Old 08-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Lisi

Default Problems with printing/scanning on Squeeze on a Lexmark aio

Hello, all!

This is a cross-post. I posted to the Trinity list several days ago. It
transpires that it is not a Trinity problem, so I am asking here. After a
few days, if necessary, I shall go to the CUPS list.

I have had the following cris de coeur from the user of a computer that I
administer. "The old system" means Debian Lenny with KDE 3.5.10, which is
still there on a separate partition and can be booted into from Grub.

I had previously successfully installed Debian Squeeze with Trinity 3.5.12 on
his wife's laptop without a problem, and it is running well, including
printing and scanning. The installation for the wife was from scratch and
there was nothing to restore. The husband had a lot to restore.

The printer and scanner form part of an aio, a Lexmark Interact C605.

The initial problem with the printer was that when I came to install it on a
64 bit system (Lenny had been 32 bit) I found that the driver was only
available in a 32 bit version. I found a 64 bit driver - not on Lexmark's
site, of course :-( - and all seemed to be well. The story carries on below
in emails from the owner of the machines. I am baffled as to how a driver
can work one minute and not the next. :-( I do hope that I haven't managed
to install some sort of malware masquerading as a driver.

12/08/07 (yy/mm/dd)
<quote>
We still have some snags with the new system I'm afraid.

1)The scanner will not work although it still does in the old system so
I know the scanner is working OK.

2)The printer works from e-mail OK except that it will not print
attachments which are in PDF although I can read them aok.
</quote>

12/08/16
<quote>
The printer which was working aok in the new system (apart from pdf
format)has now ceased to function completely again although it is
working still in the old system.
</quote>

His wife can still print from her laptop.

I had expected to find that the problem with the scanner was a matter of
groups and permissions, but it would appear not; or anyhow, not entirely.

Any suggestions for solutions, other than reinstall with 32 bit and Trinity
3.5.12, gratefully received. Though this is beginning to look like the only
viable solution.

I ought, of course, to have checked, before I abandoned 32 bit, that all the
necessary drivers were available in 64 bit. :-(

Thanks,
Lisi

Old 08-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Chris Bannister

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 08:42:16AM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> Hello, all!
>
> This is a cross-post. I posted to the Trinity list several days ago. It

In that case its more correctly referred as a multipost. A crosspost is
when you cc/to more than one list/group simultaneously.

Just to be picky.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Lisi

On Wednesday 22 August 2012 03:01:31 Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 08:42:16AM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> > This is a cross-post. *I posted to the Trinity list several days ago. *It
>
> In that case its more correctly referred as a multipost. A crosspost is
> when you cc/to more than one list/group simultaneously.
>
> Just to be picky.

Noted! :-)

Lisi