Old 09-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Camaleón

Default Looking for an emacs replacement

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 15:11:04 -0500, hvw59601 wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> And you want to drop it just because of a problem with your settings
>> not being honored? Have you report it?

>>> Funny thing, that does not have my favorite editor: mc.
>>
>> +1 for mcedit but I guess is far away from being a proper emacs
>> replacement O:-)
>>

> But ought it not be part of a comparison of text editors?

Well, Tong was looking for an emacs replacement and emacs can do more
than the job of a text editor.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 20:25:53 +0000, T o n g wrote:

>> And you want to drop it just because of a problem with your settings
>> not being honored? Have you report it?
>
> Does it matter?

If I liked an application and has been serving me well over the years,
yes, I do matter.

> -- I started to use Emacs almost 15 years ago. By then, there is only
> one looks and feel, the Unix one. Over the years, emacs is moving
> towards Windows, I lost its xterm-like scroll bar years ago, now the
> whole Unix-like look and feel is gone. It's OK to woo the windows
> users, but to completely ignore the Unix users, that's very sad. I don't
> want to spend a minute more on learning to configure its bizarred GTK
> interface any more.

I really doubt there's no way to configure the look and feel of emacs, so
if that's only your main dissapointment about the program, I would look
more deep on how to solve it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Bob Proulx

Vincent Chen wrote:
> Since you've been using Emacs for the past 15 years, I hope you do
> realize you can disable all the GUI clutter by setting:
>
> (menu-bar-mode -1)
> (tool-bar-mode -1)
> (scroll-bar-mode -1)
>
> in your ~/.emacs (though I do keep the scroll bar around, easier to
> read than the percentage in the mode line).

I have a lot of that in my .emacs file. Here is a small listing of
these types of fixes that I use. And yes I know that every one of
these features that I am turning off were highly desired by someone
else who wanted them enough to code them in as the new default.

Bob

(if (>= emacs-major-version 20)
(menu-bar-mode -1))

(if (>= emacs-major-version 21)
(if window-system
(tool-bar-mode -1)))

(if (>= emacs-major-version 22)
(progn
;; Have *Buffer List* use old-style header without white on green highlight.
(setq Buffer-menu-use-header-line nil)
;; Disable dark blue on dark background in minibuffer.
(set-face-foreground 'minibuffer-prompt nil)))

(if (>= emacs-major-version 23)
(progn
(setq transient-mark-mode nil)
(setq line-move-visual nil)
(setq search-whitespace-regexp nil)
(setq split-width-threshold nil)))

;; Disable nasty white on green highlighting in electric-buffer-mode.
;; We use eval-after-load to monkey patch after ebuf-menu is loaded
;; as that's where the "bad" definition of electric-buffer-mode is located.
(eval-after-load "ebuff-menu" '(defun electric-buffer-update-highlight ()))

;; Stop the annoying question about exiting with shell processes still running.
(eval-after-load 'shell
'(add-hook 'comint-exec-hook
'(lambda ()
(set-process-query-on-exit-flag (get-process "shell") nil))))

Old 09-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Stefan Monnier

> (if (>= emacs-major-version 20)
> (menu-bar-mode -1))

I recommend testing (fboundp 'menu-bar-mode) instead.

> (if (>= emacs-major-version 21)
> (if window-system
> (tool-bar-mode -1)))

And here I recommend testing (fboundp 'tool-bar-mode) and calling the
function regardless of window-system.

> (if (>= emacs-major-version 22)
> (progn
> ;; Have *Buffer List* use old-style header without white on green highlight.
> (setq Buffer-menu-use-header-line nil)

You can `setq' this regardless of emacs-major-version (older versions
will simply ignore it).

> ;; Disable dark blue on dark background in minibuffer.
> (set-face-foreground 'minibuffer-prompt nil)))

The better fix is to explain to Emacs that your tty background is dark
by setting `frame-background-mode' (either via Customize or if you want
to use plain Lisp, you'll have to not only `setq' the var but also call
(frame-set-background-mode (selected-frame)) afterwards).

> (if (>= emacs-major-version 23)
> (progn
> (setq transient-mark-mode nil)
> (setq line-move-visual nil)
> (setq search-whitespace-regexp nil)
> (setq split-width-threshold nil)))

Same as Buffer-menu-use-header-line: no need to test emacs-major-version.

> ;; Disable nasty white on green highlighting in electric-buffer-mode.

I suspect that after setting frame-background-mode some of those faces
will be less nasty. Of course, you may still dislike them.

> ;; Stop the annoying question about exiting with shell processes still running.
> (eval-after-load 'shell
> '(add-hook 'comint-exec-hook
> '(lambda ()
> (set-process-query-on-exit-flag (get-process "shell") nil))))

I recommend you don't quote your lambda expressions.

Stefan

Old 09-22-2012, 03:06 PM
"Dan B."

lee wrote:

... You can still run emacs fine on the
console or in a terminal as you could 15--20 years ago, and you can use
the GUI frames if you like, even all at the same time --- or compile a
version that doesn't have X-support at all.

FYI: There's an "emacs23-nox" (no X11 dependency) package.

Daniel