Old 04-15-2008, 02:31 AM
L.V.Gandhi

Default fsck died with nexit status 8

I get the above message while booting and halts for maintenance. I
have winxp, kubuntu also in the same machine. I give root password,
umount /dev/sda9 which is root and do e2fsck /dev/sda9. I get msg
"Superblock last mount time is in future. Fix(y)?. I do y.Then iot
says /dev/sda9 clean. But if I reboot immediately, then also the
machine gets halted with same message?
Any idea why this occurs?
What is the solution?

--
L.V.Gandhi
http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/

Old 04-15-2008, 03:20 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Tuesday 15 April 2008 04:31:33 L.V.Gandhi wrote:
> I get the above message while booting and halts for maintenance. I
> have winxp, kubuntu also in the same machine. I give root password,
> umount /dev/sda9 which is root and do e2fsck /dev/sda9. I get msg
> "Superblock last mount time is in future. Fix(y)?. I do y.Then iot
> says /dev/sda9 clean. But if I reboot immediately, then also the
> machine gets halted with same message?
> Any idea why this occurs?
> What is the solution?
>
> --
> L.V.Gandhi
> http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/
> linux user No.205042

Is your clock set UT or local? XP may mangle the things.
Thierry

Old 04-15-2008, 04:02 AM
"Sudev Barar"

On 15/04/2008, L. V. Gandhi <lvgandhi@gmail.com> wrote:
> I get the above message while booting and halts for maintenance. I
> have winxp, kubuntu also in the same machine. I give root password,
> umount /dev/sda9 which is root and do e2fsck /dev/sda9. I get msg
> "Superblock last mount time is in future. Fix(y)?. I do y.Then iot
> says /dev/sda9 clean. But if I reboot immediately, then also the
> machine gets halted with same message?
> Any idea why this occurs?

I too faced this problem in past. My impression is that usually at
time of install the system clock is not set in some distros or your
local time gets set as EST (US) which means that at next boot in terms
of local time (Indian) you are looking at file system having a future
time stamp by about 12 hours.
You get this error even if you run updatedb or sudo commands on
install. This occurs for the first day and then everything starts
behaving presumably because your local time stamp is now atleast equal
or ahead of time stamp on files..

> What is the solution?

Perhaps a trivial bug that needs to be corrected in installer.

Sudev Barar