Old 08-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Mika Suomalainen

Default Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?

Old 08-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Mika Suomalainen

Old 08-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Dr Beco

> From: green - greenfreedom
> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:22:43 -0500
>
> I suggest you get a grml96 image. The smallest is 300MB and supports booting
> in both 32- and 64-bit modes, selected at boot (or grml-small for only one of
> 32 or 64 is 150MB). Try the 64-bit mode. And having a grml CD or USB stick
> around is helpful in lots of situations like this.

Dear Green,

That was a nice tip. I didn't know this distro. Im keeping a USB stick
with me from now on.

Thanks.
Beco

--
Dr. Beco
A.I. research, Cognitive Scientist and Philosopher

Old 08-22-2012, 02:04 AM
Stephen Powell

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 04:18:52 -0400 (EDT), Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Yep. CPUID 0F27 makes this CPU a Prestonia Xeon, 130nm, in essence a
> Northwood P4, the only difference being the model#, CPUID, and branding.
> Intel introduced EM64T (x86-64) with the 90nm chips.
>
> This CPU is 32bit x86 only.

Stan, Stan, the hardware man! I knew you'd know! Where did you find
the information that correlates CPUIDs with processor characteristics?
I don't suppose you'd have a URL handy, now would you? Next time, I can
check myself and not have to bother the list.

Thanks to all who responded.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Stan Hoeppner

On 8/21/2012 9:04 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 04:18:52 -0400 (EDT), Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>
>> Yep. CPUID 0F27 makes this CPU a Prestonia Xeon, 130nm, in essence a
>> Northwood P4, the only difference being the model#, CPUID, and branding.
>> Intel introduced EM64T (x86-64) with the 90nm chips.
>>
>> This CPU is 32bit x86 only.
>
> Stan, Stan, the hardware man! I knew you'd know! Where did you find
> the information that correlates CPUIDs with processor characteristics?

Simplicity. Google "CPUID 0F27". First hit is:
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL6YH.html

That tells us 0F27 is the Northwood core.

> I don't suppose you'd have a URL handy, now would you? Next time, I can
> check myself and not have to bother the list.

Once we have the above info, Wikipedia tells us the Northwood chips were
all 130nm, and that EM64T wasn't introduced until the 90nm series. The
2.4GHz/512KB/400MHz Prestonia CPUID 0F27 was released in April 2002.
Nacona (90nm) with EM64T was introduced over two years later, in June 2004.

--
Stan

Old 08-23-2012, 02:37 AM
Stephen Powell

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 04:41:26 -0400 (EDT), Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 8/21/2012 9:04 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> Stan, Stan, the hardware man! I knew you'd know! Where did you find
>> the information that correlates CPUIDs with processor characteristics?
>
> Simplicity. Google "CPUID 0F27". First hit is:
> http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL6YH.html
>
> That tells us 0F27 is the Northwood core.
>>
>> I don't suppose you'd have a URL handy, now would you? Next time, I can
>> check myself and not have to bother the list.
>
> Once we have the above info, Wikipedia tells us the Northwood chips were
> all 130nm, and that EM64T wasn't introduced until the 90nm series. The
> 2.4GHz/512KB/400MHz Prestonia CPUID 0F27 was released in April 2002.
> Nacona (90nm) with EM64T was introduced over two years later, in June 2004.

Hmm. Well, it appears that CPUIDs are not unique. I've done some more
research, and it appears that CPUID is just one more piece of evidence,
which must be considered along with all the other known characteristics,
in order to figure out what one has. One other piece of evidence that I
needed, but did not tell the list, is that the chipset is the Intel 7500
chipset, which means that the effective bus speed is 400 MHz. (The actual
bus speed is 100 MHz, but the processor operates at Quad bus speed, making
the effective bus speed 400 MHz.) The CPU World web site which you pointed
me to was very helpful though. After some more research, I believe that
this is the right web page (watch out for a wrapped URL):

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon%202.4%20GHz%20-%20RN80532KC056512%20%28BX80532KC2400D%20-%20BX80532KC2400DU%29.html

The CPUID of 0F27h means that the S-spec number is either QML8,
SL6EP, or SL6K2. QML8 is unlikely, since this is a Quality Sample.

The bottom line: it is most definitely a 32-bit CPU. It does have
2 hyperthreads; so a Linux kernel with SMP enabled will see 2 logical
processors.

Now, my next step is to figure out what memory SIMMs to order.
I'd like to install four 1G SIMMs, if they exist for this motherboard.
But the devil is in the details.

During POST, when the RAM is being tested, the following appears on
the screen:

SE7500CW20.86B.0034.P17.0522031027

Maybe that means something to you?

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 08-23-2012, 03:16 AM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Stephen Powell wrote:
> Hmm. Well, it appears that CPUIDs are not unique. I've done some more

No, indeed they're not. But there is no 64-bit processor with CPUID
0F27h. Fortunately, there are precious few cpuids that are shared by 32
and 64-bit processors.

> The CPUID of 0F27h means that the S-spec number is either QML8,
> SL6EP, or SL6K2. QML8 is unlikely, since this is a Quality Sample.

And you can find data about processors by their S-SPEC in
http://ark.intel.com.

> The bottom line: it is most definitely a 32-bit CPU. It does have
> 2 hyperthreads; so a Linux kernel with SMP enabled will see 2 logical
> processors.

Yes. And since it is netburst-based, you might actually be better off
with hyperthreading disabled. Depends on what you'll use the box for.

> Now, my next step is to figure out what memory SIMMs to order.
> I'd like to install four 1G SIMMs, if they exist for this motherboard.
> But the devil is in the details.
>
> During POST, when the RAM is being tested, the following appears on
> the screen:
>
> SE7500CW20.86B.0034.P17.0522031027

Motherboard Intel SE7500CW2, BIOS 0034 P17.
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/se7500cw2/sb/cs-006907.htm

Henrique Holschuh

Old 08-23-2012, 07:07 AM
Stan Hoeppner

On 8/22/2012 10:16 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

>> Now, my next step is to figure out what memory SIMMs to order.
>> I'd like to install four 1G SIMMs, if they exist for this motherboard.
>> But the devil is in the details.

DIMMs not SIMMs. SIMMs haven't been used in new systems for about 15
years.

You probably won't find that registered ECC DDR200 through retail
channels because of its age. If you do it'll likely be $100+/stick.
Here's the best deal I found on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-14-PC1600-DDR-200-Registered-ECC-1GB-Server-Memory-Micron-Samsung-/130718246446?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item1e6f6a262e

$50 for old RAM or $110 few all new guts? $110 gets you a new Foxconn
AM3 mobo, 2.8GHz 1MB L2 64bit 45 watt single core AMD retail CPU, and
4GB DDR3-1333 dual channel RAM-- 6.6x the memory bandwidth of the
Netburst Xeon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103888
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186189
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148541

I've used this combo to refurb 2 old machines now, including the machine
from which I've typing this. No problems so far with exactly one year
on this one. I've got a dual core Regor 3GHz 2x1MB L2 in this box.

If a single core 2.8 64bit Sempron is insufficient for your workload,
add $25 for a 65 watt 3.2GHz dual core AthlonII X2, $135 total:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103873

As long as the PSU has the 4-pin CPU power plug, and it should being a
Xeon board, you shouldn't need to replace anything else. And you've
basically got a brand new system, sans drives, for $110-135.

--
Stan

Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Stephen Powell

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 03:07:49 -0400 (EDT), Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Now, my next step is to figure out what memory SIMMs to order.
>> I'd like to install four 1G SIMMs, if they exist for this motherboard.
>> But the devil is in the details.
>
> DIMMs not SIMMs. SIMMs haven't been used in new systems for about 15
> years.

Right. They are Dual In-line Memory Modules, not Single In-line Memory
Modules. Old habits die hard.

> You probably won't find that registered ECC DDR200 through retail
> channels because of its age. If you do it'll likely be $100+/stick.
> Here's the best deal I found on Ebay:
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-14-PC1600-DDR-200-Registered-ECC-1GB-Server-Memory-Micron-Samsung-/130718246446?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item1e6f6a262e

Hmm. I'm not even sure if this is the right kind of memory. Plus,
I only need 4. What would I do with the other 10? I went to the web site
of an outfit I've dealt with before, http://www.oempcworld.com, and I
found a way to specify my system by entering the motherboard number.
I told it I had an Intel SE7500CW2. Here's the page it took me to:

http://www.oempcworld.com/configurator/configurator.php?mch=SE7500CW2&mfr=Intel&mdn=SE750 0+Mainboard+Series

They are charging about $30 per DIMM, so four of them would be about
$120.

> $50 for old RAM or $110 few all new guts? $110 gets you a new Foxconn
> AM3 mobo, 2.8GHz 1MB L2 64bit 45 watt single core AMD retail CPU, and
> 4GB DDR3-1333 dual channel RAM-- 6.6x the memory bandwidth of the
> Netburst Xeon.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103888
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186189
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148541
>
> I've used this combo to refurb 2 old machines now, including the machine
> from which I've typing this. No problems so far with exactly one year
> on this one. I've got a dual core Regor 3GHz 2x1MB L2 in this box.
>
> If a single core 2.8 64bit Sempron is insufficient for your workload,
> add $25 for a 65 watt 3.2GHz dual core AthlonII X2, $135 total:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103873

Hmm. That's worth mulling over. But I generally like to get hardware
when it's at least 3 or 4 years old. That way, I can usually run
Debian stable and have all the device drivers work with no problems.
I worry particularly about the mobo with an on-board bleeding edge
Nvidia video chipset. This thing is about 10 years old, but since
it was originally intended to be used as a high-end server, it should
make a decent desktop system even today.

> As long as the PSU has the 4-pin CPU power plug, and it should being a
> Xeon board, you shouldn't need to replace anything else. And you've
> basically got a brand new system, sans drives, for $110-135.

I don't see the 4-pin CPU power plug to which you refer coming out
of the power supply. (Yes, I finally broke down and took the cover
off.) Of course, it does have several spare 4-pin power connectors
designed for peripherals, such as hard disks, CD-ROM drives, etc.
But I suspect you are referring to something smaller.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 08-24-2012, 05:57 AM
Bob Proulx

Stephen Powell wrote:
> Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > As long as the PSU has the 4-pin CPU power plug, and it should being a
> > Xeon board, you shouldn't need to replace anything else. And you've
> > basically got a brand new system, sans drives, for $110-135.
>
> I don't see the 4-pin CPU power plug to which you refer coming out
> of the power supply. (Yes, I finally broke down and took the cover
> off.) Of course, it does have several spare 4-pin power connectors
> designed for peripherals, such as hard disks, CD-ROM drives, etc.
> But I suspect you are referring to something smaller.

Here is a reference for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)#ATX12V_standard

Most newer motherboards now require this addtional power connector.
But if your power supply does not provide one then you can add an
adaptor and convert one of the 4-pin power connectors to the ATX12V
4-pin motherboard power connector. That works fine. I have done that
on a couple of systems.

Bob