-   -   Detecting the format of a data stream. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/696074-detecting-format-data-stream.html)

08-20-2012 09:38 PM

Detecting the format of a data stream.

http://www.learner.org/faq/faq_broadband.html#broadband1 informs,
"The VoDs play in either Windows Media or Flash format. Users of Internet
Explorer on Windows will generally see the VoDs in Windows Media format.
Users of other browsers on Windows machines, or users on other platforms,
will generally see Flash.
How do I view the videos on my iPad?
Since most of the videos are in Flash, you'll have to download an app that
allows you to play Flash on your device."

Hopefully that really means "... most of the videos are in [WMV and] Flash, ...".
Ideally Iceweasel receives the WMV and interprets it successfully.

To troubleshoot, I want to detect whether it is WMV or Flash flying over the
connection. Is tshark needed? Is there a simpler means?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Telephone +13606390202. Bcc: peter at easthope.ca http://carnot.yi.org/

08-20-2012 10:08 PM

Detecting the format of a data stream.

http://www.learner.org/faq/faq_broadband.html#broadband1 informs,
"The VoDs play in either Windows Media or Flash format. Users of Internet
Explorer on Windows will generally see the VoDs in Windows Media format.
Users of other browsers on Windows machines, or users on other platforms,
will generally see Flash.
How do I view the videos on my iPad?
Since most of the videos are in Flash, you'll have to download an app that
allows you to play Flash on your device."

Hopefully that really means "... most of the videos are in [WMV and] Flash, ...".
Iceweasel should receive the WMV but Flash might be sent.

Is tshark recommended to detect whether it is WMV or Flash on the connection?
Is there a simpler means?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Darac Marjal 08-21-2012 11:13 AM

Try "mplayer -identify http://example.com/stream".