Old 08-22-2012, 05:26 AM
Andrei POPESCU

Default Joe's autoresponder finally turned off?

On Ma, 21 aug 12, 14:13:06, Bob Proulx wrote:

> The joe1assistly bad robot is one of the recipients. It then does
> this:
>
> sender -> mailing list -> many recipients, including newsgroups
> joe1assistly -> sender
>
> Mail from joe1assistly never hits the mailing list. There isn't
> anything the mailing list can do to block the return spam. The only
> thing that can be done is to find the recipient and unsubscribe them.
> However there was discussion on one of the Cygwin lists that perhaps
> due to the difficulty in locating a subscriber that perhaps
> joe1assistly was scraping the messages from a newsgroup and was
> therefore not subscribed. In which case it would be more difficult to
> defeat.
>
> The joe1assistly bad robot has been coming and going for some months
> now not just from the debian-user mailing list but also from some
> others such as the Cygwin lists too.

After studying the headers a bit more I wrote an e-mail to a specific
support@ address (which I will not reproduce here) and I even got an
answer

Supposedly the autoresponder is turned off now. Please reply to this if
you see more of those mails.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 08-22-2012, 05:30 AM
Bob Proulx

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> After studying the headers a bit more I wrote an e-mail to a specific
> support@ address (which I will not reproduce here) and I even got an
> answer

You are truly living a wondeful life to have gotten a response! :-)
I discussed it with the Debian listmasters but there was a lot of head
scratching all around.

> Supposedly the autoresponder is turned off now. Please reply to this if
> you see more of those mails.

I didn't get an autoreply from my recent postings. Thank you for
pursuing this further.

Hopefully we have seen the last of the joe1assistly bad robot!

Bob

Old 08-22-2012, 06:33 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 23:30 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > After studying the headers a bit more I wrote an e-mail to a specific
> > support@ address (which I will not reproduce here) and I even got an
> > answer
>
> You are truly living a wondeful life to have gotten a response! :-)
> I discussed it with the Debian listmasters but there was a lot of head
> scratching all around.
>
> > Supposedly the autoresponder is turned off now. Please reply to this if
> > you see more of those mails.
>
> I didn't get an autoreply from my recent postings. Thank you for
> pursuing this further.
>
> Hopefully we have seen the last of the joe1assistly bad robot!
>
> Bob

Until now I don't get anything from Joe to. Thank you for the good
job .

Regards,
Ralf

Old 08-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Dr Beco

From: Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 08:26:54 +0300

> Supposedly the autoresponder is turned off now. Please reply to this if
> you see more of those mails.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Hi Andrei, I share Bob Proulx's comment: " Thank you for
pursuing this further." [2]

Now this message is also a test. If you don't hear from me hear again,
that is a sign that you exterminated "joe1assistly bad robot"!

It looks like we got a new internet "meme"!

Cheers,
Beco

--
Dr. Beco
A.I. research, Cognitive Scientist and Philosopher

Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2012-08-22 at 10:02 -0300, Dr Beco wrote:
> From: Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 08:26:54 +0300
>
> > Supposedly the autoresponder is turned off now. Please reply to this if
> > you see more of those mails.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Andrei
>

> Hi Andrei, I share Bob Proulx's comment: " Thank you for
> pursuing this further." [2]
>
> Now this message is also a test. If you don't hear from me hear again,
> that is a sign that you exterminated "joe1assistly bad robot"!
>
> It looks like we got a new internet "meme"!
>
> Cheers,
> Beco

I already "abused" your (Beco's) thread to test it. No Joe anymore .

Too funny, somebody and I misbehaved and Joe became an issue for Beco's
thread, but in the end everything became good.

Morphic resonance, god, or simply human nature? I suspect "simply human
nature". Shit happens and we are able to manage such issues.