FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Mic. and softphones .

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 22:15:30 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

(...)

>> I'm starting to think the problem can be Ekiga itself, because using
>> the same SIP account, with the same headset, going out from the same
>> DSL router and calling the same phone number, in my Lenny system this
>> setup works very well but in Wheezy is impossible to use.
>
> May other OS components cause this? Though I do not know what. )

It could be but I can't guess what.

The kernel version? Sure, but sound is working fine from the command line
utilities and also from another programs (e.g., gnome-sound-recorder).

The network card? My Lenny system uses a wired card while the netbook
uses a wireless adapter but I wouldn't give a penny for that argument.

>> In brief: consider testing a different SIP/VOIP program.
>
> I have searched Debian on soft phones and found
>
> ihu (would call sip for me)
>
> linphone - fails to run w/
>
> ALSA lib conf.c:4687snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0 ALSA lib
> control.c:951snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default:0
>
> and
>
> sflphone - calls but I do not here sound though all volumes on ALSA
> mixer were high.

3 on 3 fails. Wow. I love Linux >:-P

> And I saw no more soft phones in Debian from repo.s.

There are more (yate, twinkle) but sadly not available for wheezy :-(

> So far, ekiga is the best option for me, and I would say, most
> comfortable its GUI comparing w/ the above.

Errr, yes. Although I find more confortable/easy to use the old interface.

> But was is bad to me w/ ekiga is - its doc.s do not specify my problem -
> as what is expected to not work and therefore a fix is offered -
> works for me and therefore the fix works not for me - though the
> problem is listed by those fix makers but diagnostic is applicable for
> me and so their solution.
>
> Thus, both modes - mono and stereo, 8/16 kHz work w/ my SB:
>
> $ arecord -D plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 16000 -f S16_LE - | aplay -D plughw:0,0
> -c 1 -r 16000 -f S16_LE -
>
> BTW, as a workaround w/ latency for redirection of my voice (from mic.
> to speakers) ) Not what I wanted, but better than nothing.
>
> But ekiga does not echos my voice though as I have mentioned in other
> messages - mic. volume reflects my speech.

I've never had Ekiga echoing my voice, that's for sure. And not just
Ekiga but any other capture audio application I can remember. I don't
think this is the default, though, so you will have to fight hard to get
that working for you :-)

>> > . Voice redirection from mic. to speakers (they have mentioned on
>> > simplification of SB circuits - and I believe it is my case -
>> > therefore another mic. type is needed - do not know when - if ever -
>> > I obtain one);
>>
>> http://bit.ly/PEwU5U
>>
>> Google suggests using "jackd" to get this working (mic going through
>> speakers) among other solutions but I don't know if it's worth the
>> effort. In the end, what's your goal for having this?
>
> Sometimes, for singing is good. )

Ah, karaoke, yes X-)

> Thank You for link but sends me google start page.

Uh? :-?

Okay, I'll put the long URI (you will have to reconstruct it on your
side):

(search keyword: mic out speakers linux)

<http://www.google.com/webhp?
complete=0&hl=en#hl=en&complete=0&site=webhp&sourc e=hp&q=mic+out+speakers
+linux&oq=mic+out+speakers
+linux&gs_l=hp.3...2187.6675.0.6902.0.0.0.0.0.0.0. 0..0.0.les;..0.0...1c.d3pM2VuSJ1E&pbx=1&fp=1&biw=1 280&bih=888&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&cad=b>

>> I have in my radar "Jitsi" (https://jitsi.org/), it was an application
>> I've been following very close because I like the fact it's written in
>> Java thus can be used also from a windows system, although still not
>> tested :-P
>
> OK. Thank You. I just would not install software from non-debian repo.s.
> In case I will move it to a VM, then I will try it, though do not know
> when.

Fair, but the problem is that not all the packages are available for all
of the flavours :-(

>> > I guess ekiga people should make a diagnostic tool - that audio/net
>> > problems might be inspected more accurate.
>>
>> Sure. And what is worse, now there is no way to tell Ekiga what input/
>> output hardware device to choose, it has to be done from the GNOME
>> sound applet first :-/
>
> That's what I think is bad in DEs: they develop their software only in
> conjunction w/ whole DE instead of making working standing alone
> functionality - like konsole or kate from KDE, ekiga, evince from gnome,
> etc. Who prevents them from feeding command line parameters to the GUI
> programs - at least?!

Now you say... Ekiga does provide a nice command line debugging tool
(ekiga -d4 &) at least to debug the SIP protocol problem :-)

> I will look for ekiga list - may they will shed some light on the
> problem.

That's a very good idea.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/k0tlsd$mg3$15@ger.gmane.org
 
Old 08-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Sthu Deus
 
Default Mic. and softphones .

Good time of the day, Camaleón.


Thank You for Your time and answer.
You wrote:

> > May other OS components cause this? Though I do not know what. )
>
> It could be but I can't guess what.
>
> The kernel version? Sure, but sound is working fine from the command
> line utilities and also from another programs (e.g.,
> gnome-sound-recorder).
>
> The network card? My Lenny system uses a wired card while the netbook
> uses a wireless adapter but I wouldn't give a penny for that argument.

Then, Ekiga - diver versions + other versions of sound software? Just
ideas.

> 3 on 3 fails. Wow. I love Linux >:-P

Yet I really love Linux! Just more work needed, more packagers/testers.
May, w/ a time I will maintain a package but not for now. But I try to
report bugs when notice, though it seems a problem: where to send -
often maintainers would not accept it advicing me to talk to developers
directly (in my opinion it should not be - because sometimes
registration is required for that - that the maintainers for sure have
whereas common users - don't). Report just will be lost, and nobody
will benefit from it. - It is the rising power of free software, being
put down for diver reasons - like that simple denial.

> > And I saw no more soft phones in Debian from repo.s.
>
> There are more (yate, twinkle) but sadly not available for wheezy :-(

Out of repos/debian security testing is an issue for me here. - Unless
I make a VM where I will use all such programs from diver sources.

> > So far, ekiga is the best option for me, and I would say, most
> > comfortable its GUI comparing w/ the above.
>
> Errr, yes. Although I find more confortable/easy to use the old
> interface.

I didn't see those. What do You miss in new version?

I think they have to have an option of logging network connection -
similar like email clients do.

> > But was is bad to me w/ ekiga is - its doc.s do not specify my
> > problem - as what is expected to not work and therefore a fix is
> > offered - works for me and therefore the fix works not for me -
> > though the problem is listed by those fix makers but diagnostic is
> > applicable for me and so their solution.
> >
> > Thus, both modes - mono and stereo, 8/16 kHz work w/ my SB:
> >
> > $ arecord -D plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 16000 -f S16_LE - | aplay -D
> > plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 16000 -f S16_LE -
> >
> > BTW, as a workaround w/ latency for redirection of my voice (from
> > mic. to speakers) ) Not what I wanted, but better than nothing.
> >
> > But ekiga does not echos my voice though as I have mentioned in
> > other messages - mic. volume reflects my speech.
>
> I've never had Ekiga echoing my voice, that's for sure. And not just
> Ekiga but any other capture audio application I can remember. I don't
> think this is the default, though, so you will have to fight hard to
> get that working for you :-)

Do I recall right saying, You could speak w/ a softphone w/ a person -
but voice transmission was horrible? - Though echo service did not
return Your voice back? - In other words, echo service is not a prove
whither a particular softphone can be of use or not?

> >> > . Voice redirection from mic. to speakers (they have mentioned on
> >> > simplification of SB circuits - and I believe it is my case -
> >> > therefore another mic. type is needed - do not know when - if
> >> > ever - I obtain one);
> >>
> >> http://bit.ly/PEwU5U
> >>
> >> Google suggests using "jackd" to get this working (mic going
> >> through speakers) among other solutions but I don't know if it's
> >> worth the effort. In the end, what's your goal for having this?
> >
> > Sometimes, for singing is good. )
>
> Ah, karaoke, yes X-)

YES! )

> > Thank You for link but sends me google start page.
>
> Uh? :-?
>
> Okay, I'll put the long URI (you will have to reconstruct it on your
> side):
>
> (search keyword: mic out speakers linux)
>
> <http://www.google.com/webhp?
> complete=0&hl=en#hl=en&complete=0&site=webhp&sourc e=hp&q=mic+out+speakers
> +linux&oq=mic+out+speakers
> +linux&gs_l=hp.3...2187.6675.0.6902.0.0.0.0.0.0.0. 0..0.0.les;..0.0...1c.d3pM2VuSJ1E&pbx=1&fp=1&biw=1 280&bih=888&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&cad=b>

Oh, OK, thank You.

> >> I have in my radar "Jitsi" (https://jitsi.org/), it was an
> >> application I've been following very close because I like the fact
> >> it's written in Java thus can be used also from a windows system,
> >> although still not tested :-P
> >
> > OK. Thank You. I just would not install software from non-debian
> > repo.s. In case I will move it to a VM, then I will try it, though
> > do not know when.
>
> Fair, but the problem is that not all the packages are available for
> all of the flavours :-(

I know, that's why I'll keep fighting w/ Ekiga - as the best option for
Debian currently - the most developed out of Debian available. Until
new phones come into Debian. Or much time will pass and I will maintain
one in Debian.

> >> > I guess ekiga people should make a diagnostic tool - that
> >> > audio/net problems might be inspected more accurate.
> >>
> >> Sure. And what is worse, now there is no way to tell Ekiga what
> >> input/ output hardware device to choose, it has to be done from
> >> the GNOME sound applet first :-/
> >
> > That's what I think is bad in DEs: they develop their software only
> > in conjunction w/ whole DE instead of making working standing alone
> > functionality - like konsole or kate from KDE, ekiga, evince from
> > gnome, etc. Who prevents them from feeding command line parameters
> > to the GUI programs - at least?!
>
> Now you say... Ekiga does provide a nice command line debugging tool
> (ekiga -d4 &) at least to debug the SIP protocol problem :-)

Oh, yes! I saw that - just forgot - was looking for some option that
did not find, so halted for command line options.

(..)


Sthu.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 5033b78c.2165700a.7860.2607@mx.google.com">http://lists.debian.org/5033b78c.2165700a.7860.2607@mx.google.com
 
Old 08-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Mic. and softphones .

> "jackd"

I only can encourage everybody to use jackd for audio, when ever
possible. Jackd by far and away isn't perfect, but it's the most
comfortable [1] way to handle audio connections for Linux.

There's a GUI written by Rui Nuno Capela to handle jackd connections,
called QjackCtl. There are also command line apps to handle jackd
connections, jack_snapshot and aj-snapshot.

If you use jackd, than you only do yourself a favour.

Regards,
Ralf

[1] During a discussion about Lennart Poettering I heard how exactly
pulseaudio does adjust the volumes. Another audio engineer said
something similar like "every engineer handling audio in that way, would
be here and now fired". I only can agree.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1345568405.1507.24.camel@localhost.localdomain
 
Old 08-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Mic. and softphones .

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 23:30:00 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

>> > May other OS components cause this? Though I do not know what. )
>>
>> It could be but I can't guess what.
>>
>> The kernel version? Sure, but sound is working fine from the command
>> line utilities and also from another programs (e.g.,
>> gnome-sound-recorder).
>>
>> The network card? My Lenny system uses a wired card while the netbook
>> uses a wireless adapter but I wouldn't give a penny for that argument.
>
> Then, Ekiga - diver versions + other versions of sound software? Just
> ideas.

Yes, it can be a mix of all them.

Whatever, I find it very close to a regression but of course to prove
that point I would have to do the same testing in the same machine :-)

>> 3 on 3 fails. Wow. I love Linux >:-P
>
> Yet I really love Linux! Just more work needed, more packagers/testers.
> May, w/ a time I will maintain a package but not for now. But I try to
> report bugs when notice, though it seems a problem: where to send -
> often maintainers would not accept it advicing me to talk to developers
> directly (in my opinion it should not be - because sometimes
> registration is required for that - that the maintainers for sure have
> whereas common users - don't). Report just will be lost, and nobody will
> benefit from it. - It is the rising power of free software, being put
> down for diver reasons - like that simple denial.

Reporting bugs is (more times than I like) discouraging but I find it a
must to make things better, regardless the result of the report (fixed/
won't fix/closed/forwarded upstream...).

>> > And I saw no more soft phones in Debian from repo.s.
>>
>> There are more (yate, twinkle) but sadly not available for wheezy :-(
>
> Out of repos/debian security testing is an issue for me here. - Unless I
> make a VM where I will use all such programs from diver sources.

That's being a bit paranoic but won't convince to do otherwise.

For instance, I do trust Mozilla, LibreOffice repositories (or even the
kernel sources) as much as I trust Debian's. Of course, I would not
install a single file in my main system coming from a unknown/
unreferenced site that provides a ".deb" :-)

>> > So far, ekiga is the best option for me, and I would say, most
>> > comfortable its GUI comparing w/ the above.
>>
>> Errr, yes. Although I find more confortable/easy to use the old
>> interface.
>
> I didn't see those. What do You miss in new version?

I miss the way the main window shows the elements, now it's confusing. I
think I get less information than using the old Ekiga.

> I think they have to have an option of logging network connection -
> similar like email clients do.

That's one of the things I miss in the new version, the "general history"
window.

>> I've never had Ekiga echoing my voice, that's for sure. And not just
>> Ekiga but any other capture audio application I can remember. I don't
>> think this is the default, though, so you will have to fight hard to
>> get that working for you :-)
>
> Do I recall right saying, You could speak w/ a softphone w/ a person -
> but voice transmission was horrible? - Though echo service did not
> return Your voice back? - In other words, echo service is not a prove
> whither a particular softphone can be of use or not?

Maybe is that I'm confusing the terms, let's see... Yes, I can have a
normal conversation within Ekiga (I hear the called person's voice and he
can hear mine and also can take an "echo" test, sound is cranky and
distorted but it works) what does not work is Ekiga or gnome-sound-
recorder outputing my one voice from my system speakers while I speak.

In other words: I can't play karaoke but still can have a conversation
using a softphone :-)

The purposes of the "echo" service when using a SIP device (either a
softphone or standalone hardware SIP phone) are 1) to check that you have
configured your SIP account with the right values and 2) to test the
quality of your connection (jitter/latency or packet lost).

>> > OK. Thank You. I just would not install software from non-debian
>> > repo.s. In case I will move it to a VM, then I will try it, though do
>> > not know when.
>>
>> Fair, but the problem is that not all the packages are available for
>> all of the flavours :-(
>
> I know, that's why I'll keep fighting w/ Ekiga - as the best option for
> Debian currently - the most developed out of Debian available. Until new
> phones come into Debian. Or much time will pass and I will maintain one
> in Debian.

Yes, but when something fails is time to jump (or at least consider)
another options. Odd thing is that Ekiga (the upstream package) is at
3.2.7, the same version it had Squeeze and Wheezy/Sid... there have been
no updates for a couple of years? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/k10f7c$agf$14@ger.gmane.org
 
Old 08-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Sthu Deus
 
Default Mic. and softphones .

Good time of the day, Camaleón.


You wrote:

> > Then, Ekiga - diver versions + other versions of sound software?
> > Just ideas.
>
> Yes, it can be a mix of all them.
>
> Whatever, I find it very close to a regression but of course to prove
> that point I would have to do the same testing in the same machine :-)

That's what I was about to suggest.

> >> 3 on 3 fails. Wow. I love Linux >:-P
> >
> > Yet I really love Linux! Just more work needed, more
> > packagers/testers. May, w/ a time I will maintain a package but not
> > for now. But I try to report bugs when notice, though it seems a
> > problem: where to send - often maintainers would not accept it
> > advicing me to talk to developers directly (in my opinion it should
> > not be - because sometimes registration is required for that - that
> > the maintainers for sure have whereas common users - don't). Report
> > just will be lost, and nobody will benefit from it. - It is the
> > rising power of free software, being put down for diver reasons -
> > like that simple denial.
>
> Reporting bugs is (more times than I like) discouraging but I find it
> a must to make things better, regardless the result of the report
> (fixed/ won't fix/closed/forwarded upstream...).

Right, also "people come, people go" and therefore we never know what
their reflection will be. So, it is worth to try.

> >> > And I saw no more soft phones in Debian from repo.s.
> >>
> >> There are more (yate, twinkle) but sadly not available for
> >> wheezy :-(
> >
> > Out of repos/debian security testing is an issue for me here. -
> > Unless I make a VM where I will use all such programs from diver
> > sources.
>
> That's being a bit paranoic but won't convince to do otherwise.
>
> For instance, I do trust Mozilla, LibreOffice repositories (or even
> the kernel sources) as much as I trust Debian's. Of course, I would
> not install a single file in my main system coming from a unknown/
> unreferenced site that provides a ".deb" :-)

I'm really a bit (lot? ) paranoid - but it comes from sad experience.

> >> > So far, ekiga is the best option for me, and I would say, most
> >> > comfortable its GUI comparing w/ the above.
> >>
> >> Errr, yes. Although I find more confortable/easy to use the old
> >> interface.
> >
> > I didn't see those. What do You miss in new version?
>
> I miss the way the main window shows the elements, now it's
> confusing. I think I get less information than using the old Ekiga.

Yes, I got same feelings - though I'm new to it - because I think there
are not enough options to choose from or to configure, and it misses
log - to observe connections.

(..)

> Maybe is that I'm confusing the terms, let's see... Yes, I can have a
> normal conversation within Ekiga (I hear the called person's voice
> and he can hear mine and also can take an "echo" test, sound is
> cranky and distorted but it works) what does not work is Ekiga or
> gnome-sound- recorder outputing my one voice from my system speakers
> while I speak.

OK, now it's clear. So echo service proves ability to be heard by
called person!

> In other words: I can't play karaoke but still can have a
> conversation using a softphone :-)

OK. I got it, thanks.

(..)

> >> > OK. Thank You. I just would not install software from non-debian
> >> > repo.s. In case I will move it to a VM, then I will try it,
> >> > though do not know when.
> >>
> >> Fair, but the problem is that not all the packages are available
> >> for all of the flavours :-(
> >
> > I know, that's why I'll keep fighting w/ Ekiga - as the best option
> > for Debian currently - the most developed out of Debian available.
> > Until new phones come into Debian. Or much time will pass and I
> > will maintain one in Debian.
>
> Yes, but when something fails is time to jump (or at least consider)
> another options. Odd thing is that Ekiga (the upstream package) is at
> 3.2.7, the same version it had Squeeze and Wheezy/Sid... there have
> been no updates for a couple of years? :-?

OK. Good advice. I will think what to do - probably, I will try the
ones You suggested in a VM - will see how well sound card will work
there.

I think let's finish here - as we have considered all available
options, seems to me.

I thank You very much for You precious to me help!


Sthu.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 5034cb48.046c980a.4f98.53d6@mx.google.com">http://lists.debian.org/5034cb48.046c980a.4f98.53d6@mx.google.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:17 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org