Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 PM
francis picabia

Default Redhat marketing campaign going after free Linuxes

Redhat marketing people have a video and PDF docs
to conclude based on IDC studies that RHEL is cheaper
than free Linux in the Enterprise.

There is a video on the right side with a summary
of their claims.

http://www.redhat.com/promo/standardize/

When I compare how long it takes to get the same samba bug fixed
(already fixed in upstream) in Debian and Redhat, Debian won by 7 months.

When I compare how much work I put into keeping two identical
postfix+amavis+clamav MX systems running, where one is
Debian and one is Redhat, Debian wins (Redhat doesn't
supply packages required, third party repos introduce
problems such as overwriting directory ownership on each update)

Obviously if someone is installing commercial software released
for Redhat it would be the best fit to install it there. Would any
Enterprise try to make commercial software work in free Linux
(the maintenance nightmare aside from getting it working)?

What do others experience or think about their claims?

Old 08-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:53:20 -0300, francis picabia wrote:

> Redhat marketing people have a video and PDF docs to conclude based on
> IDC studies that RHEL is cheaper than free Linux in the Enterprise.

It makes sense.

> There is a video on the right side with a summary of their claims.
>
> http://www.redhat.com/promo/standardize/

How cool :-)

> When I compare how long it takes to get the same samba bug fixed
> (already fixed in upstream) in Debian and Redhat, Debian won by 7
> months.
>
> When I compare how much work I put into keeping two identical
> postfix+amavis+clamav MX systems running, where one is Debian and one is
> Redhat, Debian wins (Redhat doesn't supply packages required, third
> party repos introduce problems such as overwriting directory ownership
> on each update)

There are always corner cases in every side.

> Obviously if someone is installing commercial software released for
> Redhat it would be the best fit to install it there. Would any
> Enterprise try to make commercial software work in free Linux (the
> maintenance nightmare aside from getting it working)?

IMO, that's in the end the real cost of choosing a linux distribution
with an enterprise in the backs. The initial setting up investment
(licenses, support, certified software and hardware...) is usually higher
but it gets amortized very soon, usually in the first years of its
deployment. Of course, every company has different needs and that's why
usually enterprises Linuxes (RedHat, Ubuntu, SLES) and community based
(CentOS, Ubuntu, openSUSE) are usually found "mixed" inside the same
company.

> What do others experience or think about their claims?

I only have direct experience with community based linux systems but at a
first glance their claims and numbers sound very reasonable.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-21-2012, 03:17 PM
shawn wilson

first, i love statistics - it allows people to say pretty much
whatever they want and sound honest and scientific about it.

i didn't read up on where those numbers came from, but lets assume
they are correct and honest. what they didn't give is the numbers if
an environment has all redhat boxes vs all debian or slackware or arch
or fbsd etc boxes. most places i've been at have either been pure
redhat, or mixed.

so, this begs the question, does having different distributions up the
cost of ownership? probably. should you stick with a certain system?
you can try, but if you buy software with a support contract and it
says that it'll only be supported on redhat and you run a debian shop,
you face some interesting choices.

otoh, is there any reason not to use rhel in a business? well, yes,
i'd use centos and get the best of both worlds in business. i've used
debian for 10+ years and know it quite well. some things could be
better (making sources.list more like yum.d for instance) but i know
the system way better than redhat. would i run a business on debian?
probably not. it is easier to find people that have worked with redhat
professionally, easier to find vendors who support their software on
redhat. and, if something goes wrong with my centos box, and need it
working no matter the cost, i can buy the rhel license for it, change
the repos and do the upgrade, call redhat, pay them, and have them fix
it. i don't know where i can do that with debian (and don't say
ubuntu).

Old 08-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Nate Bargmann

* On 2012 21 Aug 10:20 -0500, shawn wilson wrote:
> first, i love statistics - it allows people to say pretty much
> whatever they want and sound honest and scientific about it.

Yes, lies, damned lies, and statistics.

> some things could be
> better (making sources.list more like yum.d for instance)

How does yum.d differ from sources.list.d?

I see some third party packages dropping files with links to their own
repository in sources.list.d and managing their updates through the
Debian apt system. Seems quite sensible to me.

- Nate >>

Old 08-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Wilko Fokken

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:17:56AM -0400, shawn wilson wrote:
> first, i love statistics - it allows people to say pretty much
> whatever they want and sound honest and scientific about it.

Statistics are like bikinis:

What they unveil
is revealing,
but what they conceal