Old 08-22-2012, 09:10 PM
"Astrid Jürgensen"

Default Problems with wlan connection via dhclient in Squeeze

Hi,

I recently upgraaded the operating system of my laptop from Debian Lenny
to Debian Squeeze. Since then, I have some problems connecting to the
internet using dhclient.

1. When I try to set up a wlan connection (wlan0) manually by typing
dhclient at a command line, I get no connection and the following message
on screen:

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.1.1-P1
Copyright 2004-2010 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

No broadcast interfaces found - exiting.

I can connect to the internet using an ethernet cable (eth0), getting the
following message on screen:

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.1.1-P1
Copyright 2004-2010 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/wlan0/xx:yy:zz:xy:xz:yz
Sending on LPF/wlan0/xx:yy:zz:xy:xz:yz
Listening on LPF/eth0/xx:zy:xz:yy:yz:zz
Sending on LPF/eth0/xx:zy:xz:yy:yz:zz
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.2.1
bound to 192.168.2.101 -- renewal in 134470 seconds.

Curiously, once I have established the eth0 connection, if I then pull the
ethernet cable and run dhclient again, I can connect via wlan (wlan0). The
following message appears on screen when I do so:

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.1.1-P1
Copyright 2004-2010 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/wlan0/xx:yy:zz:xy:xz:yz
Sending on LPF/wlan0/xx:yy:zz:xy:xz:yz
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.2.1
bound to 192.168.2.103 -- renewal in 135404 seconds.

What parameters do I have to change, in order to connect via wlan without
connecting via ethernet cable first?

2. Looking through the various log-files (syslog, dmesg, ...) I noticed
that the system tries to automatically connect to the internet
continuously even when there is no connection available. How do I turn
this off?
I only want the computer to search for and connect to the internet, when
I specifically tell it to do so.

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.

Cheers,
Astrid.
.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 23:10:45 +0200, Astrid Jürgensen wrote:

> I recently upgraaded the operating system of my laptop from Debian Lenny
> to Debian Squeeze. Since then, I have some problems connecting to the
> internet using dhclient.

(...)

Mmm... the only noticeable change I recall from lenny to squeeze
regarding the network it was this:

http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager#NetworkManager_in_Squeeze

But this is for setups where N-M handles the wireless adapter and given
you are manually configuring the network, you better try with tehse
guides and manuals:

http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html

> What parameters do I have to change, in order to connect via wlan
> without connecting via ethernet cable first?

Mu wild guess is that you first need to configure the wireless card
accordingly to your setup, that is, by manually providing all of the
settings.

> 2. Looking through the various log-files (syslog, dmesg, ...) I noticed
> that the system tries to automatically connect to the internet
> continuously even when there is no connection available. How do I turn
> this off?

Better if you can provide the syslog so we can review what's going on
(you can omit any sensitive information).

> I only want the computer to search for and connect to the internet, when
> I specifically tell it to do so.

I think this is well explained in the above referred docs :-)

(hint: each network interface can be set to auto/allow-hotplug...)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón