Old 09-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Roger Leigh

Default LSB init script virtual facility for name switch service resolution

On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 06:50:57PM +0100, Jamie Thompson wrote:
> Not sure where it's best to start this discussion, but here seems a
> good a place as any.
>
> In brief, I have all my account information in LDAP. Problem is, I
> have to manually add slapd into most of my init scripts to make sure
> the ordering is correct and that my accounts DB is up in time for
> starting the services. This then means merging in updates which gets
> *very* tiresome.
>
> The article http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/#line-116 shows
> several virtual facility names, and I suspect something akin to
> $named would be desirable for all of the services that could provide
> backends for in nsswitch data, i.e. slapd - all scripts that run
> with their own user account could then depend on this facility. I
> propose something as suggested in the
> http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DebianVirtualFacilities
> article, e.g. 'x-nsswitch'.
>
> Thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea. Please could you file a bug against
insserv to request it. Have you discussed this with the LDAP
maintainers at all? It might be worth getting their input
before getting the virtual facility added.

Packages should probably only use Should-Start rather than
Required-Start, so that this isn't going to cause circular
dependencies?

Regards,
Roger

--