Old 08-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Default Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?

On 8/28/2012 2:01 PM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hi Stan,
>
> Am Montag, 27. August 2012 schrieb Stan Hoeppner:

>> For a desktop user workload, there will be no noticeable performance
>> difference, because such applications don't do parallel IO.
>
> Are you sure about 1) desktop applications I/O behavior and 2) NCQ?
>
> 1) I see noticeable difference for my Intel SSD 320 with different iodepth
> values in fio job.

Shall we now split hairs, and have a 500 post discussion WRT the
definition of "desktop user workload"?

If you consider fio, iozone, bonnie++ etc to be part of a typical
"desktop user workload" then you're simply out of touch with the real
world Martin.

Do you have a father/mother brother/sister wife/children? Do any of
them run fio on a regular basis? These people represent the typical
"desktop user workload". Sysadmins, devs, power users, do not.

--
Stan

Old 08-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Stan Hoeppner

On 8/28/2012 3:11 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 09:48:27 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> What I meant was that I may buy the new mobo, processor, and RAM
>> that you suggested and put it in this second machine I'm talking about.
>
> Well, I've looked into it, and that's not going to work. The mobo
> you suggested has stuff on it for which there are no connector holes
> on the back of the case.

Stephen, most PC IO plates are removable, have been for well over 15
years. Once you remove the motherboard you simply stick your thumb on
the interior side of the IO panel and pop it out the back. New mobos
come with their own panel. They just pop in. They friction fit, having
little nubs the size of a pin head, usually 2 on each side. You install
it gently, pushing only on the outside edges until all the nubs have
snapped in. Push in the middle and you may destroy it. they're pretty
flimsy.

--
Stan

Old 08-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Mittwoch, 29. August 2012 schrieb Stan Hoeppner:
> On 8/28/2012 2:01 PM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hi Stan,
> >
> > Am Montag, 27. August 2012 schrieb Stan Hoeppner:
> >> For a desktop user workload, there will be no noticeable performance
> >> difference, because such applications don't do parallel IO.
> >
> > Are you sure about 1) desktop applications I/O behavior and 2) NCQ?
> >
> > 1) I see noticeable difference for my Intel SSD 320 with different
> > iodepth values in fio job.
>
> Shall we now split hairs, and have a 500 post discussion WRT the
> definition of "desktop user workload"?
>
> If you consider fio, iozone, bonnie++ etc to be part of a typical
> "desktop user workload" then you're simply out of touch with the real
> world Martin.
>
> Do you have a father/mother brother/sister wife/children? Do any of
> them run fio on a regular basis? These people represent the typical
> "desktop user workload". Sysadmins, devs, power users, do not.

While a typical desktop workload may not induce anything near an IO depth
of 64, I still think several desktop applications accessing the disk at
once can have the Linux kernel block layer use an iodepth > 1 on the disk.
So maybe testing with I/O depth upto 10 or so make sense even for desktop
workloads.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Stephen Powell

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:35:36 -0400 (EDT), Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Stephen, most PC IO plates are removable, have been for well over 15
> years. Once you remove the motherboard you simply stick your thumb on
> the interior side of the IO panel and pop it out the back. New mobos
> come with their own panel. They just pop in. They friction fit, having
> little nubs the size of a pin head, usually 2 on each side. You install
> it gently, pushing only on the outside edges until all the nubs have
> snapped in. Push in the middle and you may destroy it. they're pretty
> flimsy.

That's good to know. Thanks.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell