Old 09-04-2012, 09:21 AM
David Cho-Lerat

Default how to configure contrast buttons on Squeeze laptops ?

Hi list,

I've installed Squeeze on 3 different laptops recently :
a Dell, a Packard Bell and a Toshiba. On the Dell, the
contrast buttons work : I can press "Fn" + "Up"/"Down"
to set the screen contrast level.

On the others, though, they don't (in addition, on the
Toshiba the "mute" key doesn't work either).

Where should I look ? Is this related to Xorg ? the video
card driver ? something else ?

Thanks all !

Toshiba Satellite L775-18Z : nVidia GeForce 315M
Dell Studio 1735 : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
Packard Bell EasyNote LM : ATI Mobility Radeon ? (have to check..)

Archive: 5045C837.8080908@asterion.fr">http://lists.debian.org/5045C837.8080908@asterion.fr

Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 11:21 +0200, David Cho-Lerat wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've installed Squeeze on 3 different laptops recently :
> a Dell, a Packard Bell and a Toshiba. On the Dell, the
> contrast buttons work : I can press "Fn" + "Up"/"Down"
> to set the screen contrast level.
>
> On the others, though, they don't (in addition, on the
> Toshiba the "mute" key doesn't work either).
>
> Where should I look ? Is this related to Xorg ? the video
> card driver ? something else ?
>
> Thanks all !
>
> Toshiba Satellite L775-18Z : nVidia GeForce 315M
> Dell Studio 1735 : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
> Packard Bell EasyNote LM : ATI Mobility Radeon ? (have to check..)

I've read several times on mailing lists about this issue, but I didn't
follow the discussions. FWIW for my tower PC's monitor the buttons don't
work, when using the proprietary NVIDIA driver versions for some time
past. If I turn the monitor off and on again, the buttons work. Not a
solution for a laptop.
Did you test all available drivers?
nv (perhaps not available for stable), nouveau, nvidia (the
proprietary), vesa? Just to ensure that it's not caused by the driver.
What driver do you use?

Regards,
Ralf

Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 AM
David Cho-Lerat

[...]

on the Toshiba, I've installed a backported kernel so that the Wifi card
works, and I couldn't install the nVidia driver "the Debian way"
(http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Why_use_a_Debian-specific_method.3F)
with this kernel, so I've installed the proprietary nVidia driver.

Prior to installing the proprietary driver I tried the Debian "nvidia"
driver

and the contrast buttons didn't work either.

I haven't tried "nouveau" yet, though. Have to give it a go.

Regards,
Ralf

Thanks,
David.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Chris Bannister

On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 11:21:59AM +0200, David Cho-Lerat wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've installed Squeeze on 3 different laptops recently :
> a Dell, a Packard Bell and a Toshiba. On the Dell, the
> contrast buttons work : I can press "Fn" + "Up"/"Down"
> to set the screen contrast level.
>
> On the others, though, they don't (in addition, on the
> Toshiba the "mute" key doesn't work either).

Laptops can be problematic and each model may require specific
configuration changes.

The best place for laptop related discussion is
debian-laptop@lists.debian.org

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 09-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 11:21:59 +0200, David Cho-Lerat wrote:

> I've installed Squeeze on 3 different laptops recently : a Dell, a
> Packard Bell and a Toshiba. On the Dell, the contrast buttons work : I
> can press "Fn" + "Up"/"Down" to set the screen contrast level.
>
> On the others, though, they don't (in addition, on the Toshiba the
> "mute" key doesn't work either).
>
> Where should I look ? Is this related to Xorg ? the video card driver ?
> something else ?

(...)

This usually comes in form of a kernel module (for instance, I can locate
"toshiba_acpi.ko" and "toshiba.ko") which allows acpi events to be
triggered when hitting the corresponding function keys. As you can guess,
the kernel module names vary depending on the manufacturer (there are
modules for HP, Asus, Toshiba, Sony, Dell, etc... notebooks).

In brief, I would check if the kernel modules are loaded in the netbooks
where pressing the brightness key produces no result. Also, review the
dmesg log, maybe there's something hanging there (e.g., "dmesg | grep -i -
e acpi -e toshiba")

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 AM
David Cho-Lerat

I've installed Squeeze on 3 different laptops recently :
a Dell, a Packard Bell and a Toshiba. On the Dell, the
contrast buttons work : I can press "Fn" + "Up"/"Down"
to set the screen contrast level.

On the others, though, they don't (in addition, on the
Toshiba the "mute" key doesn't work either).

Laptops can be problematic and each model may require specific
configuration changes.

The best place for laptop related discussion is
debian-laptop@lists.debian.org

thanks, I'll submit it there once I've tried "nouveau" : on yet another
laptop the contrast settings work, and it's a Squeeze with the "nouveau"
driver.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:08 AM
David Cho-Lerat

[...]

great pointers, thanks. Will try as soon as I can and give the list some
feedback.