-   -   gnome-session & charsh (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/697313-gnome-session-charsh.html)

Francesco Pietra 08-24-2012 01:34 PM

gnome-session & charsh

Hi all:
Since the latest gnome, the sequence "startx" "gnome-session" is often
attended by hanging of linux at "gnome-session" with both i386 and
amd64 wheezy. Gnome dislikes much more than in the past not be set
completely free.

I suggest that in Debian mirrors, gnome is so arranged that launching
it be an optional. In computational chemistry/biochemistry,
particularly with amd64, most work is at the linux prompt. Now, with
the advent of CPU-GPU systems, the graphic interface is used with
servers ans testing version, too. But only at certain stages.

Thanks

francesco pietra

Chris Swenson 08-24-2012 01:37 PM

gnome-session & charsh

I believe there's an option at install whether to install a GUI.
– Chris Swenson

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAEv0nmuV=WRwi-yzL_UrXmedsuo3Zo9wfqQ9OhcxkjO4X7cmiQ@mail.gmail.co m

Camaleón 08-24-2012 03:42 PM

gnome-session & charsh

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:34:35 +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:

(please, don't cross-post or at least add a big warning...)

> Since the latest gnome, the sequence "startx" "gnome-session" is often
> attended by hanging of linux at "gnome-session" with both i386 and amd64
> wheezy. Gnome dislikes much more than in the past not be set completely
> free.

Yes, I've also noticed that in gnome3+gnome-shell (wheezy). By the way,
this adds an ugly side effect: the Xorg server goes crazy and starts
filling up the "/var/log/*" with hunderds of small "Xorg.nn.log" files ;-(

> I suggest that in Debian mirrors, gnome is so arranged that launching it
> be an optional. In computational chemistry/biochemistry, particularly
> with amd64, most work is at the linux prompt. Now, with the advent of
> CPU-GPU systems, the graphic interface is used with servers ans testing
> version, too. But only at certain stages.

That sounds a bit drastic measure that can match for specific corner
cases but I don't think is good to be set as default: most users expect
any GUI based desktop environment is automatically launched as soon as it
is installed alongside with a session manager.

In the end, advanced users do know how to prevent for a DE to be started
and for novices, having a GUI interface initiated by default is like a
big lifesaver ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Chris Bannister 08-25-2012 05:25 AM

gnome-session & charsh

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 03:34:35PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> I suggest that in Debian mirrors, gnome is so arranged that launching
> it be an optional. In computational chemistry/biochemistry,
> particularly with amd64, most work is at the linux prompt. Now, with

It would be better not to install gnome at all then. Just install a
basic window manager, and open an xterm as needed.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Francesco Pietra 08-25-2012 07:53 AM

gnome-session & charsh

I am bound to gnome for the program "gchempaint". In my experience, it
is the only program, freely available as gnu, that allows drawing
chemical structures as required by chemical journals.

jchempaint is based on gtk, therefore, in principle, it might run on
other window managers based on gtk. However, if not offered as
precompiled (as within gnome), it is extremely arduous to compile.

Otherwise, I am unhappy with gnome, not only for what I wrote, but
also because it lacks decent burners and pdf tools (I installed k3b
and okular from kde, to this purpose).

One should also take into account that VMD, used universally as 3D
viewer in combination with molecular dynamics and other science, looks
for GPU cards, to accelerate very heavy processes. I never tried if a
simple window manager provides adequate support to that.

What I blame of GNOME is that it wants to take possession of the
computer. "startxx" / "gnome-session" avoids this, but presently it
requires (perhaps) some extra settings, in order to avoid crashes. KDE
is even worse to this respect.

Finally, with so much automatic steps with gnome/kde, knowledge of
unix is being lost, people converge to microsoft/apple the more and
more.

francesco

Chris Bannister 08-25-2012 01:14 PM

gnome-session & charsh

[Please don't top post on this ML, and trim unnecessary content]

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 09:53:54AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> I am bound to gnome for the program "gchempaint". In my experience, it
> is the only program, freely available as gnu, that allows drawing
> chemical structures as required by chemical journals.

So why not just install gchempaint on its own, or is it tied so much into
gnome that it is more trouble than its worth? If that is the case, what
about loose coupling and strong cohesion principle? :(

oppressing." --- Malcolm X