Old 04-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Default Debian glibc package

hce wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using linux-2.6-glibc23-i686 in FC6 box to compile audio and
> video application, what is the equivelant glibc I can use in Debian?
>
> I searched following result, could not find similar glibc23 package.
>
> $ apt-cache search glibc

Try something like
$apt-cache search --names-only glibc
glibc-doc - GNU C Library: Documentation
libc6-pic - GNU C Library: PIC archive library
libg++2.8.1.3-glibc2.2 - The GNU C++ extension library - runtime version
libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 - The GNU stdc++ library
glibc-doc-reference - GNU C Library: Documentation
libc6 - GNU C Library: Shared libraries

Basically, you are looking for libc6.

glibc = "GNU C Library". glibc 2.x in Linux uses the soname libc.so.6. The
soname is often abbreviated as libc6.

> How can I install the source code to a local rather than to /usr
> directory?

apt-get source package_name

The above command does not need any special permissions. You can unpack the
source code in any directory you wish.

You might also need another command such as
apt-get build-dep package_name

this will automatically install all the dependencies necessary for compiling
the package_name.

hth
raju
--