Old 08-22-2012, 04:49 PM
"David A. Marlin"

Default running livemedia-creator with 1GB

I am running on F17 and using:

anaconda-17.29-1.fc17
lorax-17.26-1.fc17

I was creating a test image using livemedia-creator on a resource
constrained system (only 1GB memory) and encountered an error.

"You have not specified a swap partition.
917 MB of memory is required to continue installation

without a swap partition, but you only have 898 MB."

But I have a large swap partition on the build system, and it is active.

I have successfully created images before, but this time I used a new
kickstart that did not include a 'swap' partition definition.

clearpart --all
part /boot --size 255 --fstype vfat --asprimary --label=boot
part / --size 2000 --fstype ext4 --label=rootfs

If I add a small swap partition in the kickstart, it works.

Is this the intended behavior? Is there a way to create a target image
that does not include a swap partition?

Thank you,

d.marlin

Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 AM
"Brian C. Lane"

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:49:50AM -0500, David A. Marlin wrote:

> I am running on F17 and using:
>
> anaconda-17.29-1.fc17
> lorax-17.26-1.fc17
>
> I was creating a test image using livemedia-creator on a resource
> constrained system (only 1GB memory) and encountered an error.
>
> "You have not specified a swap partition. 917 MB of memory is
> required to continue installation
> without a swap partition, but you only have 898 MB."
>
> But I have a large swap partition on the build system, and it is active.

This is referring to the target system, it doesn't use the host's
swapfile when calculating the amount of space.

> I have successfully created images before, but this time I used a
> new kickstart that did not include a 'swap' partition definition.
>
> clearpart --all
> part /boot --size 255 --fstype vfat --asprimary --label=boot
> part / --size 2000 --fstype ext4 --label=rootfs
>
> If I add a small swap partition in the kickstart, it works.
>
> Is this the intended behavior? Is there a way to create a target
> image that does not include a swap partition?

I'm assuming you are using --no-virt, right? This is a side-effect of
anaconda not normally being used directly on a buildhost. We might be
able to work around it, but really it is easier to just have a swapfile
in the kickstart, then it will be useful for virt or nonvirt methods.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 AM
"David A. Marlin"

Brian C. Lane wrote:

I was creating a test image using livemedia-creator on a resource
constrained system (only 1GB memory) and encountered an error.

"You have not specified a swap partition. 917 MB of memory is
required to continue installation
without a swap partition, but you only have 898 MB."

But I have a large swap partition on the build system, and it is active.

This is referring to the target system, it doesn't use the host's
swapfile when calculating the amount of space.

Interesting. So it uses the amount of RAM on the host in its
calculation, but not the swap on the host?

I have successfully created images before, but this time I used a
new kickstart that did not include a 'swap' partition definition.

clearpart --all
part /boot --size 255 --fstype vfat --asprimary --label=boot
part / --size 2000 --fstype ext4 --label=rootfs

If I add a small swap partition in the kickstart, it works.

Is this the intended behavior? Is there a way to create a target
image that does not include a swap partition?

I'm assuming you are using --no-virt, right?

Correct.

livemedia-creator
--make-disk --no-virt --image-only --keep-image
--armplatform=None
--ks=./F17-raspberrypi.ks

This is a side-effect of
anaconda not normally being used directly on a buildhost. We might be
able to work around it, but really it is easier to just have a swapfile
in the kickstart, then it will be useful for virt or nonvirt methods.

Understood. Ours is probably not a typical use-case. This particular
image is for the Raspberry Pi. We try to create a small rootfs image
that can be downloaded and copied to flash (small size is important,
typically ~1GB). On first boot we grow the / (root) partition to fill
the flash device (whatever its size) and set up a swap file (user
specified size) rather than create a dedicated swap partition. Adding a
swap partition of 500 MB adds 500MB to the image size to be downloaded
and copied to flash (~50% larger).

I guess if we ran this on a builder that had 2GB memory this would not
even be an issue. Either way, we can work around it.

Thank you for the explanation,

d.marlin
========

Old 08-23-2012, 10:59 PM
"Brian C. Lane"

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:38:47PM -0500, David A. Marlin wrote:

> Interesting. So it uses the amount of RAM on the host in its
> calculation, but not the swap on the host?

Correct, the disk it is using is a disk image, not the host's disk.

> Understood. Ours is probably not a typical use-case. This
> particular image is for the Raspberry Pi. We try to create a small
> rootfs image that can be downloaded and copied to flash (small size
> is important, typically ~1GB). On first boot we grow the / (root)
> partition to fill the flash device (whatever its size) and set up a
> swap file (user specified size) rather than create a dedicated swap
> partition. Adding a swap partition of 500 MB adds 500MB to the
> image size to be downloaded and copied to flash (~50% larger).
>
> I guess if we ran this on a builder that had 2GB memory this would
> not even be an issue. Either way, we can work around it.

Can you use a raw filesystem image, or does it need to be partitioned?
When the .iso is made it copies the / out of the partitioned image into
squashfs.img for use on the iso. I could do something like that, but
without the iso step.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:08 AM
"David A. Marlin"

Brian C. Lane wrote:

[...]

We don't actually create an iso image or squashfs.img. We use:

--make-disk --no-virt --image-only --keep-image

and use the disk image by copying it directly (partitions and all) to flash.

d.marlin
========