Old 09-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Andrei POPESCU

Default How to redirect input/output to another console?

On Mi, 12 sep 12, 19:20:20, Alex Robbins wrote:

> I think development has stopped -- upstream. Some people (presumably
> the Debian people) have been developing patches. I imagine that some of
> these patches are for security fixes; I know that some are added features.
> Either way, I think screen is still considered "deprecated" in favor
> of tmux.

By whom? References please

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Lars Noodén

On 9/13/12 10:38 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 12 sep 12, 19:20:20, Alex Robbins wrote:
>>>
>> I think development has stopped -- upstream. Some people
>> (presumably the Debian people) have been developing patches. I
>> imagine that some of these patches are for security fixes; I know
>> that some are added features. Either way, I think screen is still
>> considered "deprecated" in favor of tmux.
>
> By whom? References please
>
> Kind regards, Andrei

It does seem that people are still nibbling away at screen:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/screen.git

Regards
/Lars

Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 AM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Hello list,

thank you all guys and ladies for all the answers, I got.

Yes, it was screen, I was looking for. I used screen a long time ago, but
forgot about the correct syntax.

However, I did not know about tmux, this was new for me. I will test them both
as soon, she is back from holiday.

I also think, tmux or screen is very usefull for teaching purposes, so the
pupil can see, what the teacher is doing in console (unless he has a beamer
and showing his screen on the wall).

So thank you very much for all your help!

Best regards

Hans

Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 3:38 AM, Andrei POPESCU
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mi, 12 sep 12, 19:20:20, Alex Robbins wrote:
>>
>> I think development has stopped -- upstream. Some people (presumably
>> the Debian people) have been developing patches. I imagine that some of
>> these patches are for security fixes; I know that some are added features.
>> Either way, I think screen is still considered "deprecated" in favor
>> of tmux.
>
> By whom? References please

I don't know about "deprecated" but development seems to be stalled:

"screen-4.0.3.tar.gz 821 kB 8/7/08 12:00:00 AM" is the last release
hosted on ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/screen/.

From

http://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewjob.php?group_id=4235&job_id=512

you have:

Screen needs development help for GNU Screen

<snip>

Submitted By: micahcowan
Date: Fri 03 Oct 2008 05:19:48 PM UTC

<snip>

After a hiatus of a few years, GNU Screen is preparing to make a major
new release, with fun new features like vertical splits, and layout
save/restore.
There are just a handful of important bugs left to work out before
4.1.0 may be released, but we are extremely short on developers to get
the work done.

<snip>