Old 08-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Artifex Maximus

Default Virtualbox 64 bit guest option is missing

Hello!

Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64 is not showing 64 bit for guest and
guest x86_64 OS installer displays CPU mismatch error. My CPU is a
E5200 which does not have VT support. Virtualbox page says "On 64-bit
hosts (which typically come with hardware virtualization support),
64-bit guest operating systems are always supported regardless of
settings, so you can simply install a 64-bit operating system in the
guest.". It is not clear for me that 64 bit host is enough or VT is
required for 64 bit guests.

The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
there any solution staying at the current CPU? If I change the CPU am
I need to reinstall Virtualbox?

Bye,

Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Greg Madden

On Wednesday 22 August 2012 10:21:50 am Artifex Maximus wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64 is not showing 64 bit for guest and
> guest x86_64 OS installer displays CPU mismatch error. My CPU is a
> E5200 which does not have VT support. Virtualbox page says "On 64-bit
> hosts (which typically come with hardware virtualization support),
> 64-bit guest operating systems are always supported regardless of
> settings, so you can simply install a 64-bit operating system in the
> guest.". It is not clear for me that 64 bit host is enough or VT is
> required for 64 bit guests.
>
> The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
> there any solution staying at the current CPU? If I change the CPU am
> I need to reinstall Virtualbox?
>
> Bye,

I think you have the answser, afaik, you can not run 64bit guests without vt
support. So, will 32 bit guests be enough for your use?

VT-x/AMD-v cpus are the way to go. It was a substantial increase in performance
when I upgraded. I know AMD advertises multiple cores for virtualization.
--
Peace,

Greg

Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Artifex Maximus

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM, Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 August 2012 10:21:50 am Artifex Maximus wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64 is not showing 64 bit for guest and
>> guest x86_64 OS installer displays CPU mismatch error. My CPU is a
>> E5200 which does not have VT support. Virtualbox page says "On 64-bit
>> hosts (which typically come with hardware virtualization support),
>> 64-bit guest operating systems are always supported regardless of
>> settings, so you can simply install a 64-bit operating system in the
>> guest.". It is not clear for me that 64 bit host is enough or VT is
>> required for 64 bit guests.
>>
>> The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
>> there any solution staying at the current CPU? If I change the CPU am
>> I need to reinstall Virtualbox?
>>
>> Bye,
>
> I think you have the answser, afaik, you can not run 64bit guests without vt
> support. So, will 32 bit guests be enough for your use?

Thank you. Looks like I have to buy a new CPU with VT. Unfortunately
32 bit is not enough for me as I would like to test 64 bit systems
within my Virtualbox.

> VT-x/AMD-v cpus are the way to go. It was a substantial increase in performance
> when I upgraded. I know AMD advertises multiple cores for virtualization.

I look for some E8xxx CPU. It has higher FSB and clock speed than mine
which is a plus.

Bye,

Old 08-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Darac Marjal

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 08:21:50PM +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64 is not showing 64 bit for guest and
> guest x86_64 OS installer displays CPU mismatch error. My CPU is a
> E5200 which does not have VT support. Virtualbox page says "On 64-bit
> hosts (which typically come with hardware virtualization support),
> 64-bit guest operating systems are always supported regardless of
> settings, so you can simply install a 64-bit operating system in the
> guest.". It is not clear for me that 64 bit host is enough or VT is
> required for 64 bit guests.
>
> The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
> there any solution staying at the current CPU? If I change the CPU am
> I need to reinstall Virtualbox?

When you specify the guest operating system type, do you have the option
for 64-bit OSes? When creating a new Virtual machine, if you select,
say, "Debian", you'll get a 32-bit virtual processor. What you need to
do is select "Debian (64-bit)", if available, and then your guest can
access the 64-bit capabilities.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Jon Dowland

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 08:21:50PM +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64

Are you running both of

• a 64bit kernel (I guess yes, given above)
• the 64bit version of virtualbox (not the 32bit one on top of 64bit kernel)

Old 08-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Artifex Maximus

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 08:21:50PM +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64 is not showing 64 bit for guest and
>> guest x86_64 OS installer displays CPU mismatch error. My CPU is a
>> E5200 which does not have VT support. Virtualbox page says "On 64-bit
>> hosts (which typically come with hardware virtualization support),
>> 64-bit guest operating systems are always supported regardless of
>> settings, so you can simply install a 64-bit operating system in the
>> guest.". It is not clear for me that 64 bit host is enough or VT is
>> required for 64 bit guests.
>>
>> The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
>> there any solution staying at the current CPU? If I change the CPU am
>> I need to reinstall Virtualbox?
>
> When you specify the guest operating system type, do you have the option
> for 64-bit OSes? When creating a new Virtual machine, if you select,
> say, "Debian", you'll get a 32-bit virtual processor. What you need to
> do is select "Debian (64-bit)", if available, and then your guest can
> access the 64-bit capabilities.

There is no such 64-bit entry.

Bye,

Old 08-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Artifex Maximus

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 08:21:50PM +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64
>
> Are you running both of
>
> • a 64bit kernel (I guess yes, given above)

Yes, latest.

> • the 64bit version of virtualbox (not the 32bit one on top of 64bit kernel)

I am using Virtualbox from Debian packages installed with aptitude
which I think 64 bit by default on 64 bit OS.

Bye,

Old 08-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Camalen

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:21:50 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:

> Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64 is not showing 64 bit for guest and guest
> x86_64 OS installer displays CPU mismatch error. My CPU is a E5200 which
> does not have VT support. Virtualbox page says "On 64-bit hosts (which
> typically come with hardware virtualization support), 64-bit guest
> operating systems are always supported regardless of settings, so you
> can simply install a 64-bit operating system in the guest.".

The three listed conditions have to be met :-(

> It is not clear for me that 64 bit host is enough or VT is required for
> 64 bit guests.

I regret to say that yes: for 64-bits guests VirtualBox requires VT-x, it
is more detailed here:

"(...) Even though VirtualBox does not always require hardware
virtualization, enabling it is required in the following scenarios:

(...)

- VirtualBox's 64-bit guest support (added with version 2.0) and
multiprocessing (SMP, added with version 3.0) both require hardware
virtualization to be enabled. (This is not much of a limitation since the
vast majority of today's 64-bit and multicore CPUs ship with hardware
virtualization anyway; the exceptions to this rule are e.g. older Intel
Celeron and AMD Opteron CPUs.)"

> The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
> there any solution staying at the current CPU?

Well, you can stil install a 32-bits guest OS but for 64-bits you need a
VT-x enabled micro, yes.

> If I change the CPU am I need to reinstall Virtualbox?

I don't think so.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch10.html#hwvirt

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 08-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Artifex Maximus

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for your long and detailed answer. I cut it down a bit, sorry.

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:21:50 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>
>> The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
>> there any solution staying at the current CPU?
>
> Well, you can stil install a 32-bits guest OS but for 64-bits you need a
> VT-x enabled micro, yes.

OK, now a lovely little E8400 power my machine which is VT-x and VT-d capable.

http://ark.intel.com/products/33910/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E8400-%286M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB%29

>> If I change the CPU am I need to reinstall Virtualbox?
>
> I don't think so.

Well. Still no 64 bit option and System/Acceleration tab is disabled
in my Virtualbox. Any idea why? Motherboard? BIOS?

My system is:
"Linux artifex 3.2.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Jul 23 02:45:17 UTC 2012
x86_64 GNU/Linux"

dmesg:
"[ 0.051573] CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
stepping 0a
[ 0.140066] Brought up 2 CPUs
[ 0.140068] Total of 2 processors activated (11970.46 BogoMIPS)."

vboxdrv related lines (what and why legacy support warning?):
"[ 55.378467] vboxdrv: Found 2 processor cores.
[ 55.378878] vboxdrv: fAsync=0 offMin=0x22e offMax=0xc57
[ 55.378926] vboxdrv: TSC mode is 'synchronous', kernel timer mode
is 'normal'.
[ 55.378928] vboxdrv: Successfully loaded version 4.1.18_Debian
(interface 0x00190000).
[ 55.452749] vboxpci: IOMMU not found (not registered)
[ 160.448576] warning: `VirtualBox' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy
support in use)"

Bye,

Old 08-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Sven Hartge

Artifex Maximus <artifexor@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:21:50 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:

>>> The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
>>> there any solution staying at the current CPU?
>>
>> Well, you can stil install a 32-bits guest OS but for 64-bits you
>> need a VT-x enabled micro, yes.

> OK, now a lovely little E8400 power my machine which is VT-x and VT-d
> capable.

Did you enable the support for those features inside the BIOS setup? If
not, they may be masked and unusable for Linux and VirtualBox.

If your BIOS does not support those options, you may need to upgrade to
a newer version. If no newer version is available from the vendor, you
may need a new mainboard, I'm afraid.

Gre,
Sven.

--