Old 08-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Lisi

Default man in the middle attack ?

On Tuesday 21 August 2012 10:41:35 Keith McKenzie wrote:
> On 21 August 2012 07:54, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Self-agrandisement is almost a duty in some cultures. *In others it is
> > very much frowned on.
>
> [...]
>
> > Lisi
>
> Wow! - I wonder how many (international) people are going to
> understand that. *:-)

And does it matter if they didn't? The other bit was quite clear. Anyone who
didn't understand and wished to do so could either look it up or ask me.
Most people wouldn't care, even if they read it, which most people don't.
They just scim emails. How otherwise could anyone keep up with so much
email. And that applies what ever vocabulary one uses.

It is patronising to say: these poor people don't speak English as well as I
do, I must take care not to go above Janet and John level. (Now that _is_ an
obscure reference to many native speakers as well as to many others. The
Janet and John books were a series of early readers for children just
learning to read. They were _awful_. (IMHO, at least)).

Lisi

Old 08-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Dr Beco

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Dr Beco <rcb@beco.cc> wrote:
> Aidan wrote:
>> Now I'm really curious, but confused. Why did the presence of another
>> server change the key on the original server? Or did you mean that an
>> old server was, in error, put up in place of the one you set up earlier
>> (before the warning from SSH)?

Dear Aidan,

As I suspected, after reconnecting the correct server and turning the
old one off, I could login from my notebook without any warnings. And
I kept the same know_hosts as it was before the problem.

Regards,
Beco

--
Dr. Beco
A.I. research, Cognitive Scientist and Philosopher

Old 08-22-2012, 05:17 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Ma, 21 aug 12, 09:36:00, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> Please don't make haste in assuming malice.

This was meant as "please don't assume intent to attack/offend/etc/...".
I'm sorry if my bad wording offended someone, that was not my intention.

The rest still stands:

> Communication via e-mail between people of different native languages
> and cultures is quite a challenge, especially for humor and sarcasm.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
>
> - A good rule of thumb: Be conservative in what you send and
> liberal in what you receive. You should not send heated messages
> (we call these "flames") even if you are provoked. On the other
> hand, you shouldn't be surprised if you get flamed and it's
> prudent not to respond to flames.
>
> [...]
>
> - Remember that the recipient is a human being whose culture,
> language, and humor have different points of reference from your
> own. Remember that date formats, measurements, and idioms may
> not travel well. Be especially careful with sarcasm.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Panayiotis Karabassis

On 08/20/2012 11:48 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 22:43 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Hi Dr. Beco A.I. research, Cognitive Scientist and Philosopher Linux
>> Counter #201942,
>>
>> take an educated guess or ask one of your A.I. thingy to take an
>> educated guess.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ralf
>>
>> PS: When I was a child one of my heroes was
>> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Weizenbaum , he still is. Most
>> teachers are a PITA.
>
> PS: "Weizenbaum bezeichnete sich selbst als Dissidenten und Ketzer der
> Informatik." I'm, unable to translate this 100% correct. But he was and
> for me he still is that way, especially regarding to guys with
> signatures similar to "A.I. research, Cognitive Scientist and
> Philosopher Linux Counter #201942" Barf!

Haha, now I have taken offence! :-) I do not think that the computer
science community is especially filled with pompous people. That's a
social issue. Quite a few c.s. professors I have known are expert
programmers. And perhaps someone simply wants to deal with computation
as an abstraction, that's far from useless. I was just trying to
understand where your critique was coming from.

I agree about teachers, but I think the problem arises when someone
starts to use his title and position and grandiose self-image to demean
and oppress people who are dependent on her/him -such as students- and
it doesn't look like this is the case.

Anyway, it's just a signature. He has configured his mail client to
include it in all messages, probably because people receiving it expect
to see it. Even though, 'Cognitive Scientist and Philosopher' is a bit
much, I would have gone for 'John Smith, Ph.D., Such and Such Lab.'

And... Debian is notorious for mistreating newcomers! I have had a
friend swear to never ask a question on Debian forums again, after the
reply to his first question.

P.S. Dr. Beco, please have the wisdom to be proud of the effort you have
given and the knowledge you have gained, but not of a piece of paper,
and the social privilege that comes with it.