Old 09-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Mauro

Default ntpd crashes.

On 11 September 2012 16:48, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 12:54:59 +0200, Mauro wrote:
>
>> On 11 September 2012 10:58, Chris Davies <chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Not a particularly good solution for a number of reasons. Mainly,
>>> though, you need to be aware that ntpdate is quite likely to jump the
>>> clock.
>>
>> If ntp stops running with apparently no reasons I don't know what else I
>> can do. I need to have time synchronized between my servers.
>
> You can try a different approach: do not run ntpd as daemon but using
> cron and see how it goes :-?

What's the difference of running ntpdate instead ntp with cron?

Old 09-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Mauro

On 11 September 2012 13:03, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 12:54 +0200, Mauro wrote:
>> >
>> > Not a particularly good solution for a number of reasons. Mainly, though,
>> > you need to be aware that ntpdate is quite likely to jump the clock.
>>
>> If ntp stops running with apparently no reasons I don't know what else I can do.
>> I need to have time synchronized between my servers.
>
> I'm a ntpdate and sntp user. I never had issues using ntpdate and sntp
> manually.

sntp is in debian packages?

Old 09-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 16:53:43 +0200, Mauro wrote:

> On 11 September 2012 16:48, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 12:54:59 +0200, Mauro wrote:

>>> If ntp stops running with apparently no reasons I don't know what else
>>> I can do. I need to have time synchronized between my servers.
>>
>> You can try a different approach: do not run ntpd as daemon but using
>> cron and see how it goes :-?
>
> What's the difference of running ntpdate instead ntp with cron?

Well, AFAIK they're different packages for different purposes, other than
that, I can't tell. But if you search for a full replacement of "ntp"
functionalities (client/server) you can look at "openntpd" and "chrony".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Chris Davies

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can try a different approach: do not run ntpd as daemon but using
> cron and see how it goes :-?

Huh?

Chris

Old 09-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Chris Davies

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Does "jump the clock" mean that the time is synced hard, ignoring
> timestamps?

Yes.

Ntpdate is as likely to set the clock back as it is to put it
forward. Your applications might be able to cope with a second being
only 800ms long, but databases and the like get very upset if they "know"
the time's 18:01:56 and suddenly it's now only 18:01:55 (for example).

Chris

Old 09-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Mauro

On 11 September 2012 17:32, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 16:53:43 +0200, Mauro wrote:

>>> You can try a different approach: do not run ntpd as daemon but using
>>> cron and see how it goes :-?
>>
>> What's the difference of running ntpdate instead ntp with cron?
>
> Well, AFAIK they're different packages for different purposes, other than
> that, I can't tell. But if you search for a full replacement of "ntp"
> functionalities (client/server) you can look at "openntpd" and "chrony".

openntpd is not in debian squeeze, I'm thinking to replace ntpd with chrony.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:16:05 +0100, Chris Davies wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You can try a different approach: do not run ntpd as daemon but using
>> cron and see how it goes :-?
>
> Huh?

Yes, for testing purposes.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 22:54:50 +0200, Mauro wrote:

> On 11 September 2012 17:32, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>>> What's the difference of running ntpdate instead ntp with cron?
>>
>> Well, AFAIK they're different packages for different purposes, other
>> than that, I can't tell. But if you search for a full replacement of
>> "ntp" functionalities (client/server) you can look at "openntpd" and
>> "chrony".
>
> openntpd is not in debian squeeze, I'm thinking to replace ntpd with
> chrony.

I have no special preference over the two packages but "openntpd" is
available from squeeze-backports.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Bob Proulx

Mauro wrote:
> What's the difference of running ntpdate instead ntp with cron?

'ntpdate' jumps the clock. It was intended for use at system boot
time when that is okay to do. 'ntpd' is a daemon that runs and makes
small clock adjustments as needed to keep time without "jumping" it.

The 'ntpdate' command is now deprecated. It's functionality has been
written into the ntp daemon code. The ntpd daemon now has ntpdate
functionality with:

$ man ntpd

-g Normally, ntpd exits with a message to the system log if the offset
exceeds the panic threshold, which is 1000 s by default. This
option allows the time to be set to any value without restriction;
however, this can happen only once. If the threshold is exceeded
after that, ntpd will exit with a message to the system log. This
option can be used with the -q and -x options.

-q Exit the ntpd just after the first time the clock is set. This
behavior mimics that of the ntpdate program, which is to be
retired. The -g and -x options can be used with this option.
Note: The kernel time discipline is disabled with this option.

Running ntpd to adjust the clock continuously is much better than
jumping the clock with ntpdate.

Bob

Old 09-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Mauro

I think ntpd crashes are because my server lost time.
I have ntpd in two server, now I've seen that in one of these ntp
crashes and the time of the server is 1 hour forward.
That's why ntp crashes: server time goes 1 hour forward and ntp can't
resynchronize so it crashes.
Now I don't know why my server time goes 1 hour forward.
Hwclock --debug says that the time is correct, it is set on UTC, so
why sometimes it goes forward?
Perhaps a problem in the cmos battery?