-   -   LPR printer driver installation under debian Squeeze (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/697520-lpr-printer-driver-installation-under-debian-squeeze.html)

Rick Lutowski 08-25-2012 02:39 AM

LPR printer driver installation under debian Squeeze

Am trying to get a Brother HL-2240 printer working with a new debian
Squeeze installation. The Brother website has a linux LPR driver in
.deb format that installed and worked easily under Lenny using the gnome
Printer install menu. Under Squeeze, the gnome Printer install menu
seems to be looking for a PPD file, but Brother does not have a PPD
format driver for the HL-2240. Also tried using aptitude to install it
but cannot get aptitude to look in a local directory for a .deb file.
(Am not sure if using aptitude will work anyway since the file is driver
is LPR and not PPD.) Anyone know how to get a LPR driver that works
under Lenny to work under Squeeze?

--
Rick Lutowski
rick@jreality.com

Archive: 50383AF6.8070604@jreality.com">http://lists.debian.org/50383AF6.8070604@jreality.com

Gary Dale 08-25-2012 03:32 AM

LPR printer driver installation under debian Squeeze

Am trying to get a Brother HL-2240 printer working with a new debian
Squeeze installation. The Brother website has a linux LPR driver in
.deb format that installed and worked easily under Lenny using the
gnome Printer install menu. Under Squeeze, the gnome Printer install
menu seems to be looking for a PPD file, but Brother does not have a
PPD format driver for the HL-2240. Also tried using aptitude to
install it but cannot get aptitude to look in a local directory for a
.deb file. (Am not sure if using aptitude will work anyway since the
file is driver is LPR and not PPD.) Anyone know how to get a LPR
driver that works under Lenny to work under Squeeze?

The instructions on the Brother web site work well. I have a Brother
HL-2240 connected to a Squeeze server and it prints fine.

Archive: 50384742.5000304@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/50384742.5000304@rogers.com

Camaleón 08-25-2012 12:06 PM

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 21:39:50 -0500, Rick Lutowski wrote:

> Am trying to get a Brother HL-2240 printer working with a new debian
> Squeeze installation.

The OpenPrinting site says the printer is "paperweight":

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Brother/Brother-HL-2240

It seems that needs from external drivers which is always a bad signal
(ufff.. how bad, it's a GDI printer).

> The Brother website has a linux LPR driver in .deb format that
> installed and worked easily under Lenny using the gnome Printer install
> menu. Under Squeeze, the gnome Printer install menu seems to be
> looking for a PPD file, but Brother does not have a PPD format driver
> for the HL-2240. Also tried using aptitude to install it but cannot
> get aptitude to look in a local directory for a .deb file. (Am not sure
> if using aptitude will work anyway since the file is driver is LPR and
> not PPD.) Anyone know how to get a LPR driver that works under Lenny
> to work under Squeeze?

As per Brother site¹, it seems there are two set of drivers (lpr and a
cupswrapper) and also detailed instructions on how to install them. Just
follow the given steps and whether in doubt, simply ask.

¹http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#HL-2240

Greetings,

--
Camaleón