Old 04-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

Default Question about how "aptitude search" is used

Daniel Burrows wrote:
<snip>

So, I'd really like to just change the default behavior of "search"
when it's given a bare string. If I were designing the program up-front
this is what I'd do, and I think it's the best end-point.

# Question #

How many readers of this list are using "aptitude search" as a
subcommand in a script? Will you be impacted by this change? Will
anyone else be adversely impacted despite not using it in a script?

I'm using aptitude mainly from the command line and sometimes its GUI but
so far not in any script. I like aptitude very much and prefer it over apt-get
or synaptic. Thank you very much, Daniel, for this very nice work.
I would appreciate another way to search for a package or tool
for a certain task. And for me its no annoyance to type an additional '~n'
to search for package names only. Normally I use constructions like

aptitude -F "%M %p %25v %25V" search ~U
aptitude purge ~c
aptitude search ~o
aptitude search '~i~D<pattern>'

etc.
The only other packaging tool I use from time to time is dpkg to
- list files in an installed package
- search the package, a certain file belongs to
- unpack a .deb-file

Jörg-Volker.