Old 09-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Jamie Thompson

Default LSB init script virtual facility for name switch service resolution

Not sure where it's best to start this discussion, but here seems a good
a place as any.

In brief, I have all my account information in LDAP. Problem is, I have
to manually add slapd into most of my init scripts to make sure the
ordering is correct and that my accounts DB is up in time for starting
the services. This then means merging in updates which gets *very* tiresome.

The article http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/#line-116 shows
several virtual facility names, and I suspect something akin to $named
would be desirable for all of the services that could provide backends
for in nsswitch data, i.e. slapd - all scripts that run with their own
user account could then depend on this facility. I propose something as
suggested in the
http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DebianVirtualFacilities article,
e.g. 'x-nsswitch'.

Thoughts?