Old 08-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default OT: man in the middle attack ?

On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 10:23 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 10:59 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > I'm quite sure it's a misconfigured autoresponder
>
> I'm quiet sure that you're right . So replying Joe should have a
> positive effect, but it doesn't. Joe doesn't take care about incoming
> mails ;p.

Seriously, somebody misconfigured an autoresponser and after that this
person died. Shit happens all the time.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

On Ter, 21 Ago 2012, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

I used sarcasm, but using sarcasm is bad behavior. And I'm not proud
when I misbehave.

The problem is that it is not the first time you "misbehave". Nor the
second, or even third. Not to mention the times where you don't
actually say anything particularly offensive, but use this list as a
personal space to rant about anything you don't like.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Archive: 20120821100833.Horde.DTrzJ0isJlFQM4hRj7rn2cA@mail. kalinowski.com.br">http://lists.debian.org/20120821100833.Horde.DTrzJ0isJlFQM4hRj7rn2cA@mail. kalinowski.com.br

Old 08-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Dr Beco

> From: Keith McKenzie km3952
> On 21 August 2012 07:54, Lisi lisi.reisz wrote:
> >
> > Self-agrandisement is almost a duty in some cultures. In others it is very
> > much frowned on.
> >
> > Lisi
> >

> Wow! - I wonder how many (international) people are going to
> understand that. :-)

I did not. Actually, from my point of view, one would write:

"To share your interests is almost a duty in some cultures. In others
it is considered self-agrandisement and is very
much frowned on."

Point-of-view matters.

My best,
Beco

--
Dr. Beco
A.I. research, Cognitive Scientist and Philosopher

Old 08-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 21 August 2012 15:44:53 Dr Beco wrote:
> "To share your interests is almost a duty in some cultures. *In others
> it is considered self-agrandisement and is very
> much frowned on."

Except that was very much not what I meant! I wasn't talking about interests.
I accept that it may be what you mean, but it is not what I meant. And you
clearly understood.

Lisi

Old 08-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Stephen Allen

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:08:33AM -0300, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> On Ter, 21 Ago 2012, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >I used sarcasm, but using sarcasm is bad behavior. And I'm not proud
> >when I misbehave.
>
> The problem is that it is not the first time you "misbehave". Nor
> the second, or even third. Not to mention the times where you don't
> actually say anything particularly offensive, but use this list as a
> personal space to rant about anything you don't like.

+100 I'm a lurker mostly but have been here a long time; your assessment
seems quite accurate from where I sit.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 15:07 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
> And... Debian is notorious for mistreating newcomers! I have had a
> friend swear to never ask a question on Debian forums again, after the
> reply to his first question.

I agree that Linux communities are notorious for mistreating one member
by another member. Debian and Ubuntu mailing lists are the less rough
Linux communities I know. It's much harder on other Linux lists. I never
noticed censorship or a few people that claim to speak for most people
on Debian and Ubuntu lists. Forums usually are less good than mailing
lists.

YMMV,
Ralf

Old 10-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Panayiotis Karabassis

On 10/05/2012 11:56 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 15:07 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
>> And... Debian is notorious for mistreating newcomers! I have had a
>> friend swear to never ask a question on Debian forums again, after the
>> reply to his first question.
>
> I agree that Linux communities are notorious for mistreating one member
> by another member. Debian and Ubuntu mailing lists are the less rough
> Linux communities I know. It's much harder on other Linux lists. I never
> noticed censorship or a few people that claim to speak for most people
> on Debian and Ubuntu lists. Forums usually are less good than mailing
> lists.

Yes, sure. I am not sure how this fits with the rest of the gnu/linux
"ideology", which is about freedom and community. I think the problem is
exacerbated by the nature of internet communication, where it is both
easier to be rude, and easier to misunderstand and be offended by the
tone of another's message. Imho, many of the "rude" people would be
quite gentle and timid, if you met them in person.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Joe

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 19:12:08 +0300
Panayiotis Karabassis <panayk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, sure. I am not sure how this fits with the rest of the gnu/linux
> "ideology", which is about freedom and community. I think the problem
> is exacerbated by the nature of internet communication, where it is
> both easier to be rude, and easier to misunderstand and be offended
> by the tone of another's message. Imho, many of the "rude" people
> would be quite gentle and timid, if you met them in person.

By the nature of Linux, people who use it regularly are accustomed to
using the Net to find solutions to their many problems. There is
therefore a tendency to be a bit terse with someone who asks for help
with a problem but has clearly not made the slightest effort to solve it
himself.

And when a student tries to get others to do his homework...

There's no excuse for real rudeness, but the prospect of being told
rather brusquely that the solution to the problem is the fourth entry
of the first results page of an obvious Google search does encourage a
bit of self-reliance, one of the most important personality traits of
a successful Linux user.

Sadly, there are also some very entrenched opinions about certain
matters, but this is no more common with Linux people than Windows
people, nor indeed than political or religious partisans. There is a
lot less tolerance on the Net for technical or other bigotry than there
used to be.

And finally, there are a few people who are just plain prickly... but
one of the most important of all freedoms is the freedom to offend.
Once that is outlawed, censorship becomes trivial to implement.

--
Joe

Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Neal Murphy

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 03:14:23 PM Joe wrote:

> And finally, there are a few people who are just plain prickly... but
> one of the most important of all freedoms is the freedom to offend.

As is the freedom to choose to brush off offenses--be they real or perceived--
or to take them personally. I'm sure Miss Manners has waxed eloquently on the
topic more than once.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 19:12 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
> Imho, many of the "rude" people would be
> quite gentle and timid, if you met them in person.

Perhaps