Old 08-24-2012, 05:34 PM
T Elcor

Default Grub2: How to clone a bootable disk?

Hi,

I have two identical hard drives, one HD contains a bootable wheezy installation and I'd like to clone it to the other HD. My first idea was to use "dd" but since grub2 uses disk IDs in /boot/grub/devices.map and /etc/fstab then once the disk is cloned it probably will not boot, unless I fix the entries in the above files. To fix the files I need to know disk IDs and partition UUIDs... not sure how to get them. Is there an easier way to clone a bootable disk without editing grub2 and fstab files?

Thanks

Old 08-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:34:54 -0700, T Elcor wrote:

> I have two identical hard drives, one HD contains a bootable wheezy
> installation and I'd like to clone it to the other HD. My first idea was
> to use "dd" but since grub2 uses disk IDs in /boot/grub/devices.map and
> /etc/fstab then once the disk is cloned it probably will not boot,
> unless I fix the entries in the above files. To fix the files I need to
> know disk IDs and partition UUIDs... not sure how to get them.

"ls -ls /dev/disk/by-*id" will tell.

> Is there an easier way to clone a bootable disk without editing grub2
> and fstab files?

You can clone it (better from Clonezilla or at least from a non-live
system) and then edit the needed files from a LiveCD. Don't worry, most
sure is that the cloned system is still bootable by direct input
(manually) from GRUB2 itself.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-24-2012, 06:04 PM
T Elcor

From: Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>

>> * To fix the files I need to* know disk IDs and partition UUIDs... not sure how to get them.
>
> "ls -ls /dev/disk/by-*id" will tell.

Thank you. A lot clearer now.