Old 08-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Bob Proulx

Default is there a way of getting back the original /etc/bind

Gary Kline wrote:
> Can someone send me a tarball of the original /etc/bind from my
> debian 6.0.5? my old ubuntu server and otther hardware broke, and
> until I can get a new Dell, I want to put back my test [Debian]
> computer to its original state.

You can do this for yourself. Backup your existing /etc/bind (and
possibly /var/cache/bind) directory. Then purge bind9. Then
reinstall bind9. The purge will delete all files associated with the
package. Verify this and remove any lint that may be left behind
manually with 'rm'. The installation will create the /etc/bind
directory fresh and you will have your own original state returned.

If your machine is configured with dhcp then all should work
automatically. But if configured statically where you set the IP
addresses of your nameservers then after the purge and before the
installation you may need to adjust /etc/resolv.conf to set a
nameserver manually. I don't know because you didn't say. But worst
case is that you might or you won't be able to look up names which
would prevent the installation. In that case adjust the nameserver
line in /etc/resolv.conf and then install bind9.

After installing bind9 again verify the contents of /etc/resolv.conf
are okay. The 'resolvconf' package is useful for automatically
configuring /etc/resolv.conf from other configuration.

Bob

Old 08-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
>>
>> Can someone send me a tarball of the original /etc/bind from my
>> debian 6.0.5? my old ubuntu server and otther hardware broke, and
>> until I can get a new Dell, I want to put back my test [Debian]
>> computer to its original state.
>
> You can do this for yourself. Backup your existing /etc/bind (and
> possibly /var/cache/bind) directory. Then purge bind9. Then
> reinstall bind9.

You can also use "apt-get -o DPkg::Options::="--force-confmiss"
--reinstall install <packagename>" after moving the config files to
another directory rather than purge and re-install.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Bob Proulx

Tom H wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Gary Kline wrote:
> > > Can someone send me a tarball of the original /etc/bind from my
> > > debian 6.0.5? my old ubuntu server and otther hardware broke, and
> > > until I can get a new Dell, I want to put back my test [Debian]
> > > computer to its original state.
> >
> > You can do this for yourself. Backup your existing /etc/bind (and
> > possibly /var/cache/bind) directory. Then purge bind9. Then
> > reinstall bind9.
>
> You can also use "apt-get -o DPkg::Options::="--force-confmiss"
> --reinstall install <packagename>" after moving the config files to
> another directory rather than purge and re-install.

Almost. That won't remove any files that were left behind as lint
from something previous. Any new file will come in again as new. But
previous files left behind from previous package versions or just
other random files won't be removed. So it isn't quite the same as a
pristine installation state.

But I agree that it might be plenty good enough! :-)

Bob

Old 08-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 12:10:45 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> Can someone send me a tarball of the original /etc/bind from my debian
> 6.0.5? my old ubuntu server and otther hardware broke, and until I can
> get a new Dell, I want to put back my test [Debian] computer to its
> original state.

In addition to what others have suggested, you can also get it from here:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/bind9

Scroll to down and select your architecture.

There's no need to install the package, a ".deb" file can be examined
using Midnight Commander or an archiver application that supports this
format so you can simly "extract" the desired data.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón