FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Rico Secada
 
Default sidux + a word on Debian

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:40:26 +0100
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <mmw@tiger-computing.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:25:20 +0200
> Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk> wrote:
>
> > How do you make something a bit more stable!?
>
> More testing?!! P

And this makes it more stable!?

Packages are maintained by their respective maintainers.. in order for
something to become more stable, you have to submit changes. Just by
testing something doesn't make it more stable. :-)

I think a lot of people actually doesn't really understand the
difference between the stable, testing and unstable branch. The words
are also confusing.

Debian stable is very good for a production server that doesn’t need to
upgrade anything but security, but if the production requires newly
added features of third party applications Debian testing is the way to
go. Just because it is called testing doesn’t mean that it isn’t stable.

Packages from the testing release sometimes are more "stable" in the
sense of words than packages from the stable release.

Debian is much a source distribution: each packages is compiled
automatically 10 times on 10 different platforms before entering
testing so this is a very well tested process.

The unstable isn't really unstable per say, but it just breaks from time
to time because so many changes are added daily. From time to time the
dependencies between packages doesn't fit and stuff breaks.

I don't really see or find any need for Ubuntu or Sidux. On the contrary
I find that the Ubuntu team messes up quite often and packages break
more frequently than any Debian branch - but that's just my experience.

>
> > Just go with testing - it's perfect.
>
> Agreed, I just like Ubuntu! )

That must be because of the "good looks" ;-)

>
> M.
> --
> |Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
> |Tiger Computing Ltd
> |"The Linux Specialists"
> |
> |Tel: 0330 088 1511
> |Web: http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk
> |
> |Registered in England. Company number: 3389961
> |Registered address: Wyastone Business Park,
> | Wyastone Leys, Monmouth, NP25 3SR
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
> listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Celejar
 
Default sidux + a word on Debian

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:47:08 +0200
Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk> wrote:

[snip]

> The unstable isn't really unstable per say, but it just breaks from time
> to time because so many changes are added daily. From time to time the
> dependencies between packages doesn't fit and stuff breaks.

As people have often explained on this list, the choice of the term
unstable is somewhat unfortunate. You're saying that it works pretty
well except for the occasional breakage, but what unstable really means
is that stuff *changes*. For example, Shorewall will get upgraded, and
voila, no more networking until you rewrite your configuration files,
after having learned the new format.


Celejar
--
mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Andrew Sackville-West
 
Default sidux + a word on Debian

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:03:52AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:47:08 +0200
> Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > The unstable isn't really unstable per say, but it just breaks from time
> > to time because so many changes are added daily. From time to time the
> > dependencies between packages doesn't fit and stuff breaks.
>
> As people have often explained on this list, the choice of the term
> unstable is somewhat unfortunate. You're saying that it works pretty
> well except for the occasional breakage, but what unstable really means
> is that stuff *changes*. For example, Shorewall will get upgraded, and
> voila, no more networking until you rewrite your configuration files,
> after having learned the new format.

excellent description. MY wife, whose box is running mostly-up-to-date
sid, is annoyed because every few months some program changes it's
icon or some bit of its interface layout... another aspect of
"unstable".

A
 
Old 04-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Rico Secada
 
Default sidux + a word on Debian

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:03:52 -0400
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:47:08 +0200
> Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > The unstable isn't really unstable per say, but it just breaks from
> > time to time because so many changes are added daily. From time to
> > time the dependencies between packages doesn't fit and stuff breaks.
>
> As people have often explained on this list, the choice of the term
> unstable is somewhat unfortunate. You're saying that it works pretty
> well except for the occasional breakage, but what unstable really
> means is that stuff *changes*. For example, Shorewall will get
> upgraded, and voila, no more networking until you rewrite your
> configuration files, after having learned the new format.

That was what I wrote: "so many changes are added daily". :-)

>
> Celejar
> --
> mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
> ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
> listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Sven Joachim
 
Default sidux + a word on Debian

On 2008-04-15 18:35 +0200, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> excellent description. MY wife, whose box is running mostly-up-to-date
> sid, is annoyed because every few months some program changes it's
> icon or some bit of its interface layout... another aspect of
> "unstable".

True. Probably stable would be better for your wife, although there is
one problem: after a new stable release, _almost every_ program has
changed, and often quite drastically.

Maybe she should just use Windows XP, which has been virtually unchanged
for seven years. *duck*

Sven


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Andrew Sackville-West
 
Default sidux + a word on Debian

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:02:13PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2008-04-15 18:35 +0200, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> > excellent description. MY wife, whose box is running mostly-up-to-date
> > sid, is annoyed because every few months some program changes it's
> > icon or some bit of its interface layout... another aspect of
> > "unstable".
>
> True. Probably stable would be better for your wife, although there is
> one problem: after a new stable release, _almost every_ program has
> changed, and often quite drastically.
>
> Maybe she should just use Windows XP, which has been virtually unchanged
> for seven years. *duck*

you better duck buddy!

Frankly, my wife is quite practical about this and is very
happy since the switch to debian, if for no other reason than I've
quit saying... "I've got to switch your machine to debian..."

She is actually quite happy with it, but she learned to use computers
at the same time as they (desktop) were developing... so she's used
several versions of windows, dos, mac, maybe even pre-mac apple... for
her it's just another version of the same thing and so long as she can
do what she needs and wants she's happy. I guess she is one of those
folks (like most of us here) who knows how to use *computers* not just
windows...

A
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:04 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org