-   -   Fwd: OT: man in the middle attack ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/696193-fwd-ot-man-middle-attack.html)

Lisi 08-21-2012 07:33 AM

Fwd: OT: man in the middle attack ?

On Tuesday 21 August 2012 08:20:15 Chris wrote:
> Anyone else getting this?

Yes. I understood that quoting Spam confuses the filters.

Lisi

Lisi 08-21-2012 07:35 AM

On Tuesday 21 August 2012 08:28:57 lina wrote:
> On Tuesday 21,August,2012 03:20 PM, Chris wrote:
> > Anyone else getting this?
>
> I got one before.
>
> > Sent from my HTC.

Oh dear! Now someone else has quoted it.

Lisi

Ralf Mardorf 08-21-2012 07:43 AM

On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 08:33 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 August 2012 08:20:15 Chris wrote:
> > Anyone else getting this?
>
> Yes. I understood that quoting Spam confuses the filters.
>
> Lisi

In this case it doesn't matter, we even could reply to Joe. Joe is
immortal. The complete list was silent when getting mails from Joe for a
very long time, but it anyway didn't help. Don't worry about quoting!
Everybody with a workflow that does allow to ban Joe by the used MUA,
should ban Joe. Joe doesn't have a bad day, something we would be able
to forgive, it's just spam.

Joe doesn't annoy me, but it's not pleasant to read that Joe still
annoys some people. IMO this address should be banned.

Bob Proulx 08-21-2012 08:13 PM

Lisi wrote:
> lina wrote:
> > Chris wrote:
> > > Anyone else getting this?
> > I got one before.
> > > From: "debian-user" <joe1assistly@gmail.com>
>
> Oh dear! Now someone else has quoted it.

This isn't spam to the mailing list. This is spam from a subscriber
to the original posters. So it doesn't matter if you quote it or
not. It won't affect the mailing list spam filters. Although it may
affect individual's spam filters. However anyone wanting to block the
joe1assistly bad robot messages can do so more accurately using the
message-id headers.

Normal mailing list mail goes like this:

sender -> mailing list -> many recipients, including newsgroups

The joe1assistly bad robot is one of the recipients. It then does
this:

sender -> mailing list -> many recipients, including newsgroups
joe1assistly -> sender

Mail from joe1assistly never hits the mailing list. There isn't
anything the mailing list can do to block the return spam. The only
thing that can be done is to find the recipient and unsubscribe them.
However there was discussion on one of the Cygwin lists that perhaps
due to the difficulty in locating a subscriber that perhaps
joe1assistly was scraping the messages from a newsgroup and was
therefore not subscribed. In which case it would be more difficult to
defeat.

The joe1assistly bad robot has been coming and going for some months
now not just from the debian-user mailing list but also from some
others such as the Cygwin lists too.

Bob

Ralf Mardorf 08-22-2012 06:22 AM

On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 14:13 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Lisi wrote:
> > lina wrote:
> > > I got one before.
> >
> > Oh dear! Now someone else has quoted it.
>
> This isn't spam to the mailing list. This is spam from a subscriber
> to the original posters. So it doesn't matter if you quote it or
> not. It won't affect the mailing list spam filters. Although it may
> affect individual's spam filters. However anyone wanting to block the
> joe1assistly bad robot messages can do so more accurately using the
> message-id headers.
>
> Normal mailing list mail goes like this:
>
> sender -> mailing list -> many recipients, including newsgroups
>
> The joe1assistly bad robot is one of the recipients. It then does
> this:
>
> sender -> mailing list -> many recipients, including newsgroups
> joe1assistly -> sender
>
> Mail from joe1assistly never hits the mailing list. There isn't
> anything the mailing list can do to block the return spam. The only
> thing that can be done is to find the recipient and unsubscribe them.
> However there was discussion on one of the Cygwin lists that perhaps
> due to the difficulty in locating a subscriber that perhaps
> joe1assistly was scraping the messages from a newsgroup and was
> therefore not subscribed. In which case it would be more difficult to
> defeat.
>
> The joe1assistly bad robot has been coming and going for some months
> now not just from the debian-user mailing list but also from some
> others such as the Cygwin lists too.
>
> Bob

Thank you for the explanation Bob.