Old 08-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Camaleón

Default Dual-Monitor help

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:13:36 -0500, Nelson Green wrote:

> I have been trying to get a dual monitor set-up working, and am getting
> no where with this, so it is time to request help.
>
> I have a Dell Precision T5500 with dual video cards, and I would like to
> have one large screen spread across the two monitors. The graphics cards
> are nVidia Quadro 600s, with a monitor connected to each DVI output.

(...)

> (EE) [drm] failed to open device
> (EE) VESA: Kernel modesetting driver in use, refusing to load
> (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
(...)
> (II) Loading sub module "fb"
> (II) LoadModule: "fb"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
(...)

> (==) FBDEV(0): Backing store disabled
> (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument

Some unordered/random/quick thoughts...

1/ There seems to be a problem with the driver. As you are using Squeeze
with nvidia cards, the driver to load should be either "nouveau" or "nv"
but no "fbdev". My will guess is that the VGA cards are too new for
Squeeze's xserver Xorg packages, maybe you need to update these or that
simply KMS is having some sort of problem to be loaded.

2/ You can also try the closed source nvidia package which usually works
very well. More info about your options can be found here:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers/

3/ For setting up Xorg with dual cards (that is, two physical devices
plugged) and also configuring an extended desktop, you may also need to
manually adjust your xorg.conf file settings. Some hints here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#More_than_one_graphics_card
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Multiple_monitors

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Nelson Green

> Unfortunately, lxrandr only shows the single monitor. Another issue I
> have is nothing from xrandr nor lxrandr shows an output interface. If
> I could get that information I might at least have a place to start.

OK, I feel dumb. I was just setting up a VM, and the output of xrandr is
similar. It sudddenly dawned on me that the output interface is "default".
I was expecting something like VGA1. HDMI, etc.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Nelson Green

> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> From: noelamac@gmail.com
> Subject: Re: Dual-Monitor help
> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 17:20:04 +0000
>
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:13:36 -0500, Nelson Green wrote:
>
> > I have been trying to get a dual monitor set-up working, and am getting
> > no where with this, so it is time to request help.
> >
> > I have a Dell Precision T5500 with dual video cards, and I would like to
> > have one large screen spread across the two monitors. The graphics cards
> > are nVidia Quadro 600s, with a monitor connected to each DVI output.
>
> (...)
>
> > (EE) [drm] failed to open device
> > (EE) VESA: Kernel modesetting driver in use, refusing to load
> > (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
> (...)
> > (II) Loading sub module "fb"
> > (II) LoadModule: "fb"
> > (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
> (...)
>
> > (==) FBDEV(0): Backing store disabled
> > (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
>
> Some unordered/random/quick thoughts...
>
> 1/ There seems to be a problem with the driver. As you are using Squeeze
> with nvidia cards, the driver to load should be either "nouveau" or "nv"
> but no "fbdev". My will guess is that the VGA cards are too new for
> Squeeze's xserver Xorg packages, maybe you need to update these or that
> simply KMS is having some sort of problem to be loaded.
>
> 2/ You can also try the closed source nvidia package which usually works
> very well. More info about your options can be found here:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers/
>
> 3/ For setting up Xorg with dual cards (that is, two physical devices
> plugged) and also configuring an extended desktop, you may also need to
> manually adjust your xorg.conf file settings. Some hints here:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#More_than_one_graphics_card
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Multiple_monitors
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Thanks Camaleón,

I am trying to stay away from anything closed source, and I believe that I have
the latest nouveau drivers installed as I am running a newly compiled 3.5.1
kernel. I would assume the tarball contained the latest drivers. lsmod shows no
fb anything. But you have pointed out a clue that I overlooked.

I will certainly check out the links. I will update y'all with the results, but I may
have to put this off until middle of next week. We are doing beta-testing of some
apps here and things are starting to get hectic.

Nelson

Old 08-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Nelson Green

> From: nelsongreen84@hotmail.com
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: RE: Dual-Monitor help
> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 13:16:03 -0500
>

> > Unfortunately, lxrandr only shows the single monitor. Another issue I
> > have is nothing from xrandr nor lxrandr shows an output interface. If
> > I could get that information I might at least have a place to start.
>
> OK, I feel dumb. I was just setting up a VM, and the output of xrandr is
> similar. It sudddenly dawned on me that the output interface is "default".
> I was expecting something like VGA1. HDMI, etc.

I meant I was setting up a separate VM in regards to a totally different project
when the realization hit me. The VM is not the system I am requesting help with.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 13:22:26 -0500, Nelson Green wrote:

(...)

>> Some unordered/random/quick thoughts...
>>
>> 1/ There seems to be a problem with the driver. As you are using
>> Squeeze with nvidia cards, the driver to load should be either
>> "nouveau" or "nv" but no "fbdev". My will guess is that the VGA cards
>> are too new for Squeeze's xserver Xorg packages, maybe you need to
>> update these or that simply KMS is having some sort of problem to be
>> loaded.
>>
>> 2/ You can also try the closed source nvidia package which usually
>> works very well. More info about your options can be found here:
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers/
>>
>> 3/ For setting up Xorg with dual cards (that is, two physical devices
>> plugged) and also configuring an extended desktop, you may also need to
>> manually adjust your xorg.conf file settings. Some hints here:
>>
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#More_than_one_graphics_card
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Multiple_monitors
>>

> Thanks Camaleón,
>
> I am trying to stay away from anything closed source,

That's doable but what if your nvidia cards are still not (well)
supported by nouveau?

> and I believe that I have the latest nouveau drivers installed as I am
> running a newly compiled 3.5.1 kernel.

That's fine as long as your xserver Xorg also supports the cards. And it
seems you cards pertain to those codenamed "NVC0" and more specifically
to "NVC1 (GF108)", there's more info about their status here:

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames#NVC0

Also, consider using a backported kernel (with xorg and mesa) instead a
self-compiled one.

> I would assume the tarball contained the latest drivers. lsmod shows no
> fb anything. But you have pointed out a clue that I overlooked.

Well, given the logs you sent there's no trace about "nouveau" drivers
being used (they're loaded but somehow fail to reclaim the cards) :-?

> I will certainly check out the links. I will update y'all with the
> results, but I may have to put this off until middle of next week. We
> are doing beta-testing of some apps here and things are starting to get
> hectic.

I would center first in getting the correct driver to be loaded and then
go with the dual card setup. Good luck then and report back the
results :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Nelson Green

> Also, consider using a backported kernel (with xorg and mesa) instead a
> self-compiled one.

I am certainly willing to try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

> I would center first in getting the correct driver to be loaded and then
> go with the dual card setup. Good luck then and report back the
> results :-)

I will report back, but I probably won't get a chance to touch this until next
week, and it could even be the week after that. We have a new server coming
in next week that I am supposed to set up as a warm spare for some of our
internal services. I also have a dual-port Quardro 5800 that I can install if I
don't get anywhere with my current configuration.

Thanks for the help!

Nelson

Old 08-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Nelson Green

> Then for batch mode automated startup I have the following in my X1<
> startup file.
>
> if xrandr --query | grep -q HDMI;; then
> xrandr --auto --output HDMI --right-of HDMI<
> fi

Hi Bob,

I've almost gotten everything working, but one question remains.

First, I ended up removing the two Quadro 600 cards, and I installed
a single Quadro 570, which has dual DVI outputs. Second, I had to boot
to the stock Squeeze kernel instead of the custom 3.5.1 one.

But after taking those two steps, I am now able to define my second
monitor exactly as you described.

Modifying your script for my my hardware works just fine from a
terminal after logging in:

if xrandr --query | grep -q DVI-I-2; then
* xrandr --auto --output DVI-I-2 --right-of DVI-I-1
fi

So, my final question is, where is my X11 start-up file?

Thanks,
Nelson

Old 08-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Bob Proulx

Nelson Green wrote:
> So, my final question is, where is my X11 start-up file?

There are several different ways to start up X11. Probably the
simplest for you is to create a $HOME/.xsession file. The
xdm/gdm/kdm/lightdm processes will use it if the file exists. Create
it with the following contents.

Create this ~/.xsession file:

#!/bin/bash --login
if xrandr --query | grep -q DVI-I-2=3B then
xrandr --auto --output DVI-I-2 --right-of DVI-I-1
fi
exec x-session-manager

Then make sure to make the file executable.

chmod a+x ~/.xsession

The '#!/bin/bash --login' part if your login shell is /bin/bash and it
ensures that your ~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile is read just the same
as if you were logging into the system otherwise. Then your PATH and
LANG and other variables will be set as you desire.

The 'x-session-manager' is a Debian package specific symlink handle
that always points to the currently configured window manager. This
could be any of gnome, kde, lxde, xfce, fvwm, twm, openbox, or any of
the others. It depends upon what you have installed. A system
default. Of course you can also specifically call out one of your
desired desktop environments or window managers explicitly.

You can see what is configured with:

update-alternatives --display x-session-manager

Bob

Old 08-29-2012, 05:17 PM
The Wanderer

So, my final question is, where is my X11 start-up file?

There are several different ways to start up X11. Probably the simplest for
you is to create a $HOME/.xsession file. The xdm/gdm/kdm/lightdm processes
will use it if the file exists. Create it with the following contents.

Create this ~/.xsession file:

#!/bin/bash --login
if xrandr --query | grep -q DVI-I-2=3B then
xrandr --auto --output DVI-I-2 --right-of DVI-I-1
fi
exec x-session-manager

The 'x-session-manager' is a Debian package specific symlink handle that
always points to the currently configured window manager.

Isn't that 'x-window-manager'?

At least, I don't have an 'x-session-manager' on my system (tracking testing,
with a few hints of stable and sid), but I do have 'x-window-manager'.

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
- LiveJournal user antonia_tiger

Archive: 503E4EB3.4020209@fastmail.fm">http://lists.debian.org/503E4EB3.4020209@fastmail.fm

Old 08-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Bob Proulx

The Wanderer wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > exec x-session-manager
>
> >The 'x-session-manager' is a Debian package specific symlink handle that
> >always points to the currently configured window manager.
>
> Isn't that 'x-window-manager'?
>
> At least, I don't have an 'x-session-manager' on my system (tracking testing,
> with a few hints of stable and sid), but I do have 'x-window-manager'.

Well... I really meant x-session-manager since that is the system
default. x-window-manager is something related but different. And
then there is also x-terminal-emulator in the complete set.

A heavy desktop environment may be started by x-session-manager and
whatever that is may call x-window-manager to start up a system
configured window manager. (But many of us do not run heavy desktop
environments and may simply start up a window manager only.) And
either may start up x-terminal-emulator. And those are simply logical
handles created by Debian to manage what happens when people install
or uninstall the long list of available packages. A way to make the
transition automatic.

Systems will diverge depending upon what is installed. The right
answer may be different for different combinations of installed
packages. The system tries one and then falls back to the other. But
for a personal file I don't expect that level of generality is needed.

Look in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/* for x-session-manager. On my system:

$ find /etc/X11/Xsession.d -type f -exec grep -lh x-session-manager {} +
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/55gnome-session_gnomerc
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/55awesome-javaworkaround
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/50x11-common_determine-startup

At the least I expect you would have 50x11-common_determine-startup
since that is part of x11-common. The exact list depends upon what is
installed. Those startup files call x-session-manager first and fall
back to x-window-manager if it isn't installed.

Snippet from /etc/X11/Xsession.d/50x11-common_determine-startup where
we can see that all three are involved in a fallback control flow.

# If there is still nothing to use for a startup program, try the system
# default session manager, window manager, and terminal emulator.
if [ -z "$STARTUP" ]; then
if [ -x /usr/bin/x-session-manager ]; then
STARTUP=x-session-manager
elif [ -x /usr/bin/x-window-manager ]; then
STARTUP=x-window-manager
elif [ -x /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator ]; then
STARTUP=x-terminal-emulator
fi
fi

And you can see what x-session-manager is with update-alternatives.
Again on my system:

$ update-alternatives --display x-session-manager
x-session-manager - auto mode
link currently points to /usr/bin/gnome-session
/usr/bin/gnome-session - priority 50
slave x-session-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/gnome-session.1.gz
/usr/bin/gnome-session-fallback - priority 40
slave x-session-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/gnome-session.1.gz
/usr/bin/lxsession - priority 49
slave x-session-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/lxsession.1.gz
/usr/bin/openbox-session - priority 40
slave x-session-manager.1.gz:
/usr/share/man/man1/openbox-session.1.gz
/usr/bin/startlxde - priority 50
slave x-session-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/startlxde.1.gz
/usr/bin/startxfce4 - priority 50
slave x-session-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/startxfce4.1.gz
/usr/bin/xfce4-session - priority 40
slave x-session-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/xfce4-session.1.gz
Current 'best' version is '/usr/bin/gnome-session'.

Although on my system the default is auto mode with gnome-session I
actually select awesome or fvwm explicitly in my .xsession files. I
let the system do what it wants with gnome and it is available for me
to test with but I don't use it for my main desktop environment. As
you can see I have several installed for testing purposes.

Hopefully that explains what is happening.

Bob