Old 09-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Darac Marjal

Default Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file:

On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 10:24:52PM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> unarchive 617940
> reopen 617940
> thanks
>
> This bug still exists.
>
> See message:
>
> and despite that it says there are no followups there are!, starting
> at:
>
> The reason(s) for this bug being reopened are all the associated messages.
> It appears this bug was closed in error.

This doesn't look like an error to me. You note that you are able to
play videos fine. Have you also raised bugs for mplayer's other
auto-detect messages? Such as:

[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
[VO_TDFXFB] This driver only supports the 3Dfx Banshee, Voodoo3 and
Voodoo 5.
[VO_3DFX] Unable to open /dev/3dfx.

As you can see, mplayer tries various drivers before it gets to yours.
You can either configure your mplayer correctly or put up with it
autodetecting.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Frank McCormick

and despite that it says there are no followups there are!, starting
at:

The reason(s) for this bug being reopened are all the associated messages.
It appears this bug was closed in error.

This doesn't look like an error to me. You note that you are able to
play videos fine. Have you also raised bugs for mplayer's other
auto-detect messages? Such as:

[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
[VO_TDFXFB] This driver only supports the 3Dfx Banshee, Voodoo3 and
Voodoo 5.
[VO_3DFX] Unable to open /dev/3dfx.

As you can see, mplayer tries various drivers before it gets to yours.
You can either configure your mplayer correctly or put up with it
autodetecting.

My Mplayer was configured correctly...but libvdpau1 (which mplayer
depends on) insisted on looking for an NVidia-related driver, as does
other software. The bug is in libvdpau1, not mplayer.

--
Cheers
Frank

Archive: 504766C1.7030004@videotron.ca">http://lists.debian.org/504766C1.7030004@videotron.ca

Old 09-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2012-09-05 16:50 +0200, Frank McCormick wrote:

> My Mplayer was configured correctly...but libvdpau1 (which mplayer
> depends on) insisted on looking for an NVidia-related driver, as does
> other software. The bug is in libvdpau1, not mplayer.

Libvdpau will use a dri2 driver instead of NVidia if one is registered,
which should be the case if you have a Radeon or NVidia card and a
recent radeon¹ or nouveau² X driver. Here is what I see when I run
mplayer:

,----
| Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nouveau.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
| [vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
`----

For the missing libvdpau_nouveau.so, see bug #656719.

However, the Intel driver does not register a dri2 driver since it does
not support vdpau.

Cheers,
Sven

¹ http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/commit/?id=f6f1b4f7789cfef763c063e671b76b60be8bdd8e