable working in the shell (but still not very experienced with
> it), and so I am looking for a way, that
> - either she can see, what I am doing in my shell
> - I can see her shell
> - or best, we can both work in ONE shell
[snip]

How did it go for you?

As a follow-up, here are the ways to do it with tmux, since it does not
need SUID.

A) If the same account is going to be sharing the session, then it's
rather easy. In the first terminal, start tmux where 'shared' is the
session name:

tmux new-session -s shared

Then in the second terminal:

tmux attach-session -t shared

B) For different users, you have to set the permissions on the tmux
socket so that both users can read and write it.

In the first terminal, start tmux where 'shared' is the session name and
'shareds' is the name of the socket:

tmux -S /tmp/shareds new -s shared

Then chgrp the socket (/tmp/shareds) to a group that both users share in
common.

In the second terminal attach using that socket and session

tmux -S /tmp/shareds attach -t shared

Regards,
/Lars

Alex Robbins 09-11-2012 09:27 PM

How to redirect input/output to another console?