Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Anyone using icewm on Sid? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/701-anyone-using-icewm-sid.html)

Anthony Campbell 11-19-2007 05:20 PM

Anyone using icewm on Sid?
 
Following today's upgrade on Sid I've started getting complete lockups
in X. I thought at first it was a bug in xserver-xorg and submitted a
bug report but now I think it's to do with icewm.

In icewm you can bring up a menu with Ctrl-Esc. This is what causes the
lockup. If I bring the menu up with the mouse, but clicking on Start at
the bottom of the screen, everything works. However, as I have the habit
of bring up the menu via the keys I'm going to get a lot of lockups
unless I change window manager.

Anyone else seeing this?

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian
http://www.acampbell.org.uk (blog, book reviews,
on-line books and sceptical articles)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Andrei Popescu 11-19-2007 06:20 PM

Anyone using icewm on Sid?
 
On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 06:20:03PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> Following today's upgrade on Sid I've started getting complete lockups
> in X. I thought at first it was a bug in xserver-xorg and submitted a
> bug report but now I think it's to do with icewm.
>
> In icewm you can bring up a menu with Ctrl-Esc. This is what causes the
> lockup. If I bring the menu up with the mouse, but clicking on Start at
> the bottom of the screen, everything works. However, as I have the habit
> of bring up the menu via the keys I'm going to get a lot of lockups
> unless I change window manager.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?

Yep, happens to me too, with icewm-session and -experimental. Something
is definitely wrong as the graphics in the toolbar are all messed up.
According to the aptitude log, icewm wasn't updated (on my machine)
since September. It is probably related to the latest xorg update.

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein)

Florian Kulzer 11-19-2007 06:46 PM

Anyone using icewm on Sid?
 
On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 21:20:52 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 06:20:03PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > Following today's upgrade on Sid I've started getting complete lockups
> > in X. I thought at first it was a bug in xserver-xorg and submitted a
> > bug report but now I think it's to do with icewm.
> >
> > In icewm you can bring up a menu with Ctrl-Esc. This is what causes the
> > lockup. If I bring the menu up with the mouse, but clicking on Start at
> > the bottom of the screen, everything works. However, as I have the habit
> > of bring up the menu via the keys I'm going to get a lot of lockups
> > unless I change window manager.
> >
> > Anyone else seeing this?
>
> Yep, happens to me too, with icewm-session and -experimental. Something
> is definitely wrong as the graphics in the toolbar are all messed up.
> According to the aptitude log, icewm wasn't updated (on my machine)
> since September. It is probably related to the latest xorg update.

Which graphics hardware are you guys using? I noticed regressions with
both my intel-based systems (desktop: 82Q963/Q965, laptop: 855GM). It
seems that the video-intel driver now uses EXA by default; switching
back to XAA made all my problems disappear. If you use other cards it
might be worthwhile to check the relevant manpage for changes in default
settings or "suspicious" new options. (At least, that helped me to
figure out what was going on.)

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Jochen Schulz 11-19-2007 07:08 PM

Anyone using icewm on Sid?
 
Anthony Campbell:
>
> Following today's upgrade on Sid I've started getting complete lockups
> in X. I thought at first it was a bug in xserver-xorg and submitted a
> bug report but now I think it's to do with icewm.

Same here with current IceWM and X.org from unstable. The machine wasn't
completely dead, though. I could still shut it down cleanly by pressing
the poweroff button.

J.
--
People talking a foreign language are romantic and mysterious.
[Agree] [Disagree]
<http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>

Andrei Popescu 11-19-2007 08:28 PM

Anyone using icewm on Sid?
 
On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 08:46:23PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> > Yep, happens to me too, with icewm-session and -experimental. Something
> > is definitely wrong as the graphics in the toolbar are all messed up.
> > According to the aptitude log, icewm wasn't updated (on my machine)
> > since September. It is probably related to the latest xorg update.
>
> Which graphics hardware are you guys using? I noticed regressions with
> both my intel-based systems (desktop: 82Q963/Q965, laptop: 855GM). It
> seems that the video-intel driver now uses EXA by default; switching
> back to XAA made all my problems disappear. If you use other cards it
> might be worthwhile to check the relevant manpage for changes in default
> settings or "suspicious" new options. (At least, that helped me to
> figure out what was going on.)

lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

I'm too lazy to test your suggestion (I switched to XFCE4 just a while
ago).

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein)

Jochen Schulz 11-19-2007 08:49 PM

Anyone using icewm on Sid?
 
Andrei Popescu:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 08:46:23PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
>>> Yep, happens to me too, with icewm-session and -experimental. Something
>>> is definitely wrong as the graphics in the toolbar are all messed up.
>>> According to the aptitude log, icewm wasn't updated (on my machine)
>>> since September. It is probably related to the latest xorg update.
>>
>> Which graphics hardware are you guys using? [...]
>
> lspci | grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

Same here. Setting

Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"

in the device section of my xorg.conf (and subsequently restarting X)
didn't help, though. This would have surprised me anyway since the
lockup only occurs when opening the menu with Ctrl-Esc, not when using
the mouse or when pressing the left windows key.

J.
--
I wish I was gay.
[Agree] [Disagree]
<http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>

Frank McCormick 11-19-2007 11:50 PM

Anyone using icewm on Sid?
 
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:49:56 +0100
Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

> Andrei Popescu:
> > On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 08:46:23PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >
> >>> Yep, happens to me too, with icewm-session and -experimental.
> >>> Something is definitely wrong as the graphics in the toolbar are
> >>> all messed up. According to the aptitude log, icewm wasn't
> >>> updated (on my machine) since September. It is probably related
> >>> to the latest xorg update.
> Same here. Setting
>
> Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
>
> in the device section of my xorg.conf (and subsequently restarting X)
> didn't help, though. This would have surprised me anyway since the
> lockup only occurs when opening the menu with Ctrl-Esc, not when using
> the mouse or when pressing the left windows key.


My menu on IceWm pops up fine but I use the Windows key as well.
Definitely control-escape related.



--
Frank McCormick debian@videotron.ca


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Anthony Campbell 11-20-2007 08:18 AM

Anyone using icewm on Sid?
 
On 19 Nov 2007, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 08:46:23PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > > Yep, happens to me too, with icewm-session and -experimental. Something
> > > is definitely wrong as the graphics in the toolbar are all messed up.
> > > According to the aptitude log, icewm wasn't updated (on my machine)
> > > since September. It is probably related to the latest xorg update.
> >
> > Which graphics hardware are you guys using? I noticed regressions with
> > both my intel-based systems (desktop: 82Q963/Q965, laptop: 855GM). It
> > seems that the video-intel driver now uses EXA by default; switching
> > back to XAA made all my problems disappear. If you use other cards it
> > might be worthwhile to check the relevant manpage for changes in default
> > settings or "suspicious" new options. (At least, that helped me to
> > figure out what was going on.)
>
> lspci | grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
>
> I'm too lazy to test your suggestion (I switched to XFCE4 just a while
> ago).
>


I have a Matrox G550. As a workaround I've disabled the Ctrl-Esc
combination.

I got a reply from the maintainer of xserver-xorg and I've sent him more
information.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian
http://www.acampbell.org.uk (blog, book reviews,
on-line books and sceptical articles)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:14 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.