Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/696131-my-processor-32-bit-64-bit.html)

Stephen Powell 08-21-2012 01:46 AM

Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?
 
Several years ago a friend, who owns his own business, gave me one of his
old servers because he knows that computers are my hobby. It's been
sitting around my basement since then, but it has finally worked its way
to the top of my "to do" list. I just fired it up for the first time
yesterday. Basically, I am trying to determine if this is a 64-bit-
capable machine or not, and I can't tell. Here's what the BIOS setup
program reports for the CPU:

Boot Strap Processor
Installed Speed: 2.40 GHz
Socket Name: BSP
Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
Version: Intel(R) Xeon(TM)
CPUID: 0F27
L2 Cache: 512 KB

I consulted Wikipedia's web page on Intel Processors
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_microprocessors),
but was unable to find a processor in the list which met
all the criteria (Xeon in the name, speed, and L2 cache).

The machine has a Phoenix BIOS, version 1.28, dated 05/22/2003.
That may help narrow things down. (For example, it is unlikely
that a processor introduced in 2008 would be given a BIOS dated
in 2003.) Any ideas? Oh, one other thing. Hyper-Threading was
enabled in the BIOS, suggesting that, as viewed by an operating
system, the machine has at least two CPUs. But that may not be
100% reliable. The machine has 1 GB of RAM installed. (Two
512M SIMMs and 2 empty SIMM slots.)

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1377377155.557358.1345513590091.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/1377377155.557358.1345513590091.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com

Yang Chengwei 08-21-2012 01:50 AM

Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?
 
Find out if long-mode is supported by you CPU, for example.
$ grep -o lm /proc/cpuinfo

--
Thanks,
Chengwei

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 09:46:30PM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> Several years ago a friend, who owns his own business, gave me one of his
> old servers because he knows that computers are my hobby. It's been
> sitting around my basement since then, but it has finally worked its way
> to the top of my "to do" list. I just fired it up for the first time
> yesterday. Basically, I am trying to determine if this is a 64-bit-
> capable machine or not, and I can't tell. Here's what the BIOS setup
> program reports for the CPU:
>
> Boot Strap Processor
> Installed Speed: 2.40 GHz
> Socket Name: BSP
> Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
> Version: Intel(R) Xeon(TM)
> CPUID: 0F27
> L2 Cache: 512 KB
>
> I consulted Wikipedia's web page on Intel Processors
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_microprocessors),
> but was unable to find a processor in the list which met
> all the criteria (Xeon in the name, speed, and L2 cache).
>
> The machine has a Phoenix BIOS, version 1.28, dated 05/22/2003.
> That may help narrow things down. (For example, it is unlikely
> that a processor introduced in 2008 would be given a BIOS dated
> in 2003.) Any ideas? Oh, one other thing. Hyper-Threading was
> enabled in the BIOS, suggesting that, as viewed by an operating
> system, the machine has at least two CPUs. But that may not be
> 100% reliable. The machine has 1 GB of RAM installed. (Two
> 512M SIMMs and 2 empty SIMM slots.)
>
> --
> .'`. Stephen Powell
> : :' :
> `. `'`
> `-
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1377377155.557358.1345513590091.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com

Stephen Powell 08-21-2012 01:55 AM

Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?
 
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:50:32 -0400 (EDT), Yang Chengwei wrote:
>
> Find out if long-mode is supported by you CPU, for example.
> $ grep -o lm /proc/cpuinfo

I don't have Linux installed yet. (I'm trying to determine if
I want to install the i386 or amd64 port.)

Windows Server 2003 is installed, but I don't know a valid
userid/password combination to log in. All I can access right
now is the BIOS setup program.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1007445951.557457.1345514106953.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/1007445951.557457.1345514106953.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com

Yang Chengwei 08-21-2012 01:59 AM

Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?
 
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 09:55:06PM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:50:32 -0400 (EDT), Yang Chengwei wrote:
> >
> > Find out if long-mode is supported by you CPU, for example.
> > $ grep -o lm /proc/cpuinfo
>
> I don't have Linux installed yet. (I'm trying to determine if
> I want to install the i386 or amd64 port.)
>
> Windows Server 2003 is installed, but I don't know a valid
> userid/password combination to log in. All I can access right
> now is the BIOS setup program.

I never tried to figure out that in BOIS, I think a Linux livecd or
liveusb may help.

--
Thanks,
Chengwei

>
> --
> .'`. Stephen Powell
> : :' :
> `. `'`
> `-
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1007445951.557457.1345514106953.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com

Gary Kline 08-21-2012 01:59 AM

Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?
 
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 09:55:06PM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:55:06 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
> Subject: Re: Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> X-Mailer: Zimbra 6.0.5_GA_2328.RHEL5_64 (zclient/6.0.5_GA_2328.RHEL5_64)
>
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:50:32 -0400 (EDT), Yang Chengwei wrote:
> >
> > Find out if long-mode is supported by you CPU, for example.
> > $ grep -o lm /proc/cpuinfo
>
> I don't have Linux installed yet. (I'm trying to determine if
> I want to install the i386 or amd64 port.)
>
> Windows Server 2003 is installed, but I don't know a valid
> userid/password combination to log in. All I can access right
> now is the BIOS setup program.
>
> --
> .'`. Stephen Powell
> : :' :
> `. `'`
> `-
>

The odds are that it's a 32-bit box.

gary kline

>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1007445951.557457.1345514106953.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com
>

--
Gary Kline kline@thought.org http://www.thought.org Public Service Unix
Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120821015928.GA22176@thought.org">http://lists.debian.org/20120821015928.GA22176@thought.org

eqisow 08-21-2012 02:03 AM

Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?
 
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:50:32 -0400 (EDT), Yang Chengwei wrote:
>>
>> Find out if long-mode is supported by you CPU, for example.
>> $ grep -o lm /proc/cpuinfo
>
> I don't have Linux installed yet. (I'm trying to determine if
> I want to install the i386 or amd64 port.)
>
> Windows Server 2003 is installed, but I don't know a valid
> userid/password combination to log in. All I can access right
> now is the BIOS setup program.
>
> --
> .'`. Stephen Powell
> : :' :
> `. `'`
> `-
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1007445951.557457.1345514106953.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com
>

Well I can tell you that with <4 GB of RAM you should probably just
stick to 32 bit regardless. Although, you could also just try to
install the 64 bit version and see if it works.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAGH_xN2R-JORbX-Vj_hVF+Cz7Utusz7rJwo2qqy-qtXqu5AVSw@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAGH_xN2R-JORbX-Vj_hVF+Cz7Utusz7rJwo2qqy-qtXqu5AVSw@mail.gmail.com

John Hasler 08-21-2012 02:15 AM

Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?
 
Stephen Powell writes:
> Boot Strap Processor
> Installed Speed: 2.40 GHz
> Socket Name: BSP
> Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
> Version: Intel(R) Xeon(TM)
> CPUID: 0F27
> L2 Cache: 512 KB

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon#Prestonia>
<http://www.manualowl.com/m/Intel/SE7501CW2/Manual/247398?page=41>
--
John Hasler


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87txvxkn1s.fsf@thumper.dhh.gt.org">http://lists.debian.org/87txvxkn1s.fsf@thumper.dhh.gt.org

green 08-21-2012 02:22 AM

Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?
 
Stephen Powell wrote at 2012-08-20 20:46 -0500:
> Basically, I am trying to determine if this is a 64-bit-
> capable machine or not, and I can't tell.

I suggest you get a grml96 image. The smallest is 300MB and supports booting
in both 32- and 64-bit modes, selected at boot (or grml-small for only one of
32 or 64 is 150MB). Try the 64-bit mode. And having a grml CD or USB stick
around is helpful in lots of situations like this.

Stan Hoeppner 08-21-2012 08:18 AM

Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?
 
On 8/20/2012 9:15 PM, John Hasler wrote:
> Stephen Powell writes:
>> Boot Strap Processor
>> Installed Speed: 2.40 GHz
>> Socket Name: BSP
>> Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
>> Version: Intel(R) Xeon(TM)
>> CPUID: 0F27
>> L2 Cache: 512 KB
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon#Prestonia>
> <http://www.manualowl.com/m/Intel/SE7501CW2/Manual/247398?page=41>

Yep. CPUID 0F27 makes this CPU a Prestonia Xeon, 130nm, in essence a
Northwood P4, the only difference being the model#, CPUID, and branding.
Intel introduced EM64T (x86-64) with the 90nm chips.

This CPU is 32bit x86 only.

--
Stan



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 5033446C.6060507@hardwarefreak.com">http://lists.debian.org/5033446C.6060507@hardwarefreak.com

Camaleón 08-21-2012 02:07 PM

Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?
 
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:46:30 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> Several years ago a friend, who owns his own business, gave me one of
> his old servers because he knows that computers are my hobby. It's been
> sitting around my basement since then, but it has finally worked its way
> to the top of my "to do" list. I just fired it up for the first time
> yesterday. Basically, I am trying to determine if this is a 64-bit-
> capable machine or not, and I can't tell. Here's what the BIOS setup
> program reports for the CPU:
>
> Boot Strap Processor
> Installed Speed: 2.40 GHz
> Socket Name: BSP
> Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
> Version: Intel(R) Xeon(TM)
> CPUID: 0F27
> L2 Cache: 512 KB

Mmm... it seems a legacy Xeon :-?

> I consulted Wikipedia's web page on Intel Processors
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_microprocessors), but was
> unable to find a processor in the list which met all the criteria (Xeon
> in the name, speed, and L2 cache).

Intel has a very good and comprehensive site to find their micros:

http://ark.intel.com/#server

The "key" here is the clock speed, rated at 2.40 GHz (hope that value is
for real) and there are a bunch of models listed there:

http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced/?s=t&FamilyText=Legacy%20Intel%C2%AE%20Xeon%C2%AE% 20Processor&ClockSpeed=2.4%20GHz

All look like 32-bits capable.

> The machine has a Phoenix BIOS, version 1.28, dated 05/22/2003. That may
> help narrow things down. (For example, it is unlikely that a processor
> introduced in 2008 would be given a BIOS dated in 2003.) Any ideas?
> Oh, one other thing. Hyper-Threading was enabled in the BIOS,
> suggesting that, as viewed by an operating system, the machine has at
> least two CPUs. But that may not be 100% reliable. The machine has 1
> GB of RAM installed. (Two 512M SIMMs and 2 empty SIMM slots.)

A quick test you can try is loading a 64-bits LiveCD, it will tell you in
minutes ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/k104mh$agf$5@ger.gmane.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:08 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.