Old 08-24-2012, 04:01 PM

Default mp3 to speex

Can speex be used to represent a recording which is mostly voice
but has some non-voice sound?

In this experiment the intention is to retrieve the stream by http,
send PCM to stdout, pipe that to speexenc and save as a *.spx file.

peter@dalton:~$ vlc --demuxdump-file=-
http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/media/2011-2012/qq-2012-01-21.mp3
| speexenc qq-2012-01-21.spx
VLC media player 1.1.3 The Luggage (revision exported)
Warning: call to srand(1345820228)
Warning: call to rand()
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")

Syntax corrections?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Telephone +13606390202. Bcc: peter at easthope.ca http://carnot.yi.org/

Old 08-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 08:01:18 -0800, peasthope wrote:

> Can speex be used to represent a recording which is mostly voice but has
> some non-voice sound?

I don't see why not :-?

> In this experiment the intention is to retrieve the stream by http, send
> PCM to stdout, pipe that to speexenc and save as a *.spx file.
>
> peter@dalton:~$ vlc --demuxdump-file=- http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/media/2011-2012/qq-2012-01-21.mp3 | speexenc qq-2012-01-21.spx
> VLC media player 1.1.3 The Luggage (revision exported)
> Warning: call to srand(1345820228)
> Warning: call to rand()
> Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
> Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
>
> Syntax corrections?

Mmm... maybe just a missing step :-?

The manual of "speexenc" describes itself as an "utility used to create Speex
files from raw PCM or wave files" I mean, nothing about mp3 as input source
so maybe is that you first have to convert the stream into PCM or WAV and
then send it to "speexenc" (i.e., mp3 → pcm/wav → speex).

I would look at "sox" as it seems very powerful for these kind of sound
processing tasks.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM, <peasthope@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Can speex be used to represent a recording which is mostly voice
> but has some non-voice sound?

Yes, it will be less than ideal for those sounds, but as long as it
is not a majority of the file, it shouldn't be too bad.

> In this experiment the intention is to retrieve the stream by http,
> send PCM to stdout, pipe that to speexenc and save as a *.spx file.
>
> peter@dalton:~$ vlc --demuxdump-file=-
> http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/media/2011-2012/qq-2012-01-21.mp3
> | speexenc qq-2012-01-21.spx
> VLC media player 1.1.3 The Luggage (revision exported)
> Warning: call to srand(1345820228)
> Warning: call to rand()
> Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
> Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")

Those seem like odd errors, but I would dump the stream
to a file (personally I always use mplayer, but VLC should
work I suppose), then convert to wav (presuming mp3 is
the native format of the stream in this case...) and then
to speex.

I am not sure it is worth it though, converting from
one lossy format to another rarely works well. You
tend to get really poor sound quality, and I doubt it
would be worth it for the size savings you would get.
If you really need it smaller, you may be able to
convert it to a lower bitrate mp3, depending on what
it is to start with.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers