Old 08-21-2012, 11:56 AM
"Weaver"

Default New Mainboard.

Greetings all.

I have decided on buying one of these:

http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Detail/Processor/HDZ555WFGMBOX?SearchFacets=category%3AProcessor

and, as I am going to put it into one of these:

http://www.mittoni.com.au/lian-li-black-pca04-mini-tower-htpc-chassis-usb3-p-3948.html

I need recommendations on Micro-ATX boards that will work in with that
context.
It's a set-up that is going to last me a substantial number of years and I
really don't need half a dozen sata or PCI sockets.

One Primary IDE or Sata channel would be all I need.
I've got server space on the network.

I do deal with large graphics files and have as many as 11 virtual windows
open with as many as half a dozen apps open in each, when I'm working, so
I'm looking at least 8 GB of RAM, but that's about it.

Simple with punch, pretty much sums up requirement.

At the moment I'm looking at some of the Gigabyte boards, but very open to
suggestions.

What recommendations and what's the latest on this UEFI rubbish?

Grateful for any pointers.
Regards,

Weaver.
--
"I invite you to name a society that created a secret prison
system, outside the rule of law, where torture takes place,

Old 08-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 04:56:58 -0700, Weaver wrote:

> I have decided on buying one of these:
>
> http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Detail/Processor/HDZ555WFGMBOX?SearchFacets=category%3AProcessor
>
> and, as I am going to put it into one of these:
>
> http://www.mittoni.com.au/lian-li-black-pca04-mini-tower-htpc-chassis-usb3-p-3948.html
>
> I need recommendations on Micro-ATX boards that will work in with that
> context.

(...)

I'd look for either MSI or Gigabyte boards as both brands do high quality
products. And I would also choose a solution with integrated VGA (ATI)
to keep the case as clean and organized as possible with the less cables
and cooling fans as I can (less coolers, less dust :-P). Also, I would
look for a BIOS (non UEFI) product.

Gretings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Gaël DONVAL

Le mardi 21 août 2012 à 14:35 +0000, Camaleón a écrit :

> I'd look for either MSI or Gigabyte boards as both brands do high quality
> products. And I would also choose a solution with integrated VGA (ATI)
> to keep the case as clean and organized as possible with the less cables
> and cooling fans as I can (less coolers, less dust :-P). Also, I would
> look for a BIOS (non UEFI) product.

I agree on the brands. But I don't on the BIOS/UEFI advice. I hardly see
why not buying an UEFI motherboard. Secure boot and stuff like that are
optional and can be disabled on i386/amd64 systems. My brother has one
(Asus), a friend has one (MSI) and both of them are running Windows and
Debian/Ubuntu without a glitch (with GPT partitioning scheme BTW).

Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:49:59 +0200, Gaël DONVAL wrote:

> Le mardi 21 août 2012 à 14:35 +0000, Camaleón a écrit :
>
>> I'd look for either MSI or Gigabyte boards as both brands do high
>> quality products. And I would also choose a solution with integrated
>> VGA (ATI) to keep the case as clean and organized as possible with the
>> less cables and cooling fans as I can (less coolers, less dust :-P).
>> Also, I would look for a BIOS (non UEFI) product.
>
> I agree on the brands. But I don't on the BIOS/UEFI advice. I hardly see
> why not buying an UEFI motherboard.

Simply: because the BIOS provides a core functionality to the system and
has to work like a swiss clock and because UEFI is (still) a technology
too new to my liking.

> Secure boot and stuff like that are optional and can be disabled on
> i386/amd64 systems. My brother has one (Asus), a friend has one (MSI)
> and both of them are running Windows and Debian/Ubuntu without a glitch
> (with GPT partitioning scheme BTW).

Secure boot is not what bothers me (as you say, it can be disabled) but
how the current linux utilities are dealing with UEFI (partition tools,
boot loader, etc...). I prefer to wait until UEFI is more established in
the market.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Gaël DONVAL

Le mardi 21 août 2012 à 15:10 +0000, Camaleón a écrit :

> Simply: because the BIOS provides a core functionality to the system and
> has to work like a swiss clock and because UEFI is (still) a technology
> too new to my liking.
Right. I am still not of that opinion (EFI was there for years, UEFI
have been there for 7 years) but waiting for a broader adoption does
make sense.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Patrick Bartek

Go here: *http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/* *Select your requirements and see what comes up. *The database isn't complete, really, and requires multiple trials to get useful (or any) output, but it does get you "in the ballpark."

>It's a set-up that is going to last me a substantial number of years and I
>really don't need half a dozen sata or PCI sockets.
>
>One Primary IDE or Sata channel would be all I need.
>I've got server space on the network.

Whether IDE or SATA, you'll get at least two. *I myself prefer, for future expansion purposes, to have a 4 internal physical device option minimum. *

>I do deal with large graphics files and have as many as 11 virtual windows
>open with as many as half a dozen apps open in each, when I'm working, so
>I'm looking at least 8 GB of RAM, but that's about it.

It is rare that you'll find a micro-ATX board with more than 2 RAM slots due limited physical space. *If possible, for future expansion, since you plan to use this box a long time, I would try to find a MB that accepts up to 16GB RAM. *32 would be better. Every new release or OS upgrade requires more and more RAM as do the apps. *On this box which is 6 years old, I've gone from 2GB to 4 to 8 in that time. *From your use requirements, I consider 8GB a useful minimum. *I'm a commercial photographer (mostly), shoot mostly RAW images, which can be upwards of 20 to 30MB each and batch process hundreds of images at a time and only hit the swap very lightly. *I plan, in the near future, to increase to 16, the max the board will take. *

>What recommendations and what's the latest on this UEFI rubbish?

Read this (and other articles about it), particular the Criticism at the bottom, and make your own decision:

* *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface

I currently avoid it, if I can.

B *

Old 08-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Doug

On 08/21/2012 10:35 AM, Camaleón wrote:

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 04:56:58 -0700, Weaver wrote:

I have decided on buying one of these:

http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Detail/Processor/HDZ555WFGMBOX?SearchFacets=category%3AProcessor

and, as I am going to put it into one of these:

http://www.mittoni.com.au/lian-li-black-pca04-mini-tower-htpc-chassis-usb3-p-3948.html

I need recommendations on Micro-ATX boards that will work in with that
context.

(...)

I'd look for either MSI or Gigabyte boards as both brands do high quality
products. And I would also choose a solution with integrated VGA (ATI)
to keep the case as clean and organized as possible with the less cables
and cooling fans as I can (less coolers, less dust :-P). Also, I would
look for a BIOS (non UEFI) product.

Gretings,

Depending on what you may ultimately want to do with the board, you might
want to have the capability of using a plug-in video card.

This machine has a Foxconn board in it. I thought that this was a low-end
board--and maybe it is, altho it works OK--but Foxconn makes the mobos
that are in Apple computers. I have also used Gigabyte with good results.

I agree with the non-UEFI suggestion. Why look for trouble?

--doug

Archive: 5033D78A.2000701@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/5033D78A.2000701@optonline.net

Old 08-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Dan

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Gaël DONVAL <gael.donval@cnrs-imn.fr> wrote:
> Le mardi 21 août 2012 à 14:35 +0000, Camaleón a écrit :
>
>> I'd look for either MSI or Gigabyte boards as both brands do high quality
>> products. And I would also choose a solution with integrated VGA (ATI)
>> to keep the case as clean and organized as possible with the less cables
>> and cooling fans as I can (less coolers, less dust :-P). Also, I would
>> look for a BIOS (non UEFI) product.
>
> I agree on the brands. But I don't on the BIOS/UEFI advice. I hardly see
> why not buying an UEFI motherboard. Secure boot and stuff like that are
> optional and can be disabled on i386/amd64 systems. My brother has one
> (Asus), a friend has one (MSI) and both of them are running Windows and
> Debian/Ubuntu without a glitch (with GPT partitioning scheme BTW).

They had to use any of the tricks posted in the net to install Debian
in a UEFI computer? Like this one?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 PM
"Weaver"

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 04:56:58 -0700, Weaver wrote:
>
>> I have decided on buying one of these:
>>
>> http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Detail/Processor/HDZ555WFGMBOX?SearchFacets=category%3AProcessor
>>
>> and, as I am going to put it into one of these:
>>
>> http://www.mittoni.com.au/lian-li-black-pca04-mini-tower-htpc-chassis-usb3-p-3948.html
>>
>> I need recommendations on Micro-ATX boards that will work in with that
>> context.
>
> (...)
>
> I'd look for either MSI or Gigabyte boards as both brands do high quality
> products. And I would also choose a solution with integrated VGA (ATI)
> to keep the case as clean and organized as possible with the less cables
> and cooling fans as I can (less coolers, less dust :-P). Also, I would
> look for a BIOS (non UEFI) product.

Yes.
This last I have been trying to do, but the large manufacturers seem to be
somewhat shy about listing what BIOS is available on each board these
days.
I usually go for ASUS, but their site is a nightmare to navigate, compared
to how it used to be.
Regards,

Weaver.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:57 PM
"Weaver"

> Le mardi 21 août 2012 à 14:35 +0000, Camaleón a écrit :
>
>> I'd look for either MSI or Gigabyte boards as both brands do high
>> quality
>> products. And I would also choose a solution with integrated VGA (ATI)
>> to keep the case as clean and organized as possible with the less cables
>> and cooling fans as I can (less coolers, less dust :-P). Also, I would
>> look for a BIOS (non UEFI) product.
>
> I agree on the brands. But I don't on the BIOS/UEFI advice. I hardly see
> why not buying an UEFI motherboard. Secure boot and stuff like that are
> optional and can be disabled on i386/amd64 systems. My brother has one
> (Asus), a friend has one (MSI) and both of them are running Windows and
> Debian/Ubuntu without a glitch (with GPT partitioning scheme BTW).

Right, so there seems to have been some flexibility introduced into the
political department.
At one stage, there was no disabling potential as I recall reading on the
subject.
Regards,

Weaver.